The Student Room Group

creating a website like student room

hi all,

i had an idea to create a website like tsr where people can create threads, private message etc etc but for another purpose. I really believe it’ll benefit so many people, and it’s something I wish I had. I’m not really interested in it becoming a source of income (if it is, then that’s a bonus!) but more so a hobby and a productive way to use my free time. This is genuinely the first time I’ve had an idea that I actually believe in. I’m willing to invest a small amount in it too as I go along

However, i’m not sure where to start. I have 0 computing knowledge. Also, I know i have to be careful around the data laws and all that, as well as trademarking the name etc. I’m in no rush really, and would love to learn as i go along and perhaps recruit volunteers in the future, but for now I’d like to get a rough draft of the website.

Where would I start? Any recommendations, tips for cheap website subscriptions? I’ve had a look at wix, but making thread options looks really complicated. I’m unsure if Id have to code something specifically for the website to have features like anonymous posts, etc, or if there’s a software/subscription out there to make it less complicated

(on anonymous bc i always feel more comfortable being myself lol)
thanks!!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
hi all,

i had an idea to create a website like tsr where people can create threads, private message etc etc but for another purpose. I really believe it’ll benefit so many people, and it’s something I wish I had. I’m not really interested in it becoming a source of income (if it is, then that’s a bonus!) but more so a hobby and a productive way to use my free time. This is genuinely the first time I’ve had an idea that I actually believe in. I’m willing to invest a small amount in it too as I go along

However, i’m not sure where to start. I have 0 computing knowledge. Also, I know i have to be careful around the data laws and all that, as well as trademarking the name etc. I’m in no rush really, and would love to learn as i go along and perhaps recruit volunteers in the future, but for now I’d like to get a rough draft of the website.

Where would I start? Any recommendations, tips for cheap website subscriptions? I’ve had a look at wix, but making thread options looks really complicated. I’m unsure if Id have to code something specifically for the website to have features like anonymous posts, etc, or if there’s a software/subscription out there to make it less complicated

(on anonymous bc i always feel more comfortable being myself lol)
thanks!!

just to clarify: with technology Im alright, i’ve designed a website before and what not but i have ZERO knowledge in terms of CODING and things like that
Reply 2
boost?
Reply 3
Maybe start by posting in the right forum, then you might get responses? I've asked for your thread to be moved from Relationships..
You just need to set up forum software, TSR runs on vBulletin which is paid, but there's free alternatives like phpBB, SMF, etc

You will need:

A domain name

Web hosting

Forum software installed

Forum software set up

Forum software design customised (as it's very bland and generic otherwise)

It's worth noting that generally the forum as a concept online is dying out now - very popular in the 00s and 10s but has seen less success in the 20s due to the popularity of social media and more instant platforms. Good luck
Not to discourage you but as noted above by King Charles III, forums aren't very popular anymore and TSR is actually one of the few ones that a lot of people still know about it, but even this site has hugely waned in popularity since 2013-2014 when it was absolutely booming. And as our sovereign additionally noted, this is mainly due to competition with things like instagram and tiktok. By all means continue with the project if it's a hobby but I genuinely don't think it will amount to much or pull in a huge number of members. What is this forum going to revolve around?
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
Maybe start by posting in the right forum, then you might get responses? I've asked for your thread to be moved from Relationships..

you’re right, i didnt check that i could also be anon on relationships whoops
Reply 7
Original post by Charles III
You just need to set up forum software, TSR runs on vBulletin which is paid, but there's free alternatives like phpBB, SMF, etc

You will need:

A domain name

Web hosting

Forum software installed

Forum software set up

Forum software design customised (as it's very bland and generic otherwise)

It's worth noting that generally the forum as a concept online is dying out now - very popular in the 00s and 10s but has seen less success in the 20s due to the popularity of social media and more instant platforms. Good luck

ah thank you, I’ll use this to set a plan for myself! Yeah I agree forums aren’t as popular anymore, and I’m okay with that
Reply 8
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Not to discourage you but as noted above by King Charles III, forums aren't very popular anymore and TSR is actually one of the few ones that a lot of people still know about it, but even this site has hugely waned in popularity since 2013-2014 when it was absolutely booming. And as our sovereign additionally noted, this is mainly due to competition with things like instagram and tiktok. By all means continue with the project if it's a hobby but I genuinely don't think it will amount to much or pull in a huge number of members. What is this forum going to revolve around?

no worries, i know it might not be as popular as social media, but i just think its a nice concept and something I wish I had. Plus it’ll be a good use of my time since I’ll be learning a lot and challenging myself in different ways

It’ll be like an online community for muslim girls. I realised there’s many group chats on social media’s, but they’re all young girls advising other young girls on topics they’re unsure about. So it’ll be nice to build a safe space for them online. I know there’s places like TSR, but it can be frustrating when people just question your choices or lifestyle rather than give advice, perhaps they can’t give advice as they can’t relate (which is fine). It’ll be set up like TSR, with different categories etc
Original post by Anonymous
no worries, i know it might not be as popular as social media, but i just think its a nice concept and something I wish I had. Plus it’ll be a good use of my time since I’ll be learning a lot and challenging myself in different ways

It’ll be like an online community for muslim girls. I realised there’s many group chats on social media’s, but they’re all young girls advising other young girls on topics they’re unsure about. So it’ll be nice to build a safe space for them online. I know there’s places like TSR, but it can be frustrating when people just question your choices or lifestyle rather than give advice, perhaps they can’t give advice as they can’t relate (which is fine). It’ll be set up like TSR, with different categories etc

Sounds like a good application of what a forum can be used for, I wish you every success :smile:

If you need help at any point, I'll do my best to give advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending