The Student Room Group

Are these a-levels suited for a course in medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Drop either R.E or psychology at the end of AS.

/thread.
Original post by Beska

Original post by Beska
You need to look up what "irony" actually means brah.

Let me explain to you,
Roxas13 said I was making myself "look like a tool" when infact they were "looking like a tool" as I do not care what other people think of me. Surely that is an example of irony.
Original post by spacepirate-James

Original post by spacepirate-James
who the **** are these "they"? sources for "preferring to take maths" please

:colonhash:

The majority of Universities offering medicine as a course.
Don't quote me on this, I'm not looking to do medicine ^^
The A-levels look fine to me (from experience of friends applying for medicine), just keep all 4 or drop psychology/rs. From what I've been told from friends looking to do medicine, there's no point in doing maths if you're going to get an awful grade in it...
Also, if you're worried about GCSE/A-Level grades, doing something such as Chemistry/Medicine related sciences at uni (though some do require maths...) can be a good way into a course in Medicine (so I've been told, I wouldn't take my word for it without checking...)
Reply 44
Original post by Roxas13
Would it be okay if only applied with 3 a-levels or would it be looked down upon?

three A2s are the norm. you might be looked down on if you did only 3 ASs though, best have 4 of them, then drop one, so you have three A2s
Reply 45
Original post by Amer Elaiwi
The majority of Universities offering medicine as a course.

No.
All you need is Chemistry and Biology the 3r/4th subjects can just be things that will enjoy.
Original post by Roxas13
I haven't got my heart set on medicine but I'm certainly considering it and would like to keep my options open. Here is what I'm thinking of picking:

Biology, Chemistry, Religous Studies, Pyschology

Would Religous Studies and Pyschology put me at a major disadvantage to other apllicants? Also, DO NOT TELL ME TO TAKE MATHS, THERE IS NO WAY I AM TAKING IT, I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO COPE AND I WOULD DIE.

My boyfriend did Philosophy, Chemistry and Biology and has two interviews for medicine! So you know, it makes you stand out from the other candidates I guess who have the usual bio, chem and maths? Good luck with what you choose :smile:
Original post by Roxas13
I haven't got my heart set on medicine but I'm certainly considering it and would like to keep my options open. Here is what I'm thinking of picking:

Biology, Chemistry, Religous Studies, Pyschology

Would Religous Studies and Pyschology put me at a major disadvantage to other apllicants? Also, DO NOT TELL ME TO TAKE MATHS, THERE IS NO WAY I AM TAKING IT, I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO COPE AND I WOULD DIE.

Must universities say they require Chemistry, and maybe Biology. The other two can usually be whatever you want, but I'd recommend that you should of took Maths and Physics as well. As most universities claim that doing subjects like Psychology and Religious Studies won't harm your chances, trust me they do. They just lie about it. Also, I might get neg rep for this, but Psychology is the most useless A-Level in existence. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest