The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2580
Original post by SmashConcept
Loved how he literally ran away when the reporter asked him if there would be a QB change.

Bortles winds up to his hip when he throws now. Same as Tebow did.

Yeah his motion is broken. It's particularly brutal because his O-Line is broken too. One injury and apparently they can't pass block any more. They could never run block so it's just a menagerie of offensive problems.
Thought all along Bortles wasn't that close to the best QB in that class. I never saw any part of his game that stood out except for being tall - just traits that were good-decent across the board.

It's crazy how quick this regression from serviceable to awful has been though. I haven't paid attention to the Jags, but just a couple of weeks ago my friend asked me which teams I would have at the bottom of my power rankings. I said the Browns (obviously) and mentioned that I would rather have Tannehill than Bortles and it wasn't that close. He seemed surprised by that and I don't think it was a popular opinion at the time, but obviously it would be considered a ridiculous statement of the obvious now. Barring a miraculous recovery, at least.
Reply 2582
Thought all along Bortles wasn't that close to the best QB in that class. I never saw any part of his game that stood out except for being tall - just traits that were good-decent across the board.

It's crazy how quick this regression from serviceable to awful has been though. I haven't paid attention to the Jags, but just a couple of weeks ago my friend asked me which teams I would have at the bottom of my power rankings. I said the Browns (obviously) and mentioned that I would rather have Tannehill than Bortles and it wasn't that close. He seemed surprised by that and I don't think it was a popular opinion at the time, but obviously it would be considered a ridiculous statement of the obvious now. Barring a miraculous recovery, at least.

He is the type of guy that will go and fix it in the offseason, he spent a lot of time on mechanics with Tom House in his first offseason so I assume he'll be back again in this one. He needs coaches that tell him when the motion is starting to get fruity so it doesn't turn into the ****ing fruit salad that he's currently dealing with. It's hard to make that massive adjustment in the season.
I'm not questioning his work ethic, I'm questioning his talent. I'm not sure there is a precedent for a player fixing their motion when it got this bad. Let alone the other aspects of his game. I understand that Brady rebuilt his, like Tiger Woods rebuilt his swing. But those guys broke down a great motion and rebuilt a greater one. Every time people say "oh [player] will go from bad to good if he has an offseason to work on it" it just never seems to work out.

And if he has to devote all his time to his throwing, I'm skeptical that he can improve the aspects of his game that also need improvement - decision making, pocket presence, timing, etc.
Reply 2584
He might just be bad. I'm no talent scout and now a proper homer but I watched a lot of his games last season and he looked like he could develop into a good NFL QB, maybe not elite but good was well within the realms of possibility. The whole 'garbage time' QB thing was a bit of a media myth. The Jags were in a lot of 4th quarter deficits but not irredeemable ones last season and Bortles made some really nice plays. He's never going to be Alex Smith for accuracy or Joe Flacco for arm strength but he looked like a guy who would have a net positive effect on your team. This year he's looked dreadful, that is an undeniable fact. He's been a huge negative for the Jaguars as far as his performance and I wouldn't blame new coaching staff for wanting a their guy next year. I like Dave Caldwell the GM though so I'd be sad to see him be a casualty of the Bortles/Bradley dumpster fire.
This game is much better than the dross at Twickenham last week, went to the wrong game.
Reply 2586
I've given up explaining Jaguars personnel decisions. Fire the OC of a floundering offense I can understand, promoting the QB coach of a dysfunctional QB I cannot.
Just saw Kirk Cousins' hail mary attempt lol
Original post by Wattsy
I've given up explaining Jaguars personnel decisions. Fire the OC of a floundering offense I can understand, promoting the QB coach of a dysfunctional QB I cannot.

They can't exactly get rid of everyone and install a totally new offense in a couple of days I suppose. Get rid of the OC so you can start the hiring process properly, have someone to run the offense until the end of a season you are tanking anyway and then clean house at the end of the season. That's the way I see it.
Hi
I have just launched a women's team in Tyneside called the Red Kites.
We competed in the BAFA summer series in August and are working on entry to the women's league in the New Year.
I attend an HE college so we don't have a team :-(
Reply 2590
BB again with the trades! Jamie Collins? Everyone rates that guy, now we have to discover that he was a system LB who will be mediocre outside of NE.
Original post by JanisJöro
Hi
I have just launched a women's team in Tyneside called the Red Kites.
We competed in the BAFA summer series in August and are working on entry to the women's league in the New Year.
I attend an HE college so we don't have a team :-(

Women's football is actually pretty dope. I have played with a few women now.

Original post by Wattsy
BB again with the trades! Jamie Collins? Everyone rates that guy, now we have to discover that he was a system LB who will be mediocre outside of NE.

Haha apparently he was the opposite of a system linebacker, going off script and ****. Wonder if Barkevius Mingo outplays him this year lol
Reply 2592
Women's football is actually pretty dope. I have played with a few women now.

Haha apparently he was the opposite of a system linebacker, going off script and ****. Wonder if Barkevius Mingo outplays him this year lol

Oh, tbf I've not seen any of the Pats this year but generally I don't mind off script when it's a player trusting their eyes. I can understand why BB hates it though, his system is like a manual movement watch; one mistimed cog and it all goes to ****.
Nora turner has resigned as Vikings oc
Original post by Wattsy
Oh, tbf I've not seen any of the Pats this year but generally I don't mind off script when it's a player trusting their eyes. I can understand why BB hates it though, his system is like a manual movement watch; one mistimed cog and it all goes to ****.

This has been held up as an example, just the second play of Sunday's game. Collins overpursues up the middle, and as a result Gillislee gets round the edge for a big gain. Not gonna make Bill happy. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000729975/Mike-Gillislee-finds-a-lane-for-28-yards
I'm still in shock after Wembley on Sunday. How the Washington Redskins didn't win is beyond me, especially when they had such an easy field goal in over-time.

But as a Bengals fan I'm happy about it.
At this rate it doesnt look like Romo will be getting his job back
Original post by Monkey_Pete
At this rate it doesnt look like Romo will be getting his job back

I am glad i was proved wrong on that one
i've just got back from Florida. Watched the Bucs vs Bears game whilst out there and it was amazing. First live American football experience and it was so enjoyable. Highlight was Winston's end zone escape to a 30 yard pass to Evans. Was unbelievable to watch unfold live.
Original post by ..DT..
i've just got back from Florida. Watched the Bucs vs Bears game whilst out there and it was amazing. First live American football experience and it was so enjoyable. Highlight was Winston's end zone escape to a 30 yard pass to Evans. Was unbelievable to watch unfold live.

That sounds like lots of fun

Quick Reply

Latest