The Student Room Group

Physics GCSE Magnetism and Electromagnetism question

I need help with this 5 mark question:

Figure 11 shows the inside parts of the alternator.

The handle of the alternator is turned, causing the coil to rotate.
Explain why an alternating current is induced in the coil. (5 marks)

I will attach a photo below. I am very stuck and I do not know what to write. Would I refer to the motor effect?

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Its electromagnetic induction acccccccccccccc not dccccccccccccccccccccc, why wud ya write abt motor effect
Original post by Aabbyy
Its electromagnetic induction acccccccccccccc not dccccccccccccccccccccc, why wud ya write abt motor effect

It was the first thing I coulf think about and I haven't started writing yet, i don't know where to begin. What would I write?
Original post by TacticalDebation
I need help with this 5 mark question:

Figure 11 shows the inside parts of the alternator.

The handle of the alternator is turned, causing the coil to rotate.
Explain why an alternating current is induced in the coil. (5 marks)

I will attach a photo below. I am very stuck and I do not know what to write. Would I refer to the motor effect?

A magnetic field with a flux density in between the alternator exists. When the alternator is rotating around the axle, the flux density in the alternator periodically changes. That causes an alternating current (AC); this current depends on the flux density in the alternator and therefore changes periodically too.
(edited 3 years ago)
As the coil of wire between the two magnets is spun, the generator effect occurs as the coil moves relative to the magnetic field, cutting through magnetic field lines, causing p.d to be induced onto the wire. As the wire is connected in series to the circuit and each end is connected to a slip ring that carries AC output and allows for current in the coil to change direction in the magnetic field, AC is induced in the coil.

- Just revising for my Physics exam ( im Yr 11), should be able to get full marks with this level of detail. Hope this helped!

Quick Reply

Latest