The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
It's fun until one of you beats me by a fraction like Shunter did last year to inflict my 1st loss. I got my revenge in the playoffs though so watch out. I'd find a mock draft board if I were you and maybe mock some drafts on NFL.com. I have my board but I've not yet tuned it to the level it was last year. I had like 6 different colour codes all the way down to pick 160 something Devonta Freeman.
(edited 8 years ago)
Didn't I beat shunter by like .25 points after brees lost .3 yards kneeling at the end of a game? haha
Reply 1102
Original post by jammy4041
@shunter7634 @munn @jimbles @Scott129 @cant_think_of_name .. I believe were in the fantasy league from last season...

@Motorbiker @SmashConcept @Malevolent @Josh_Stride @Wattsy @jammy4041 ...regulars.

Also in the interests of fairness, @TheGiantPunkGooner replied to Josh_Stride's post.

My league that I am running drafts this saturday. But, I would suggest that he draft happens after the third week of preseason when the 1s play, and there's a good idea of how things will shake down/injuries and suspensions for the first game and stuff are sorted.

I'm easy with a snake draft. Standard scoring and defense, I'd recommend QB-RB1-RB2-WR1-WR2-TE-RB/WR/TE-K with 6 bench slots, depending on numbers (if there's too many than 5 is good.)

I didn't play last year but why not. I agree with the format described
Original post by ..DT..
Didn't I beat shunter by like .25 points after brees lost .3 yards kneeling at the end of a game? haha

You beat me by 0.04. One. Passing. Yard. My only regular season defeat. 1 yard from perfection...

(Not that I'm bitter or anything)
Original post by Motorbiker
My tactic is to Google what a roughly sensible pick would be based on previous performance and then be a little bit bias towards random teams I like.

NFL.com will list the players based on where they're being picked on average, which always gives you at least a reasonable option.
Just don't be one of those people who takes a D and kicker in the first few rounds!
Reply 1105
Yes DT that did happen actually. I'd have been spitting feathers had that been me. Board is now tuned. Last player on it with any non-injury tag is Percy Harvin; yellow for I don't know about this guy for one reason or another. He's number 145. I'm thinking we'll probably get a 12 player league so 180 drafted players. With 14/15 being defence and kicker rounds and the inevitable hero picks that will probably be as low as I need to go. I also need not to screw up my bye weeks this year. I basically threw one week only just being able to field a team!
I'll probably bomb first 3 weeks and then hit the waiver wire as I have the last few years. Classic week 15 hit and run as usual no doubt.
Reply 1107
Yeah I made the mistake last year of taking really deep sleeper dives, you don't draft those guys because they don't have consistent week by week point scoring but your watch their play time trends and then pounce on the wire when you think they've become viable.

(I've just realised that I have become an absolute fantasy nerd in a mere two seasons, I am worried about my wellbeing)
(edited 8 years ago)
Shame I don't have Arian Foster and Ahmad Bradshaw to carry me this season....:frown:
Original post by shunter7634
NFL.com will list the players based on where they're being picked on average, which always gives you at least a reasonable option.
Just don't be one of those people who takes a D and kicker in the first few rounds!

Awesome. Do we all have to be there at once for the draft?
Would I be able to join the fantasy league? I've not done it through NFL.com before - only ESPN
Reply 1111
Yeah we would if we wanted to live draft. We'd just have to find a time slot where everyone is free for 2 hours and do it then. Live draft is preferable because it gets people talking and doesn't have the quirks of NFL's automated pick system where you will take a kicker or defence in the 9th and 10th because it wants to fill your starters out before it assesses your depth despite your RB3 being a much more important factor in winning than your K or D.

Nick we're just gauging numbers at the minute and I think we could probably fit you in. As long as the numbers are even in the end it's all good. We're not going to get into a situation where we have 32 teams and drafting requires Rotoworld level depth chart knowledge, we just don't have that many active and interested members. Basically there is no reason why you couldn't play as long as you remain active. One guy who abandons his team and no longer makes team changes or waiver pickups can really screw up a league.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jammy4041
@shunter7634 @munn @jimbles @Scott129 @cant_think_of_name .. I believe were in the fantasy league from last season...
@Motorbiker @SmashConcept @Malevolent @Josh_Stride @Wattsy @jammy4041 ...regulars.

Also in the interests of fairness, @TheGiantPunkGooner replied to Josh_Stride's post.

My league that I am running drafts this saturday. But, I would suggest that he draft happens after the third week of preseason when the 1s play, and there's a good idea of how things will shake down/injuries and suspensions for the first game and stuff are sorted.

I'm easy with a snake draft. Standard scoring and defense, I'd recommend QB-RB1-RB2-WR1-WR2-TE-RB/WR/TE-K with 6 bench slots, depending on numbers (if there's too many than 5 is good.)

Yeah, count me in.
Original post by Wattsy
Yeah we would if we wanted to live draft. We'd just have to find a time slot where everyone is free for 2 hours and do it then. Live draft is preferable because it gets people talking and doesn't have the quirks of NFL's automated pick system where you will take a kicker or defence in the 9th and 10th because it wants to fill your starters out before it assesses your depth despite your RB3 being a much more important factor in winning than your K or D.

