The Student Room Group

Physics Question Help

Hello, need some help with these Multiple choice questions.
Q7.pngq10.pngQ14.png

Scroll to see replies

For Q7:
I used Wiens Displacement
so
Wavelength x Temp = const
Wavelength1 x 750 = wavelength2 X 960
so
Wavelength2 = 750W1 / 960 = 0.78W1 = Option A but apparently answer is Option B?
For Q10:
Option A looks exactly like the Suns spectrum but has been slightly red-shifted but the answer is Option B?
For Q14:
I used the equation:
PV = 1/3Nmc^2
We're told PV is constant after a 1/3 of the gas is removed. so I thought

1/3 * 1/3 Nmc^2 = 1/3 Nm 3x10^5
Cancelling down this gives me the answer
C^2 = 9x10^5 which is Option D but the answer is Option C?
:bump:
Original post by Afrrcyn
For Q7:
I used Wiens Displacement
so
Wavelength x Temp = const
Wavelength1 x 750 = wavelength2 X 960
so
Wavelength2 = 750W1 / 960 = 0.78W1 = Option A but apparently answer is Option B?

For Wien's displacement law, the absolute temperature is used, so you need to convert to kelvin
(edited 3 years ago)
7. B
10. A
14. D
:tongue:
Ignore me, I'm just bumping :cool:
Original post by golgiapparatus31
For Wien's displacement law, the absolute temperature is used, so you need to convert to kelvin

Note that pV is constant, but not T. so use pV = nRT to work out the new temperature, then use pV = 1/3 Nmc^2

Thanks! I'm very silly Physicist!

Original post by ItsStarLordMan
7. B
10. A
14. D
:tongue:

OHhhh, now I get it!
Original post by Afrrcyn
OHhhh, now I get it!

Sarcasm, right? :lol:
Sarcasm, right? :lol:

Maaaaaaybe. :laugh:
Original post by Afrrcyn
Maaaaaaybe. :laugh:

Well, I think 10 is A. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure :dontknow:
Well, I think 10 is A. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure :dontknow:

I mean that's what I put but apparently it's not! :dontknow: Hoping someone can explain it to me before Monday :eek:
Original post by Afrrcyn
I mean that's what I put but apparently it's not! :dontknow: Hoping someone can explain it to me before Monday :eek:

No way is that wrong!

Note that pV is constant, but not T. so use pV = nRT to work out the new temperature, then use pV = 1/3 Nmc^2

Why would I use pV = 1/3 Nmc^2, if T isn't even in that equation, would I not use 1/2mc^2 = 3/2 kT?

No way is that wrong!

:laugh:
Original post by Afrrcyn

You have to convert temperature to kelvin.
Original post by Afrrcyn
Why would I use pV = 1/3 Nmc^2, if T isn't even in that equation, would I not use 1/2mc^2 = 3/2 kT?

:laugh:

Sorry

[Alternative method below]

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Afrrcyn
For Q14:
I used the equation:
PV = 1/3Nmc^2
We're told PV is constant after a 1/3 of the gas is removed. so I thought

1/3 * 1/3 Nmc^2 = 1/3 Nm 3x10^5
Cancelling down this gives me the answer
C^2 = 9x10^5 which is Option D but the answer is Option C?

1/3 of the gas is removed, so 2/3 N molecules are left. Using this, we get the answer
1/3 of the gas is removed, so 2/3 N molecules are left. Using this, we get the answer

Ohhh, yes, yes. I was using 1/3 and not 2/3! Any idea for Q10? Thanks for the help!
Original post by Afrrcyn
Ohhh, yes, yes. I was using 1/3 and not 2/3! Any idea for Q10? Thanks for the help!

As you say, there is a red-shift of the wavelengths.

But the change for each one is not the same, so the first 2 lines cannot remain the same distance apart, so it can't be A. We find that it is B, because it can't be C or D
As you say, there is a red-shift of the wavelengths.

But the change for each one is not the same, so the first 2 lines cannot remain the same distance apart, so it can't be A. We find that it is B, because it can't be C or D

Wait. it can't be the same, it that because of dWavelength/wavelength = Velocty / c, so each wavelength would change by different amounts, bigger the wavelength, the bigger the change?

Quick Reply

Latest