The Student Room Group

Disappointed by university grades

It’s quite frustrating! But my university grades are looking a bit down at the minute . I’m doing some of the harder modules the readings are dense and I’m not really enjoying it but i literally just want to get this degree over with. I’m in first year and my first ever philosophy essay went surprisingly well ! I was happy . Up until I got my second history essay back and got lower than what I got in my practice essay. To put it into perspective I FAILED and got 38%? What ! I read my feedback a lot of it included things like focus on the source and how alot of it was interesting but it had nothing to do with the source so I suppose that’s completely fair. However I’ve handed in another source analysis for another module and I’m nervous that I’ll fail again. I handed it in on time unlike the one I failed , I think that’s why the marker deducted marks for late submission or else how can someone fail a first year essay 😭 I mean to be fair it’s highly plausible , university seems to be humbling us all haha… does anyone have any advice on how to do better by any chance ? I understand with philosophy there should be a balance strikes between unique perspective and philosophers and their own theories whilst remaining focused on the question and having accurate knowledge . History is a bit of a blunder . I would appreciate advice on both degrees if possible 🥰
Reply 1
The mechanics of writing a history paper are largely the same as writing a philosophy paper (I am a philosopher who also works in history of phil): an argument (your own) supported by and critiqued by alternative ideas, supplemented with close attention to and critical interpretation of sources.

Your academic advisor should be able to help with this, as should the library, and the markers of the papers themselves.

Some Oxon guidance

Some Harvard guidance
Hi hi!

Okay, I hear you, in the same boat about feeling crap about grades!

First of all - can I ask what year you're in? When it comes to late submissions (at least with my uni) depending on how long after the deadline you submit it, they either cap it at 40% (a pass) or fail you.

In terms of tips I can give you to give you a hand with better grades, here's some stuff that I do (I'm in final year)

Prepare a good few weeks before the deadline (if you can)
I always find that I have more motivation at the start of the term. Let's say you get a philosophy assignment about Utilitarianism, for example (I did Philosophy at A Level, hehe) - start your research. Has anyone written a similar paper? Any recent news articles? Can you find any sources that aren't on the research paper?

When citing sources, I'll be honest, I use a website to do all my citations for me. Just Google 'Reference Generator' and you're good to go.

Focus on your writing style
Uni essays are hard when it comes to how you right. Make sure you're not saying 'I' or 'we'; change it for words like 'this essay will' or 'this project'.

Switch up your vocab to - instead of saying 'for example' over and over, maybe say 'for instance', 'for proof'

Re-edit and reread
Keep reading through your essay - is there anything you notice that you maybe do not like in your first draft, or does anything not sound analysed enough. Explain!

Critique
Let's say you find a paper that you like - do other papers exist that discount their arguments? Use it as a way to properly critique it

Peer help
Ask a friend to give it a read!

Try and get it done before the deadline
Leaving stuff to the last minute is soooo stressful. Its so easy to do. Give yourself enough time to try and have it done before the deadline. Then, if you're done a couple of days before it is due, you can sit in bed, with your phone or laptop, and just read it to yourself

YOUVE GOT THIS!!
Original post by 887gi6676
It’s quite frustrating! But my university grades are looking a bit down at the minute . I’m doing some of the harder modules the readings are dense and I’m not really enjoying it but i literally just want to get this degree over with. I’m in first year and my first ever philosophy essay went surprisingly well ! I was happy . Up until I got my second history essay back and got lower than what I got in my practice essay. To put it into perspective I FAILED and got 38%? What ! I read my feedback a lot of it included things like focus on the source and how alot of it was interesting but it had nothing to do with the source so I suppose that’s completely fair. However I’ve handed in another source analysis for another module and I’m nervous that I’ll fail again. I handed it in on time unlike the one I failed , I think that’s why the marker deducted marks for late submission or else how can someone fail a first year essay 😭 I mean to be fair it’s highly plausible , university seems to be humbling us all haha… does anyone have any advice on how to do better by any chance ? I understand with philosophy there should be a balance strikes between unique perspective and philosophers and their own theories whilst remaining focused on the question and having accurate knowledge . History is a bit of a blunder . I would appreciate advice on both degrees if possible 🥰

Hello.

Some things I would suggest to implement into your studying routine is to do lists. They help you to remember exactly what to work on, they keep you accountable too. Net, find the best place to work in, eg a café shop. Also do read up on all the comments the tutor makes and make sure you follow each and everyone of them, if you do not understand then please speak to your tutor, they will be willing to help you out. Do not dwell on the failed essay, yes it is hard, but try to focus now on your upcoming essays and exams.

You have got this,
All the best,
Hassa, Student Ambassador Liverpool Hope University.
Reply 4
Original post by MollyYvonne
Hi hi!

Okay, I hear you, in the same boat about feeling crap about grades!

First of all - can I ask what year you're in? When it comes to late submissions (at least with my uni) depending on how long after the deadline you submit it, they either cap it at 40% (a pass) or fail you.

In terms of tips I can give you to give you a hand with better grades, here's some stuff that I do (I'm in final year)

Prepare a good few weeks before the deadline (if you can)
I always find that I have more motivation at the start of the term. Let's say you get a philosophy assignment about Utilitarianism, for example (I did Philosophy at A Level, hehe) - start your research. Has anyone written a similar paper? Any recent news articles? Can you find any sources that aren't on the research paper?

When citing sources, I'll be honest, I use a website to do all my citations for me. Just Google 'Reference Generator' and you're good to go.

Focus on your writing style
Uni essays are hard when it comes to how you right. Make sure you're not saying 'I' or 'we'; change it for words like 'this essay will' or 'this project'.

Switch up your vocab to - instead of saying 'for example' over and over, maybe say 'for instance', 'for proof'

Re-edit and reread
Keep reading through your essay - is there anything you notice that you maybe do not like in your first draft, or does anything not sound analysed enough. Explain!

Critique
Let's say you find a paper that you like - do other papers exist that discount their arguments? Use it as a way to properly critique it

Peer help
Ask a friend to give it a read!

Try and get it done before the deadline
Leaving stuff to the last minute is soooo stressful. Its so easy to do. Give yourself enough time to try and have it done before the deadline. Then, if you're done a couple of days before it is due, you can sit in bed, with your phone or laptop, and just read it to yourself

YOUVE GOT THIS!!

In philosophy and history it is 100% expected that you use the first-person pronoun 'I'. It is your argument.
It happens. You just have to take it on the chin, apply the feedback and keep trying really. Don't be afraid to talk to your tutor more for clarification on where you can improve.
Original post by 887gi6676

Hi! Whilst I don't personally study either of your subjects, I think all university students can relate to getting worse grades on an essay than expected (I certainly can!). My main piece of advice is not to become disheartened, first year is a time where most people will mess up at some point and universities expect that. For the next essay you write, I would recommend going back over all your previous feedback and making sure you incorporate it into your work. For example, if you found yourself going off topic, maybe try planning your paragraphs in more detail so that you stay on track. Additionally, most universities will allow you to contact the marker or someone associated with your module to go over your essay feedback in a meeting and maybe rewrite a paragraph or two so you can see how it should have been done. Your library may also have resources for how to write essays for your subjects and study skills, etc.
Good luck on your next essay!
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergraduate at Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending