Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Survey: Only 18% of Germans would fight for their country watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd much prefer a less patriotic people than a people who would fight for their country just because it is their country. People who are not blindly devoted and would not put their lives on the line for a state that has often not acted in their best interests anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I would fight for my country if I felt we had to. 1] If another country invaded us and 2] If said invading country/ people tried to force us to change our way of life ,values and democracy and instill their own ideology and religion on us all. Then yes, I would definately fight. By that point it would be them or us. And I don't necessarily mean in an army. I mean fighting in the streets and local communities.

ReputationRep:
    I'd fight for the world in a war against aliens. That's about it. These modern wars about oil, religion, money and land don't move me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Especially when the last time Germany went down the mass patriotism "fight for your country" route it resulted in attempted genocide, I can understand why the stat might not be that high. What are the circumstances of this hypothetical war? Is Germany being invaded? Are they invading someone?
    "Attempted"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)

Those are some pretty abysmal figures from Western Europe. Even accounting for some things (e.g. very old population in Germany, and large immigrant populations in Western Europe) doesn't explain it away comfortably.

Here are some more statistics so some people can think of explanations for this phenonemon.

Demographics
    Europe's Demographic Decline

Source: United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division (2013). World Population Prospects: The 2012 Revision.projected populations based on the medium-fertility variant.

The increase in the median ages across Europe

AbortionRates

Economics
    YouthUnemploymentRate
    Youth unemployment in Europe: https://gfycat.com/PettyGlaringInsect (HTML5)

Employer Cost Of Paying Employee €1

Culture
    Cultural differences between US and EU

Misc.

That's a ****ing relief! Look at the last time the majority fought...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a patriot, and I would not fight for this country, I don't like what it is becoming, if anything I would welcome a war and possibly work for the other side if it meant a chance to get rid of the existing political elites and their chums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    I would fight for my country if I felt we had to. 1] If another country invaded us and 2] If said invading country/ people tried to force us to change our way of life ,values and democracy and instill their own ideology and religion on us all. Then yes, I would definately fight. By that point it would be them or us. And I don't necessarily mean in an army. I mean fighting in the streets and local communities.
    What if your own government decided to do all of those things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    I'd fight for a Britain that was worth fighting for. But giving up my life for some starbuck's frappe-guzzling slut to complain about microaggressions and 'rape culture'? Nah. Giving my life for some no-faced elite like Rothschilds/Soros? Nah.
    This is the crux of it. Europe (minus the former USSR) and the Anglosphere has descended into a guilt-ridden, self-hating, hippie commune. No sensible soldier wants to fight for a people so far gone, they just do it because that's what they get paid for.

The army is still good if you want to test your abilities and learn good survival skills. But otherwise the only thing worth fighting for is a community or tribe that you're proud to be a part of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    I'd fight for a Britain that was worth fighting for. But giving up my life for some starbuck's frappe-guzzling slut to complain about microaggressions and 'rape culture'? Nah. Giving my life for some no-faced elite like Rothschilds/Soros? Nah.
    What's wrong with George Soros? He's a self-made billionaire. Seems like a humble guy as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Germany - hardly surprising considering the relatively recent negative experience(s) of doing so.

There does seem to be a direct correlation tho, between how willing respondents are to say "yes" and how generally crap the country is. The nations with massive chips on their shoulders seem to have the highest percentages.

The Russians - who didn't like Communism, but can't get over not being an international big boy.
    Turkey - international sad case, head in the sand deniers of everything, had a genocidal empire but haven't got any guilt over it.
    Greece - watched far too much 300. Completely incapable of doing anything, yet love to big themselves up.
    Ukraine - well, they're actually half in a war, so it's hardly surprising.

It's also telling that the countries with the armies that could actually go to war and do something are the ones with the low percentages. They've got professional armies, so why does Joe Public need to worry?
    What do you say about Finland?

(Original post by Josb)
    I didn't expect Finland to be so high.
    Why? They are made to speak Swedish in school and there is constant propaganda about the 'threat' of Russia and how they could invade at any moment like they did in the past. So it doesn't really surprise me. Oh and they have conscription too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the wrong job if I said I wouldn't fight for my country; I don't care if it's the Russians, ISIS or aliens from Mars - the UK may not be perfect but it's better than 90% of other nations on this planet as it stands.

But in many ways you fight for your friends beside you at least as much, if not more than, you fight for the flag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    What if your own government decided to do all of those things?
    Yes. We would have to bring down the government and fight people who support that government if they tried to stop us.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, mindlessly saying that you'd fight for your country is a bit stupid. At the end of the day, it's the people in power that decide whether we go to war and for what reasons. If the UK got into a war that I didn't agree with (e.g. a war against so called Russian aggression), I probably wouldn't be willing to fight for my country. I think that if the question concerned fighting for British/German/European values like freedom and democracy a lot more people would be willing to fight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
    This is the crux of it. Europe (minus the former USSR) and the Anglosphere has descended into a guilt-ridden, self-hating, hippie commune. No sensible soldier wants to fight for a people so far gone, they just do it because that's what they get paid for.

The army is still good if you want to test your abilities and learn good survival skills. But otherwise the only thing worth fighting for is a community or tribe that you're proud to be a part of.
    Why are you so obsessed with the "Anglosphere"?

ReputationRep:
    The level of patriotism depends on the state of the country. Yea, you'd say you wouldn't fight for your country, but what happens when your neighbourhood is bombed the **** out of? that 18% will rise I am sure.
    Also, don't forget that 50% appx of the population are females, who generally are not going to be "fighters" anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)

Those are some pretty abysmal figures from Western Europe. Even accounting for some things (e.g. very old population in Germany, and large immigrant populations in Western Europe) doesn't explain it away comfortably.

Here are some more statistics so some people can think of explanations for this phenonemon.

Demographics
    Europe's Demographic Decline

Source: United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division (2013). World Population Prospects: The 2012 Revision.projected populations based on the medium-fertility variant.

The increase in the median ages across Europe

AbortionRates

Economics
    YouthUnemploymentRate
    Youth unemployment in Europe: https://gfycat.com/PettyGlaringInsect (HTML5)

Employer Cost Of Paying Employee €1

Culture
    Cultural differences between US and EU

Misc.

Well look at our figures if a quarter of us were to fight it would be 16 million people remind me..... How many did we field in WWII?

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Well look at our figures if a quarter of us were to fight it would be 16 million people remind me..... How many did we field in WWII?

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah. That's actually the very reason why I wouldn't fight for my country.

Why fight for your country when you can always rely on millions of others to do so.

Same goes for voting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Only 18% of Germans are German.
    You do know Britain has a MUCH higher share of people who have been born abroad or have foreign roots? It's so hilarious when Brits scream 'Germany gets overrun with immigrants!' while you cannot walk into a corner shop in Britain and see an Indian, or hire a handyman and a Pole shows up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Good.
    This. Fighting leads to suffering. I wish the number was even lower.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.