The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Rokita2006
umm...sorry the word "whopping" has been used to the extreme... refer to BA in Geography a "whopping" 21.88 applications per place (using 2005 figures) ...but seriously who would imagine:confused:

Lol, I never imagined it got above 20... but 16 is still whopping compared to most other unis/courses, and it's higher than econs !
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
I've never really seriously paid attention to such admissions statistics anyway. Always seemed kinda dodgy to me. :biggrin:

Bottom line is, go with wherever your passion lies within.
yea...i did not even bother to look at it. It has absolutely no bearing on my decision to apply to LSE.
Reply 23
An economics teacher in my school got an offer of 2E's to do Economics at LSE. no joke. he rejected it to do PPE at oxford
Reply 24
and yet he's a teacher in a high school... the mystries of life...:biggrin:
Reply 25
^ Lol
asm1
An economics teacher in my school got an offer of 2E's to do Economics at LSE. no joke. he rejected it to do PPE at oxford

I guess he's too good and LSE desperately want him.
Reply 27
I studied BSc Economics at LSE from 1999-2002. When I applied it was around 14 applicants per place, so still pretty tough!

Saying that, they were more lenient on the maths qualifications you needed (now they hugely prefer grade A at Maths A level whereas I got in with the equivalent of grade B at AS Level under the Scottish system. All my other grades were A though, equivalent to AAAB at A level, so still not easy) to get in than they are now so it has probably become more difficult over the last few years.

I think something that has made LSE more difficult to get into is the declining economics reputation of Cambridge. When I applied, Cambridge still probably took most of the top undergraduate 'pure' economists in the UK with LSE taking a much smaller amount of the top UK 'pure' economists but bulked up with some great internationals. However, people are beginning to realise that the economics academics and graduate students at Cambridge are nowhere near as good as LSE (and Oxford too, which shows how Oxford has improved in economics recently and Cambridge has declined) and this is changing undergrad admissions patterns in LSE's favour. Warwick is also improving too for similar reasons.
John5000
I think I may have read before you got into UCL L100 as well.

What were your offers for the 2 courses and what made you choose?

Cheers

John

UCL was AAA and LSE was ABB (it might have been AAB?)

i don't think the difference in grades represented the quality of the courses, i think LSE only gave out places to people it wanted.... i got AAAAA anyways!
it wasn't a hard decision at all....i liked UCL and it is a good uni but in terms of general reputation it doesn't live up to LSE, and especially in terms of reputation for economics....i mean where better to study economics than the london school of ECONOMICS! LSE is far more world-renowned than UCL, ask any american! I knew I wanted to work in the city/finance, and city firms recruit far more from LSE than any other london uni as far as i'm concerned.
i mean possibly the atmosphere at UCL is a bit more 'studenty', but after 4 years I haven't had any complaints about the social scene at LSE!!!
you should also look at the course content- LSE's economics is probably quite a lot more quantitative than other unis- but i really am not sure about that.
LSE offered ABB to internationals? This is something new. From what i gathered usually internationals are offered AAA.
Reply 30
Deathscythe HG
LSE offered ABB to internationals? This is something new. From what i gathered usually internationals are offered AAA.

Yes, back then, they had pretty "low" offer requirements. But it didn't really matter, most students secured AAA+ anyway.
oh i see...i didn't realise he was refering to the 'old days'.
I asked a brit lecturer at the sorbonne and he was telling how masters had a good rep and undergrad used to suck and that they now have both very good rep. He then added "maybe sightly lower than harvard though" LOL.
Reply 33
Octavius85
I asked a brit lecturer at the sorbonne and he was telling how masters had a good rep and undergrad used to suck and that they now have both very good rep. He then added "maybe sightly lower than harvard though" LOL.

Goes to show how awesome this place is. I can't believe ppl hesitate between UCL and LSE...
Reply 34
me neither... what on earth are they thinking really. London School of Economics and Political Science!
Traum
and yet he's a teacher in a high school... the mystries of life...:biggrin:

One of the maths teachers in my 6th form got a 1st in maths at cambridge. He looks like that really intelligent guy from starship troopers. But yeha hes teaching maths at A level now....idiot.
Reply 36
supernova2
One of the maths teachers in my 6th form got a 1st in maths at cambridge. He looks like that really intelligent guy from starship troopers. But yeha hes teaching maths at A level now....idiot.

Idiot ?
Reply 37
Johan C
Idiot ?
I think he means for teaching, instead of just minting money in a bank. But that's down to personal preferences. Teaching's quite fulfilling, but I know which one I'd prefer. :wink:

Sen
mademoiselle84
city firms recruit far more from LSE than any other london uni as far as i'm concerned.

More than any uni in the country, in fact.

LSE's economics is probably quite a lot more quantitative than other unis- but i really am not sure about that.

For compulsory modules, LSE has more pure than anywhere else in my eyes, though not as much econometrics as UCL has.

i mean possibly the atmosphere at UCL is a bit more 'studenty', but after 4 years I haven't had any complaints about the social scene at LSE!!!

How much of your social scene actually revolves around LSE rather than the rest of London...? And would you say your perspective is representative of the whole of LSE?
President_Ben

How much of your social scene actually revolves around LSE rather than the rest of London...? And would you say your perspective is representative of the whole of LSE?

well as an ardent AU member i used to get the most out of wednesday nights and walkabout and friday nights at crush. all my friends in london are from LSE...and whilst i guess as the years progress i used to go out on wed/fris less, i still enjoy going to crush a lot!! don't get me wrong i used to go out to other places- but i think my social life did sorta revolve around houghton st. i don't know if my perspective is representative of the rest of LSE, lots of LSE student don't want to go out drinking at all...but life's what you make of it...and if you want to enjoy LSE's social scene then you will!! join the AU or something!

Latest

Trending

Trending