The Student Room Group

The ‘universal’ equation (differentials help)

DFAC1833-F1D3-42AE-B417-88A294D9A6A7.png85D00EF7-2859-428F-BB3A-FE7C295AD5A7.jpgBC831E7B-2496-445B-B924-E7EE47B330D2.jpg

I’ve attached my working and the question. I think it wants me to write it in terms of a, u, t etc rather than just z but I’m not sure how
Original post by Sophhhowa
I’ve attached my working and the question. I think it wants me to write it in terms of a, u, t etc rather than just z but I’m not sure how

Your problem is that, although dz/du = 1/(du/dz), it does not follow that
Unparseable latex formula:

\dfrac{d^2z}{du^2}=1\left/\dfrac{d^2u}{dz^2}

You have dz/du in terms of z, differentiate that with respect to u via the chain rule.

So, d^2z/du^2 = d(dz/du)/dz x dz/du
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Your problem is that, although dz/du = 1/(du/dz), it does not follow that
Unparseable latex formula:

\dfrac{d^2z}{du^2}=1\left/\dfrac{d^2u}{dz^2}

You have dz/du in terms of z, differentiate that with respect to u via the chain rule.

So, d^2z/du^2 = d(dz/du)/dz x dz/du

Ahh brilliant. I’ve got it now. I’m still not sure what it’s called though?
I’m still not sure what it’s called though?

Fixed point (?). Difficult to guess as your photos don't show any point. :iiam:
Reply 4

Nope :frown: if you look back at the photos it says to symbolically evaluate the 2nd deriv (which ive now done) then it just says what’s this point called
Reply 5

Nope :frown: if you look back at the photos it says to symbolically evaluate the 2nd deriv (which ive now done) then it just says what’s this point called

Send the link to this, otherwise it's very unclear what point they're referring to.

Quick Reply

Latest