The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My friend is looking for a portable hard drive.
500+ GB capacity should be fine, any suggestions?
Original post by Syrie
Hellooo...

I am thinking of buying a tablet to use instead of a laptop, pros and cons of them? And which ones would you recommend?

Tablet: less powerful, more portable, lighter, less capable of software, better battery life, touchscreen

laptop: more powerful, heavier generally, more software options, battery life is ok generally, keyboard, touchpad

That's my view, generally it depends on your own situation and what your gonna use it for, etc.
Reply 8402
Hello,
I am thinking of buying a HP Pavilion g6-1325ea 15.6" Laptop - Red. What are your thoughts of this laptop? :smile:
I'm still looking. Went through Dino PC and came up with this. Thoughts? Note: Looking for something that can handle HD video and arduous music editing.

Untitled-2.jpg

Oh & congrats on your results!
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey guys, I'm looking for something to replace my broken PS3. Do you think this setup is good enough for gaming?

- Intel Core i3 2100 3.1 GHz
- Radeon HD 6790 1 GB
- 4 GB RAM

With the case and monitor and everything it comes to about £500. It's the CPU I'm concerned about really, I'd feel better going for an i5 but I just can't afford it. If this could give me PS3 quality graphics then I'd be happy.
Original post by united.spammers
Hey guys, I'm looking for something to replace my broken PS3. Do you think this setup is good enough for gaming?

- Radeon HD 6790 1 GB
- 4 GB RAM

With the case and monitor and everything it comes to about £500. It's the CPU I'm concerned about really, I'd feel better going for an i5 but I just can't afford it. If this could give me PS3 quality graphics then I'd be happy.

The i3 is plenty. PS3 quality? On the whole I'd say yes it should do that or better, but how much is the 6790 costing you? The 6850 might be a better choice for £90 (unless of course it's prebuilt then you don't have much choice but the 6790 will definitely do
Does anyone know what I need to get my PC running internet wirelessly? Some sort of network card, right?
Original post by hassi94
The i3 is plenty. PS3 quality? On the whole I'd say yes it should do that or better, but how much is the 6790 costing you? The 6850 might be a better choice for £90 (unless of course it's prebuilt then you don't have much choice but the 6790 will definitely do

6850 is virtually impossible to get hold of at that price now :/

Original post by flown_muse
Does anyone know what I need to get my PC running internet wirelessly? Some sort of network card, right?

Yeah, http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/networking/wireless-adaptors-pci-pci-e
these are better than the usb versions.
Original post by united.spammers

- Radeon HD 6790 1 GB
- 4 GB RAM

Have you got your own Windows OS dvd?
Why are PC parts so expensive here :frown: Looking at newegg it's much cheaper over in the states or in asia
Original post by itsmyname
Why are PC parts so expensive here :frown: Looking at newegg it's much cheaper over in the states or in asia

20% VAT, extra costs.... in the US they get rebates and stuff.
Original post by mjaaaz
Hello,
I am thinking of buying a HP Pavilion g6-1325ea 15.6" Laptop - Red. What are your thoughts of this laptop? :smile:

This is the laptop that im using right now :smile: Had it for a year, pretty quick, works alright - had some issues with windows 7 (my user account ****ed up and now when i try to log in it logs me back out - but that's a software issue not a hardware one). If you want it for generally word processing, homework, watching some films etc. Then it's all good :smile: Tends to develop a bit of an overheating problem though :/
Anyone ever thought of making a Youtube video/tutorial on building a high spec gaming pc or made a video about their own machines?
Reply 8413
Original post by Jiraya Sama
Anyone ever thought of making a Youtube video/tutorial on building a high spec gaming pc or made a video about their own machines?

There are already quite a few on YouTube.
Original post by Jin3011
I'm still looking. Went through Dino PC and came up with this. Thoughts? Note: Looking for something that can handle HD video and arduous music editing.

Untitled-2.jpg

Oh & congrats on your results!

Well its a good starting point, obviously the i7 would be faster, but that'll certainly do good, with 8gb of ram.
Not sure about the graphics card, could be slow in rendering.

Original post by Jiraya Sama

Cause that would mean being compared to the great beasts other people make......... plus that would require us to take a apart our current computer, there are plenty of good tutorials.
GTX 660ti is out guys.................... looks kinda small compared to the 560ti, especially some of the aftermarket coolers from Asus, etc........ also starting price is around £240, but than the higher end ones start hitting into GTX 670 terrority.

p3rsY.jpg

also Kingston 256gb ssd for £105, if anyone likes Kingston as a make http://www.ebuyer.com/394450-kingston-256gb-v200-ssd-sv200s3-256g
Original post by Iqbal007
Well its a good starting point, obviously the i7 would be faster, but that'll certainly do good, with 8gb of ram.
Not sure about the graphics card, could be slow in rendering.

Ah I see. Ideally, I don't want to be spending over £650. Any suggestions? Btw thanks for you guidance dude, appreciate it!
Original post by Jin3011
Ah I see. Ideally, I don't want to be spending over £650. Any suggestions? Btw thanks for you guidance dude, appreciate it!

If you got your own windows dvd from a current computer, I definitely suggest building it yourself, it can be better used for the build to be honest. You need something more powerful than a 550ti to get better rendering performance
Original post by flown_muse
Now it won't let me connect to internet so I have to go download all the drivers for the motherboard I think?

I had that myself, I completely reinstalled the OS, I installed all my programs, then I plugged in the Ethernet cable and I was like hold on a minute, what's happening here? Eventually I remembered the motherboard drivers and had to go rooting around for them. Easy mistake to make, had bit of a giggle at myself Tbh.

How's the SSD? I'm hoping to get myself one soon
Reply 8419
Hey guys I have narrowed down my search to these 3 laptops.
I'll be using it mostly for engineering programs.

The HP i5 3rd gen should be sufficient, but for the same price Acer is giving an i7.
Not sure of the quality of Acer builds.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/compare-result.aspx?path=be9fb4c060d680084514dcccdfd5f6a3en99&ProductIds=10180322,10208048,10212225

Anyone care to share their opinion on which of these is better? Also I DO NOT see a difference between the HP's for the $100 difference. Graphic card maybe??

Latest

Trending

Trending