The Student Room Group

Do I need A-Level maths to study economics at uni?

I'm currently sitting my GCSEs starting in May and was wondering if I need maths as it's not my strongest subject. I feel as though If I take a combination of Economics, Computer science and Physics I have a stronger chance of getting an A*AA
Hiya, I think for majority of unis they would focus more on the grades that you get rather than the subjects, but it is individual to each university so I would recommend checking each universities website that you have applied to for more specifics as I know that maths could be a requirement Good luck with your choices and exams.
Reply 2
Original post by ebyrne2036
Hiya, I think for majority of unis they would focus more on the grades that you get rather than the subjects, but it is individual to each university so I would recommend checking each universities website that you have applied to for more specifics as I know that maths could be a requirement Good luck with your choices and exams.

Thanks
Original post by Prabal1311
Thanks

I'd just like to emphasis the "checking each universities website that you have applied to for more specifics as I know that maths could be a requirement" part of the advice that @ebyrne2036 has given above, as many universities will mandate A level Mathematics for the Economics degree.

For example:
University of Bath say, "A*AA in three A levels including Mathematics." (source)
University of Bristol say, "A*AA including Mathematics" (source)

Some are flexible:
University of Birmingham say, "A*AA (without A level Mathematics) AAA (with A level Mathematics)" (source)
University of Manchester say, "AAA, including A level Maths" for their BSc Economics course (source) but "AAA | Applicants must be studying at least one of the following A-level subjects: Accounting, Anthropology, Business Studies, Classics, Economics, English Language/Literature, Further Mathematics, Geography, History, Law, Mathematics, Modern Languages, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Use of Mathematics and World Development" for their BAEcon Economics course (source)

Some don't need it at all:
City University of London say, "BBB" (source)
University of Leicester say, "ABB" (source)
Reply 4
You will find that some people who take Economics do so as a route into Investment Banking and specifically apply to target universities, all of whom will require Maths. If you consider that you may want to go for Investment Banking then take Maths otherwise just take the subjects that will give you the best grades.
If Maths isnt your strongest subject, then you may need to rethink doing a straight Econ degree, especially at a competitive Uni, simply because you will find it hard going.

Have a look at subjects 'with Economics' etc as these will be less 'mathsy' and more about Economics in context :
Politics with Economics BSc (Hons) (bath.ac.uk) - only needs GCSE Maths, not A level.
BSc Global Development with International Study - course details (2024 entry) | The University of Manchester
Applied Social Sciences BA | Undergraduate study | The University of Sheffield
Maths is necessary for Economics at most top, Russell Group or equivalent, universities. Below that it isnt. Whether you need Maths for Economics depends on where you wish to apply to but as already said Economics is very Maths heavy at better universities and if you are not good at Maths it is probably going to be the wrong subject for you.
I prepared this a few years ago. if you are looking at a leading university and it isnt on here then it requires A level Maths.

Economics without A level Maths

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 5
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Loughborough grade 6/7
Nottingham grade 7
Queens Belfast grade A
Reading grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 7
Stirling grade 4
Srathclyde grade 6
Surrey grade 7
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 5
Reply 8
I'm currently sitting my GCSEs starting in May and was wondering if I need maths as it's not my strongest subject. I feel as though If I take a combination of Economics, Computer science and Physics I have a stronger chance of getting an A*AA

it’s not a requirement but as someone who has applied for econ w out maths a level it really would have been an advantage

like you can get into some unis that don’t require it like nottingham, or manchester for their ba etc but a lot of unis do have it as a requirement like an A or A* in maths, esp when it comes to top unis like oxbridge lse ucl etc u def need maths so i would go w it maybe even try it as a fourth and then drop it if after a few weeks if u aren’t liking it or drop another one of the four if you do
as someone who considered applying for economics but didn't do maths, I'd say that if you're aiming for russell group, it's better just to be safe. But there are universities that offer econ without maths, one that I looked at required maths for BS econ but not BA.

I think studying a level physics without a level maths would be more difficult, maybe just wait to see what grade in GCSE maths you achieve and then rethink.
Reply 11
Original post by orthopedic-rabbi
I think studying a level physics without a level maths would be more difficult, maybe just wait to see what grade in GCSE maths you achieve and then rethink.

I’m currently at a grade 8 in GCSE physics
I’m currently at a grade 8 in GCSE physics

Yeah I just meant that when studying A level physics you need some of the a level maths content like working with expomentials and logarithms.
I’m doing a joint honours right now, with one subject being econ, so slightly different than a pure econ degree, but I didn’t do maths a level at all. In fact I did four essay subjects, including English. At my uni A level maths is a requirement for just economics, but not as a joint honours. There definitely a few unis that don’t require A Level maths, but most Russell groups do unless it’s joint honours. To be honest, I think it’s very hard without a maths A level. I’ve had modules that are just A level further maths content and I’ve definitely struggled. But it’s not impossible, you just have to put in a lot of work because you wont know stuff that most other people do. So I’d say you don’t NEED to, but it will help massively with getting into uni and just with the content on the course.

Quick Reply

Latest