The Student Room Group

physical or inorganic??

Im doing chem a level starting september after having done chem GCSE a year ago. physical chemistry is the first module we cover & inorganic is the second, but from GCSE I had a very strong understanding of physical but very weak inorganic. which should I do first?? because I dont think tis realistic for me to be able to complete both by the end of the summer.
Reply 1
There is a lot of inorganic in A level, especially acid/base stuff. I would recommend looking into that first if you're struggling already.
Original post by canthinkofone
Im doing chem a level starting september after having done chem GCSE a year ago. physical chemistry is the first module we cover & inorganic is the second, but from GCSE I had a very strong understanding of physical but very weak inorganic. which should I do first?? because I dont think tis realistic for me to be able to complete both by the end of the summer.

How good is your organic?

With A level chemistry, most of the material you’ll do is organic and physical. Inorganic is actually quite a small section of the course at A level.

Chunks of inorganic should come relatively naturally to you if your physical chemistry is good - especially group chemistry and periodicity, as you will have already covered intermolecular forces, ionisation energies and types of structure and bonding in physical chemistry.
Original post by TypicalNerd
How good is your organic?

With A level chemistry, most of the material you’ll do is organic and physical. Inorganic is actually quite a small section of the course at A level.

Chunks of inorganic should come relatively naturally to you if your physical chemistry is good - especially group chemistry and periodicity, as you will have already covered intermolecular forces, ionisation energies and types of structure and bonding in physical chemistry.

My organic is decent. It was my favourite part of chemistry too. Also I will be doing AQA, so hopefully your referring to the AQA modules when speaking of how inorganic is a smaller part of the course?
Original post by canthinkofone
My organic is decent. It was my favourite part of chemistry too. Also I will be doing AQA, so hopefully your referring to the AQA modules when speaking of how inorganic is a smaller part of the course?

I’m referring to all courses for A level chemistry really.

Inorganic is generally the smallest of the three fields of chemistry covered at A level. The AQA course covers periodicity, group 2, group 7, period 3, the transition metals and the reactions of a few aqueous ions only in the inorganic section. Everything else is either physical or organic content.

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/chemistry-7404-7405/specification-at-a-glance
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by TypicalNerd
I’m referring to all courses for A level chemistry really.

Inorganic is generally the smallest of the three fields of chemistry covered at A level. The AQA course covers periodicity, group 2, group 7, period 3, the transition metals and the reactions of a few aqueous ions only in the inorganic section. Everything else is either physical or organic content.

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/chemistry-7404-7405/specification-at-a-glance

Alright then, thanks mate 👍

Quick Reply

Latest