The Student Room Group

How to create a forum website?

I am wanting to create my own forum website but I'm not sure how to start or what the best way to do it is. Do you have any advice on where to begin and what to use?
Reply 1
Original post by Bluelax01
I am wanting to create my own forum website but I'm not sure how to start or what the best way to do it is. Do you have any advice on where to begin and what to use?

There's about 10 forums for every possible niché right now. What would be special about yours?
Firstly, understand your vision/ end product.
Determine your functional and non-functional requirements.
Research for a web-application framework which best fits your product requirements.
Think about your database.

These are some very basic pointers towards building a web-forum.
Reply 3
Original post by deep_learning
Firstly, understand your vision/ end product.
Determine your functional and non-functional requirements.
Research for a web-application framework which best fits your product requirements.
Think about your database.

These are some very basic pointers towards building a web-forum.

Or alternatively get a cheapo licence for vBulletin and butcher the hell out of it.. just like TSR did! :laugh:
Original post by IWMTom
Or alternatively get a cheapo licence for vBulletin and butcher the hell out of it.. just like TSR did! :laugh:

or that hahah
First, you need to choose a topic that you're passionate about. Then you need to select a web host that can help you to set up your forum website. You need to choose a forum platform. There are many platforms like vBulletin, phpBB, etc.
you must choose a snappy name for it... 3 letter acronyms are always popular...

maybe

SRQ

UTS

:dontknow:
it would be too long to explain in a post. but most forums use php so maybe start from there? There are plenty of plugins out there (mostly in php) that you can use to just plug and play with no knowledge of web programming. So maybe you dont need to start from scratch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending