The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry 7404/1 and 7404/2 - 27th May 2016 and 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CBMFM99
The exam wasn't easy in my opinion. Some questions were quite hard. The grade boundaries might look something like this:

A-59
B-53
C-49
D-44
E-38
Give or take some marks
Remember there aren't any resists to skew the marks higher as well and these are the first set of exams for us!

Tbf, 59/80 would mean an A is 73%, an A grade for the unit 2 paper in past years is always 80-85%. So I highly doubt it will be 73%, closer to 85%
Original post by zigocarn
Oh right.
Did you multiply by 1000, when you did moles/vol btw?

i don't remember if it was given in cm3 or dm3. i think it was dm3, so no (?)
Original post by quinn f
yeah I also got this

Yup! Same
Original post by CBMFM99
The exam wasn't easy in my opinion. Some questions were quite hard. The grade boundaries might look something like this:

A-59
B-53
C-49
D-44
E-38
Give or take some marks
Remember there aren't any resists to skew the marks higher as well and these are the first set of exams for us!

I agree with you. There aren't any resists to skew it. It's a new spec. It's not entirely organic, and some questions were ambiguous. There were practical details in the exams. And, yes, they were harder after all, just look at the past papers and compare it to these. I think you have the right idea that it will be lower.

Tbf, 59/80 would mean an A is 73%, an A grade for the unit 2 paper in past years is always 80-85%. So I highly doubt it will be 73%, closer to 85%

I very much doubt it will be any higher than 80%. It won't go up, it will stay the same or go down, most likely go down.
The lack of space for calculations was actually so stupid
Original post by Turtlebunny
I agree with you. There aren't any resists to skew it. It's a new spec. It's not entirely organic, and some questions were ambiguous. There were practical details in the exams. And, yes, they were harder after all, just look at the past papers and compare it to these. I think you have the right idea that it will be lower.

I very much doubt it will be any higher than 80%. It won't go up, it will stay the same or go down, most likely go down.

I hope its lowered but I'm being realistic.
I put fractional distillation instead of just distillation for the separating isooctane and that other isomer idk, is this ok??
Original post by quinn f
I put fractional distillation instead of just distillation for the separating isooctane and that other isomer idk, is this ok??

i put down fractional distillation too- with a fractionating column because the boiling points were quite similar
Original post by quinn f

Not according to AQA but I do believe the isooctane will be less dense than octane as octane can stack whereas isooctane has branched chains so it cant stack as closely as octane can, but if its not in the specification i doubt you can write that or maybe you can get away with it if you have a perfect explanation.
But remember, science this year in aqa isnt learning science, its learning how to answer aqa questions
Original post by quinn f

I put fractional distillation too! Because the difference in boiling points are very little and you need a fractionating column.
Did you guys get 1.31% for the uncertainty question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope its lowered but I'm being realistic.

It will be lowered, don't worry my friend. It's always lower for a new spec.
You just need to think of the factors that do affect boundaries, and they all favour lower boundaries, the papers were also just straight up harder than old spec exams.
What I fear is, however, the whole point of the new exams is to reduce those people getting top grades, e.g. A's and B's, even C's, so they'll keep the boundaries high to reduce the amount of people getting those grades. My prediction's are as follows based on a few quick averages and teachers opinions:

63 - A
56 - B
C - 48
D - 45
E - 39
U - 0
Original post by DaVinciGirl
Did you guys get 1.31% for the uncertainty question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep
It will be lowered, don't worry my friend. It's always lower for a new spec.
You just need to think of the factors that do affect boundaries, and they all favour lower boundaries, the papers were also just straight up harder than old spec exams.
What I fear is, however, the whole point of the new exams is to reduce those people getting top grades, e.g. A's and B's, even C's, so they'll keep the boundaries high to reduce the amount of people getting those grades. My prediction's are as follows based on a few quick averages and teachers opinions:

63 - A
56 - B
C - 48
D - 45
E - 39
U - 0

63 for this paper is fair. Whats your predictions for the 1st paper?
Reply 795
Am I the only one who found this exam hard? I struggled to complete it in the time limit as well :\
Original post by Tim73
Am I the only one who found this exam hard? I struggled to complete it in the time limit as well :\

I did find the timing hard...
63 for this paper is fair. Whats your predictions for the 1st paper?

Slightly lower for the 1st paper. I feel like the downfall of a lot of people on the 1st exam was timing and the multiple choice questions, but a lot of people probably did better than expected due to potentially, a more lenient mark scheme, who knows.

But for an A a B and a C, lower:

A - 58
B - 52
C - 47
I expect all the boundaries for D-E thought for that paper to be quite high. Though, people on TSR are looking at the higher boundaries really

Anyway, best of luck with Chemistry, and good luck with the rest of your exams! :smile:
Original post by Tim73

No, you are definitely not the only one! Plenty of people in my college found it hard, and we have a strong chemistry department, teachers and students. Don't worry too much about it :smile:

i think will either b about the same or slightly go down

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending