The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jammy4041
The service academies don't have the lines to be able to implement a throwing scheme -- their biggest linemen are no more than 280lbs on either side of the ball. They trade boulders for speed, and they use a flexbone formation, as part of a triple-option attack, which makes their running game one of the most potent in all of college football.#

I find that hard to believe, since pretty much every high school can at least throw 10 or so times per game. You don't need much of an O line to install a rudimentary three step passing game, or even updating the running game to include packaged plays. I sort of understand what they're doing, but it still seems pretty ridiculous to run up the middle on third and seven against a stacked box when even pop warner teams can throw a bubble or something nowadays.

He absolutely will have an NFL career. He has vision, guile and cutting ability, and since he's from the United States Naval Academy, he will a player of top character. I'd love him to go to my Broncos with their third or fourth round pick, because he is a very special talent.

You're rooting for your team to spend a 4th on a QB that doesn't throw? I'm assuming you're saying he'd be drafted as an RB, but still. I would expect him to need to learn quite a bit to transition to carrying the ball from that position and in different schemes.
Reply 1821
Who wins today then? If the Jags lose to the 40 year old virgin again I can see no way back for a lot of the staff. Particularly if the defence looks like swiss cheese the whole game like last week.
Original post by Wattsy
Who wins today then? If the Jags lose to the 40 year old virgin again I can see no way back for a lot of the staff. Particularly if the defence looks like swiss cheese the whole game like last week.

Lot of games predicted as blowouts today. Think game of the day has to be Pitt vs Cinci.
Original post by ..DT..
Lot of games predicted as blowouts today. Think game of the day has to be Pitt vs Cinci.

That's the one sky is showing live at 6pm as well.

Cowboys packers I want to be close but I don't think it will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1824
The Jags O-Line is the Ebola of offensive lines at least once every 2 weeks.
Quite enjoying the Jets result so far :biggrin:
Enjoying watching the bengals game but very conflicted from a fantasy point of view because too many people I care about winning and losing have people on both teams...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1827
HELLO! I've **** up in Fantasy but Defensive TD, Offensive TD and Special Teams TD in one game. This got fun all of a sudden!

Telvin Smith just demonstrated the rules of the game to Hasselback and he is really not happy about it. Get out of bounds if you don't want to get tackled. Might have ended his career though... Still, step out!l

I have never wanted the Patriots to win more than I do now. Actually I've never wanted them to win. Until today!
(edited 8 years ago)
Just in case you guys missed all the TNF adverts the Jets are playing the Cowboys right now in the perfectly named "Thursday Night Football, Saturday Edition."

@A Mysterious Lord @Motorbiker
Really close review coming up, hope Decker is OK and not just for my fantasy team, he's a massive part of this offense. The fact that they changed the ruling on the field could save the Jets a possession though. I thought it was a fumble but I don't see conclusive evidence either way.
Yeah, rough break for the Cowboys.
Cowboys get a break back when a Jet was only set for 3/4 of a second instead of a full second or whatever and it costs them three points. Probably the correct call, but really harsh. Good game, too bad it seems like none of you are watching lol. The Jets can't be happy to have a guy who can't kick in a defensive battle this close.
Kellen Moore has made this a watchable game. He's....gutsy and shows more in this offense than Matt Cassel if nothing else. Harsh call on the field goal, but well, with Randy Bullock's chequered history...he's usually good for a silly miss. Glad Decker seems fine. That was horrible to watch.

Cowboys defense has been great this game. Absolutely amazing today.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah Moore is interesting. First pick was just awful, looked like sheer panic. Second was pretty bad too. Other than that he's moved the ball well enough to make it interesting.
Original post by SmashConcept
Yeah Moore is interesting. First pick was just awful, looked like sheer panic. Second was pretty bad too. Other than that he's moved the ball well enough to make it interesting.

I'd agree with that. I don't think the first one happens if he starts the game. Cassel was digging a very big hole, very quickly.
Well drawn up play. Decker all alone in the end zone basically. Marshall cleared out the space.

Great game.
Revis and Dez has been heated all night.
Original post by SmashConcept
Just in case you guys missed all the TNF adverts the Jets are playing the Cowboys right now in the perfectly named "Thursday Night Football, Saturday Edition."

@A Mysterious Lord @Motorbiker

Still up, fully prepared for OT.

EDIT: Woop, night night :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh wow The hail mary didn't come in. Dez seemed to give up on that one, although maybe the throw was ill-advised. Great coverage by Revis though. Got to hand it to the Jets. They stole back the momentum with that big TD drive.
Well drawn up play. Decker all alone in the end zone basically. Marshall cleared out the space.

Great game.

Yeah great job by Marshall, really showing that you don't have to commit OPI to run a pick play. He ran his route physically to get where he has a right to be, and turned back for the ball, relying on the play design to get the rub rather than intentionally colliding with anyone. The trouble comes when teams try to execute that kind of play when they don't have quite the correct look.

Revis and Dez has been heated all night.

The way Revis just leans on people to run them out of bounds while matching them at full speed down the field and keeping control of his body is so ****ing godlike. I think it was Dez's first target he did that perfectly. Usually with sports there's sort of an illusion of "I could do that" because with the TV angles you're so far removed from their athleticism compared to your own. Every time I watch Revis I just think "I would 100% fall over the second I tried that."
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Still up, fully prepared for OT.

EDIT: Woop, night night :smile:

Haha, I flagged at around 4am, watched the last 5 minutes this morning. Really good game. I think the announcers were pretty forgiving of Kellen Moore though, which I understand since it was his first half. 3 picks in 3 quarters, all of which were very clearly his fault. They thought forcing it to Dez in triple coverage was the right decision, but there was definitely enough time to throw it to someone else there.

Quick Reply

Latest