The Student Room Group

If you could instantly become fluent in any foreign language which one would it be?

Can include English if English is not your first language.
I'm excluding languages as Lorem Ipsum, sarcasm, punning, slang, trolling etc
Only name one language 🤷🏾*♀️.

Scroll to see replies

:bump:
Reply 2
German for me :smile: I wouldn't like to be instantly fluent in most of the languages I'm interested in, since learning them is the fun bit, but German falls in the sweet spot of "useful to know" and "I'm not interested enough to spend time learning it".

(BSL would be my real preference, but I don't think that counts as a "foreign" language!)
Original post by Interea
German for me :smile: I wouldn't like to be instantly fluent in most of the languages I'm interested in, since learning them is the fun bit, but German falls in the sweet spot of "useful to know" and "I'm not interested enough to spend time learning it".

(BSL would be my real preference, but I don't think that counts as a "foreign" language!)

I dont think that BSL would technically count but i'll count it if you're not already fluent in BSL.
Original post by Talkative Toad

Chinese or Japanese, because they are very difficult to learn, while being widely used
(edited 12 months ago)
albanian lol, my bf is albanian and his parents can’t speak english well, i’ve learn basic albanian to talk to them but wish i was fluent lol
Original post by minwom28818
Chinese or Japanese, because they are very difficult to learn, while being widely used

What about Korean or Arabic
Original post by Interea

German is a great language :wink:
Reply 8
Ancient Akkadian.
If I was to pick one to instantly learn, I'd want to pick one that I'd never want the burden of learning, if that makes sense?! :tongue:
For example, I'm learning Scottish Gaelic, but that's quite fun, and so I wouldn't want to suddenly know it... Ooh, but Spanish, I think! I know it wouldn't be terribly burdensome to go back and learn (I spoke it moderately okay-ly when at school, but it's been a few years!), but I just can't be bothered! I wish I could magically be fluent in that :smile:
Original post by londonmyst
Ancient Akkadian.

never heard of this language
Maybe Chinese or Japanese if it were learning a language from the beginning.

Really it would be neat to progress instantly from moderate to mother-tongue fluency.
(edited 12 months ago)
never heard of this language

Ancient Akkadian is the world's oldest documented Semitic language, spoken from the third millennium BC.
It was the native language of Babylonia, the Old Assyrian Empire and much of what is now Western Asia & Southeastern Europe.
Original post by londonmyst
Ancient Akkadian is the world's oldest documented Semitic language, spoken from the third millennium BC.
It was the native language of Babylonia, the Old Assyrian Empire and much of what is now Western Asia & Southeastern Europe.

ok thanks
Reply 14

I'm not bad at English. But I want to be as fluent as the Brits.

Though there are others which I would like to.
German, Chinese, Japanese or Korean
Reply 16
This is late but- Cantonese! Im really interested in the culture and if I could become fluent then it would help in my research and also help me get along with people :biggrin:
(edited 11 months ago)
Korean so I can turn off the subtitles
W9e8fgh0574uifgh548eruv - translated can´t understand me I´m talkin hieroglyphics
Either Greek or Mongolian ( Can't pick one)

Quick Reply

Latest