Nick we're just gauging numbers at the minute and I think we could probably fit you in. As long as the numbers are even in the end it's all good. We're not going to get into a situation where we have 32 teams and drafting requires Rotoworld level depth chart knowledge, we just don't have that many active and interested members. Basically there is no reason why you couldn't play as long as you remain active. One guy who abandons his team and no longer makes team changes or waiver pickups can really screw up a league.

That's fine with me - I take fantasy a little too seriously at times so I'll always be active!
Reply 1114
I just mocked this picking 10th in a 12 man:

1.Rob Gronkowski
NE-TE
2.Odell Beckham
NYG-WR
3.Frank Gore
IND-RB
4.Melvin Gordon
SD-RB
5.T.J. Yeldon
JAC-RB
6.Golden Tate
DET-WR
7.Martavis Bryant
PIT-WR
8.Cam Newton
CAR-QB
9.Isaiah Crowell
CLE-RB
10.Nelson Agholor
PHI-WR
11.Colin Kaepernick
SF-QB
12.Zach Ertz
PHI-TE
13.St. Louis Rams
STL-DEF
14.New York Jets
NYJ-DEF
15.Mike Nugent
CIN-K

QB is a ****show. My 1/2 RB's have the same bye week. I have too many hype trains too but overall it's not too bad. I really don't want to be 10th in our draft though. You wait an eternity to make a pick and then two come along almost simultaneously. You also don't get that real 1st round talent. Gronk was on my board at #7 and is the all world TE but I'd still rather find RB1 there. All of my target QBs got drafted from above me because I had to wait so long to get another pick.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
I just mocked this picking 10th in a 12 man:

1.Rob Gronkowski
NE-TE
2.Odell Beckham
NYG-WR
3.Frank Gore
IND-RB
4.Melvin Gordon
SD-RB
5.T.J. Yeldon
JAC-RB
6.Golden Tate
DET-WR
7.Martavis Bryant
PIT-WR
8.Cam Newton
CAR-QB
9.Isaiah Crowell
CLE-RB
10.Nelson Agholor
PHI-WR
11.Colin Kaepernick
SF-QB
12.Zach Ertz
PHI-TE
13.St. Louis Rams
STL-DEF
14.New York Jets
NYJ-DEF
15.Mike Nugent
CIN-K

QB is a ****show. My 1/2 RB's have the same bye week. I have too many hype trains too but overall it's not too bad. I really don't want to be 10th in our draft though. You wait an eternity to make a pick and then two come along almost simultaneously. You also don't get that real 1st round talent. Gronk was on my board at #7 and is the all world TE but I'd still rather find RB1 there. All of my target QBs got drafted from above me because I had to wait so long to get another pick.

I'd be happy enough with that. RB looks horrendous this year and I've no idea who to trust past the top 5 or 6 guys. Although it doesn't seem like much, a 12-team league really dilutes much faster than a 10-team one...imagine if we end up playing with 14 or 16!
Couple questions:

1. When are we doing the draft aka how long do I have to learn the basics of fantasy?

2. Can we have a separate thread/whatsapp group/facebook/whatever for Fantasy so that we can still stay on topic talking about real football in here? I'm biased because I don't find fantasy as interesting as most people, but I think it the thread will also get pretty cliquey in the season if all we talk about is a 12 player fantasy league that new members can't join. Obviously a new thread is the obvious choice because I doubt everyone is as comfortable as me giving out their numbers or facebook or whatever. Or if NFL.com has an in built feature for fantasy talk that works too.
Original post by SmashConcept
Couple questions:

1. When are we doing the draft aka how long do I have to learn the basics of fantasy?

2. Can we have a separate thread/whatsapp group/facebook/whatever for Fantasy so that we can still stay on topic talking about real football in here? I'm biased because I don't find fantasy as interesting as most people, but I think it the thread will also get pretty cliquey in the season if all we talk about is a 12 player fantasy league that new members can't join. Obviously a new thread is the obvious choice because I doubt everyone is as comfortable as me giving out their numbers or facebook or whatever. Or if NFL.com has an in built feature for fantasy talk that works too.

1. In a couple of weeks I think. Plenty of time.

2. Good idea, I'll let somebody else sort it out!

To get back "on topic", does anyone else think that TY Hilton's deal is overpaying a bit? Only $1mil/year less than Dez and DT seems a bit steep for my taste...
Haven't seen the details of the deal but I guess if you think of Hilton as a prime DJax with no character concerns then it sort of makes sense.

IK got picked up by the Bills. My initial reaction like most people's was that he'd never play again, but seeing some of the details and knowing the kind of defensive players Rex likes I suppose in retrospect it's not surprising. He was getting a lot of camp hype so the Bills might have just picked up a very good sub-package rusher without giving up anything at all.
Reply 1119
You may be onto something here Smash. I'm all for getting more active posters in here and fantasy is by it's nature pretty cliquey. I remember I wasn't part of the fantasy league my first year on this forum and I just kind of talked around it. Hopefully when the season starts we'll have more actual football to talk about though. Now it's all a bit tech in camp for most people and preseason performances are not the most fun talking points.

I don't want to make a thread though. I already feel like custodian of this one. Whatsapp would be pretty chilled if people were happy to give out numbers. I personally wouldn't have a problem with that. I'd back you all not to be identity thieves or stalkers!

P.S. TY Hilton is awesome. PAY THE MAN as far as I'm concerned, he may not be very tall but he makes serious plays.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest