The Student Room Group

A Level choices advice

I want to do business and chemistry (got 9 and 8 on my mocks) but I'm not sure what to pick as a third

I want to get into something in healthcare care, physiotherapy or even medicine.

Do you think I could pick business or media for my 3rd a level as a level maths is not the one for me. I could maybe do core maths for a year but I'm worried if this would limit my degree choices .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why not biology?
Reply 2
I agree with ajj2000, you should do biology. If you look at the uni requirements for the careers you mentioned they want bio and chem
If you want to go into medicine you need a second science for almost all medical schools, and biology gives you the most options. For other healthcare professions this may vary.
Reply 4
Original post by Mxh88
I want to do business and chemistry (got 9 and 8 on my mocks) but I'm not sure what to pick as a third

I want to get into something in healthcare care, physiotherapy or even medicine.

Do you think I could pick business or media for my 3rd a level as a level maths is not the one for me. I could maybe do core maths for a year but I'm worried if this would limit my degree choices .

The business and media are a bit random for medicine. Bio chem maths?? Or Sociology/psychology instead of maths
Reply 5
Original post by Student1#
The business and media are a bit random for medicine. Bio chem maths?? Or Sociology/psychology instead of maths

I think I got autocorrect there, sorry. I'm doing biology chemistry 100% but I don't know what to do for my third. I don't want to do maths because I know I'll struggle to do it for a level so I was thinking to just to business or media and core maths (one year) , would this limit my opportunities in healthcare or not?
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Why not biology?

Sorry that was autocorrect I think, I'm doing biology chemistry and don't know what to pick for third
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
Why not biology?

Idk why it said business and chemistry, I was meant to say biology and chemistry and idk what to do for my third
Reply 8
Original post by aaaburn
I agree with ajj2000, you should do biology. If you look at the uni requirements for the careers you mentioned they want bio and chem

Yeah my bad I meant biology and chemistry are the 2 that I'm 100% doing
Reply 9
Original post by Mxh88

I think I got autocorrect there, sorry. I'm doing biology chemistry 100% but I don't know what to do for my third. I don't want to do maths because I know I'll struggle to do it for a level so I was thinking to just to business or media and core maths (one year) , would this limit my opportunities in healthcare or not?

Slightly you should check the uni requirements for medicine tho. Personally I would take maths as it’s more advantageous - especially if you’re worried about it being too hard just remember that every alevel is difficult in its own matter! Also I’m taking it now and a lot of it stills feel like gcse so far 😭 yh not that big of a jump as everyone says. However if you do struggle tm I’m sure they will let you switch to core if that’s what you want
Reply 10
Original post by Mxh88

I think the standard advice for medicine is to pick something you are confident you can achieve a high grade in.
Reply 11
Original post by ajj2000
I think the standard advice for medicine is to pick something you are confident you can achieve a high grade in.

Also depends on what your alternative is i.e if you don't get into medicine uni what else will you do
Original post by Mxh88

If your not taking Maths look at Psychology or Geography as these are the best fits. If you are interested in taking Business check with the universities first. I wouldnt take Media for Medicine though.
Reply 13
Original post by aaaburn

Also depends on what your alternative is i.e if you don't get into medicine uni what else will you do

Not sure, something in healthcare though I think
Reply 14
Original post by Student1#
Original post by Mxh88

Slightly you should check the uni requirements for medicine tho. Personally I would take maths as it’s more advantageous - especially if you’re worried about it being too hard just remember that every alevel is difficult in its own matter! Also I’m taking it now and a lot of it stills feel like gcse so far 😭 yh not that big of a jump as everyone says. However if you do struggle tm I’m sure they will let you switch to core if that’s what you want

Core maths is a one year qualification so I can take another a level and core maths on top of biology and chemistry

The problem is I got a 6 on my mocks (3 marks off a 7) and my 6th form requires a 7 or above.
Original post by Mxh88

Core maths is a one year qualification so I can take another a level and core maths on top of biology and chemistry

The problem is I got a 6 on my mocks (3 marks off a 7) and my 6th form requires a 7 or above.
I'm sure you'll be able to score a 7 and above! I know you can.
Atp I would say just focus on your upcoming gcses. There is still plenty of time to get a 7 or +. And you can try again to get in with these grades on results day!
Most medical schools expect you to do 2 sciences, however if you don’t want to do chemistry AND biology, psychology counts as a second science and is MUCH easier than biology (i did biology and psychology)
Reply 18
You donthave to do maths if you want to do medicine as long as you do bio and chem.Im doing bio chem history thinking i wanted to do medicine but decided Pahrmacy was more suited for me.As long as you have both bioo and chem medical schools odnt really care what the third option is .If you want to do business i think thats a good choice as well beacuse as long as something you enjoy you should be ok to pick what you want
Reply 19
Original post by 670351
You donthave to do maths if you want to do medicine as long as you do bio and chem.Im doing bio chem history thinking i wanted to do medicine but decided Pahrmacy was more suited for me.As long as you have both bioo and chem medical schools odnt really care what the third option is .If you want to do business i think thats a good choice as well beacuse as long as something you enjoy you should be ok to pick what you want

Alright thanks 🙏👍

Quick Reply

Latest