The Student Room Group

Can I speak to some History University students?

Hiya,
I'll be applying to university in the new academic year (hopefully) since I'm in year 12. I study A level History and Politics with BTEC applied law. I would like to apply for these courses:
Uni of Chichester - Modern History BA (Hons)
Uni of Winchester - Modern History BA (Hons)
Uni of Portsmouth - History BA (Hons)
Uni of Sussex - History BA (Hons)

If you go to any of those universities, I would love to talk to you and see what they're like and what your experience has been like. Equally, if you can suggest another good university I could check out for a history course that would be really appreciated. My current predicted grades are History - A, Politics - A and BTEC Law - D*
Am I correct in thinking that you want to study in that general area? If so, how about Southampton?
Original post by thatcollegegirl
Hiya,
I'll be applying to university in the new academic year (hopefully) since I'm in year 12. I study A level History and Politics with BTEC applied law. I would like to apply for these courses:

If you go to any of those universities, I would love to talk to you and see what they're like and what your experience has been like. Equally, if you can suggest another good university I could check out for a history course that would be really appreciated. My current predicted grades are History - A, Politics - A and BTEC Law - D*

Hey! We have a couple of History students on Unibuddy that would be happy to speak to you: https://www.ucas.com/chat-to-students - if you filter down to the University of Chichester you'll see all of our students who are available to chat :smile: if you need anything else or have any more questions, we are more than happy to help!
Hiya,

Hey @thatcollegegirl!

I'm Courtney and I'm a third-year International Relations and Politics student here at the University of Portsmouth :smile: In my first year here I studied History and Politics and then changed in my second year, but I'd love to try and answer any questions you have regarding the course! :smile:

Courtney - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey @thatcollegegirl!

I'm Courtney and I'm a third-year International Relations and Politics student here at the University of Portsmouth :smile: In my first year here I studied History and Politics and then changed in my second year, but I'd love to try and answer any questions you have regarding the course! :smile:

Thank you. The main thing on my mind right now about Portsmouth, because it removes the worry of going somewhere less familiar and I'm unlikely to move out when I live in Southsea anyway, is what modules and stuff do you cover in the first year?

At my other choices (Southampton, Chichester and Winchester) they offer a modern history course while Portsmouth just offers History (with pathways). My main interest is modern history 1700s - present, although Tudor onwards can be quite interesting.

Secondly, how are you assessed in the first year; Coursework, takeaway exams, sit down timed essays?
Thank you! Xx
Original post by ageshallnot
Am I correct in thinking that you want to study in that general area? If so, how about Southampton?

I have since added the University of Southampton to the list. I was apprehensive at first but then have delved deeper and their Modern History with Politics BA course is so good. The modules are right up my alley; I found several in all 3 years that I'd love to study.
I have since added the University of Southampton to the list. I was apprehensive at first but then have delved deeper and their Modern History with Politics BA course is so good. The modules are right up my alley; I found several in all 3 years that I'd love to study.

Excellent! Being honest, I think Southampton and Sussex are your best options though it depends on your ultimate goal.
Thank you. The main thing on my mind right now about Portsmouth, because it removes the worry of going somewhere less familiar and I'm unlikely to move out when I live in Southsea anyway, is what modules and stuff do you cover in the first year?

At my other choices (Southampton, Chichester and Winchester) they offer a modern history course while Portsmouth just offers History (with pathways). My main interest is modern history 1700s - present, although Tudor onwards can be quite interesting.

Secondly, how are you assessed in the first year; Coursework, takeaway exams, sit down timed essays?
Thank you! Xx

Hey, @thatcollegegirl!

So in your first year, the modules are already chosen, which I'm pretty sure is the same at most universities, and then in your second year you have a few core modules but then have free reign and can choose the others that you find interesting/want to study.

Currently, the first-year modules are:

- Culture and Conflict in Europe, 1450-2000
- Debating the Past
- Fragments if the PAst: Understanding Sources and Bias
- Going Global: Encounters and Exchanges, 1450-2000
- Thinking like an Historian

Second-year core modules are:

-Introduction to Historical Research
-Masses and Modernity, 1750-1914

Then there are currently 17 optional modules to choose from which are very diverse, for example, one is 'From Revolution to Dictatorship Russia and the Soviet Union 1917-1941' and another is 'Underworlds: Crime, Deviance and Punishment in Britain, 1500-1900'.

Then in your third-year, you have your dissertation and currently 13 other modules to choose from.

All of this information can be found at https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-history, and are subject to some change.

Regarding assessments, it really depends on which modules you choose, as each module is assessed differently. However, on average the assessments per year are as follows:

- Year 1 students: 8% by written exams, 10% by practical exams and 82% by coursework
- Year 2 students: 22% by practical exams and 78% by coursework
- Year 3 students: 24% by practical exams and 76% by coursework

Living in Southsea is very handy if you do end up choosing the Uni of Portmouth! :smile:

Hope that helps a little :smile:

Hiya,

Exeter is really good for History - my son goes there and we have been very impressed with the pastoral care (the tutors are really good at responding within about a day when he asks for help) plus they have a huge range of history modules
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey, @thatcollegegirl!

So in your first year, the modules are already chosen, which I'm pretty sure is the same at most universities, and then in your second year you have a few core modules but then have free reign and can choose the others that you find interesting/want to study.

Currently, the first-year modules are:

- Culture and Conflict in Europe, 1450-2000
- Debating the Past
- Fragments if the PAst: Understanding Sources and Bias
- Going Global: Encounters and Exchanges, 1450-2000
- Thinking like an Historian

Second-year core modules are:

-Introduction to Historical Research
-Masses and Modernity, 1750-1914

Then there are currently 17 optional modules to choose from which are very diverse, for example, one is 'From Revolution to Dictatorship Russia and the Soviet Union 1917-1941' and another is 'Underworlds: Crime, Deviance and Punishment in Britain, 1500-1900'.

Then in your third-year, you have your dissertation and currently 13 other modules to choose from.

All of this information can be found at https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-history, and are subject to some change.

Regarding assessments, it really depends on which modules you choose, as each module is assessed differently. However, on average the assessments per year are as follows:

- Year 1 students: 8% by written exams, 10% by practical exams and 82% by coursework
- Year 2 students: 22% by practical exams and 78% by coursework
- Year 3 students: 24% by practical exams and 76% by coursework

Living in Southsea is very handy if you do end up choosing the Uni of Portmouth! :smile:

Hope that helps a little :smile:

Thank you. That is really helpful. Particularly the Modules and assessment info.
Hiya,

Hey! I graduated from the University of Chichester with a history degree! I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have
Hi @thatcollegegirl

Apologies, I have been on holiday recently!

Let me know if you still want to speak to a student from the Modern History course and I will try to put you in touch with one :smile:

Luke
Hiya,

Hi @thatcollegegirl

Whilst I realise that Hull is not on your list of places which you've named in your initial post, I just wanted to make you aware that we have the option on our website to speak to some of our current students, including Jess who is one of our History students - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student

I am also a History student at Hull, completed both my BA and MA at Hull and now in my first year of my PhD. History is a great course, I really enjoy studying it.

Hope this is of some help

Emily
University of Hull Student Representaive
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi @thatcollegegirl

Whilst I realise that Hull is not on your list of places which you've named in your initial post, I just wanted to make you aware that we have the option on our website to speak to some of our current students, including Jess who is one of our History students - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student

I am also a History student at Hull, completed both my BA and MA at Hull and now in my first year of my PhD. History is a great course, I really enjoy studying it.

Hope this is of some help

Emily
University of Hull Student Representaive

Thank you, I really appreciate the help! xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending