The Student Room Group

What uni course should I take???

Hi, I'm in year 12 and I'm studying History, Politics, Maths and Philosophy. I think I might want to study History and Politics at university but I'm afraid I wont be able to get a stable career with that. I could alternatively study Law, which is a more set career option, but I don't think I'll enjoy it as much. Please help me, what should I study???
Reply 1
I don’t have any knowledge about these specific degree courses but I’d suggest looking to see the typical career path of someone who’s done those degrees. This could give you an idea and help you choose. I hope this is helpful!
Hey there! :gthumb:

Although I don't study any of these subjects, it's great to hear you're planning ahead and thinking about your future. There are opportunities around every corner and it is definitely important, in my opinion, to take a course and career path that you're really interested in and enjoy learning about. After all, the more engaged you are with the course, the more you'll do well in it and go further!

As far as careers advice goes, I would definitely recommend trying to speak to some students or staff studying/teaching those courses at uni to get an idea of their experiences and where they are aiming to be with their careers in the next few years or what opportunities might be out there for you.

Unibuddy is a great site for this and many universities have students and staff ready to chat with you about your possible studies. https://unibuddy.com/for-students/ is where you can search for a university you're interested in or you can speak to anyone for general or specific advice here on our platform too [url= https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/unibuddy] https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/unibuddy .

I'd also recommend speaking to students and staff and finding out more information at university open days which are a great way of making the right choice for you.

Good luck with choosing your studies!

- Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep :h:
Reply 3
Original post by Iced_Tea
Hi, I'm in year 12 and I'm studying History, Politics, Maths and Philosophy. I think I might want to study History and Politics at university but I'm afraid I wont be able to get a stable career with that. I could alternatively study Law, which is a more set career option, but I don't think I'll enjoy it as much. Please help me, what should I study???

That’s an easy one to answer. Do History and Politics, or whatever you think you will enjoy, as the large majority of people end up in careers not related to their degrees anyway.
Reply 4
The point about 'doing a degree' is not actually about the subject matter - its about the 'higher thinking skills' you gain.
This is why you see job adverts that require 'graduate - any discipline'.

Do what you enjoy.
Think about a career later.

Do what you enjoy, otherwise you'll end up stuck doing something you're not even passionate about

Hi there!

I think it's very important to do something you'll enjoy at university! You should also keep in mind that while a university degree does much more than set you up for a career related to what you study. A degree opens many many doors for you, in many different places. It's nothing you have to look at now, but there are these things called "graduate schemes" which are basically jobs which are open to pretty much all university graduates, regardless of the course they studied. Conclusion: study what will make you happy :smile:

Hi @Iced_Tea

Choosing a course to study at uni is such a tough choice. I think the most important thing is to choose a course you enjoy and want to study as then you'll be more motivated to go to lectures, do the extra reading and do well. Here's a link to Loughborough's History and Politics course page and if you go down to the 'your future career' section you'll be able to see what roles graduates from this course have gone into and at what companies to give you a bit of an idea of where you can go with this course.

I hope this was helpful :smile:

Jess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending