The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

joshm
I applied to Sciennes for my first two choices

as in, sciennes 1 & 2 (there's two right?) or mainly both sciennes because you really prefer that one?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
ErinAlyssa
as in, sciennes 1 & 2 (there's two right?) or mainly both sciennes because you really prefer that one?
It didn't give the option to apply to 1 or 2. I applied for Sciennes medium-sized room as my first choice, the Sciennes small room as my second.
Reply 382
ErinAlyssa

There are two currently but they're selling Sciennes 1 this year as far as I'm aware.
Static.
There are two currently but they're selling Sciennes 1 this year as far as I'm aware.

I'm astonished anyone would buy it. Sciennes = urgh.
Reply 384
nearlyheadlessian
I'm astonished anyone would buy it. Sciennes = urgh.

Shush, we have stairs in our flats. This amazes everyone.
Reply 385
Hey,
I'm an aussie, starting at edinburgh this september. I'm a vegetarian and from what I've read about the catered food, sounds like Pollock Halls are pretty much a no-go? I'm leaning towards self catered anyway :smile: is there a curfew at all?

Also, does anyone have any advice/opinions about working and studying at the same time? It's an option I'm considering, as I've been working in a bar for the last 5 months or so, and I'm really enjoying it, but would it be too much to take on a job in the first year of uni?

College Wynd... doesn't seem to be a favourite, is this simply because its small? Is it much better to go with one of the larger options like Kincaids? Or does it not make much of a difference?

Thanks to the creator/s of this thread, it's been really helpful!
embrown
Hey,
I'm an aussie, starting at edinburgh this september. I'm a vegetarian and from what I've read about the catered food, sounds like Pollock Halls are pretty much a no-go? I'm leaning towards self catered anyway :smile: is there a curfew at all?

It's not difficult to be a vegetarian at Pollock, just a bit boring and limited as far as I understand. If anything, what's more frustrating are set meal times and so on. But yeah, I'd stick with self-catered. There's no curfew.

embrown
Also, does anyone have any advice/opinions about working and studying at the same time? It's an option I'm considering, as I've been working in a bar for the last 5 months or so, and I'm really enjoying it, but would it be too much to take on a job in the first year of uni?

A discussion for somewhere else really, but firstly, if you're from Australia, are you able to work on your student visa? Even if you are, there may well be a limit on the hours you can do. A job can be good/fun and there's oodles of time for it if you're an arts student, but I would say that if you can afford to not have a job I would concentrate on both university and fun rather than a low paid job.

embrown
College Wynd... doesn't seem to be a favourite, is this simply because its small? Is it much better to go with one of the larger options like Kincaids? Or does it not make much of a difference?

Stay well clear of College Wynd. It's awful. Really. For what it's worth, I would stay well clear of Cowgate in general (so add to that Kincaids, Robinson and Blackfriars).
embrown

I have read somewhere that I am allowed to work for max 10 hours a week. I don't really have a student visa, but that are the rules when you are a EU-student, so I could imagine that you also have some sort of regulation on your visa.
Emmeline05
I have read somewhere that I am allowed to work for max 10 hours a week. I don't really have a student visa, but that are the rules when you are a EU-student, so I could imagine that you also have some sort of regulation on your visa.

There's no restriction on your working hours if you're from the EU.
joshm
It didn't give the option to apply to 1 or 2. I applied for Sciennes medium-sized room as my first choice, the Sciennes small room as my second.

I wanted to do that same thing with darroch court, apply for two different room sizes for my first two options and then hermits croft as my third.. but the accommodation helpline advised me not to do so, because that would decrease my chances of getting one of my top 3 choices and i could end up in a totally different building..

But anyway, what about New Arthur Place? Is this supposed to be a nice place?
nearlyheadlessian
For what it's worth, I would stay well clear of Cowgate in general (so add to that Kincaids, Robinson and Blackfriars).

Why would you mostly recommend staying clear of Cowgate? Because it's so noisy? Would you say New Arthur Place is a better third choice? Or is there a completely different one (preferably relatively close to the Education building) that I should consider? :smile:
ErinAlyssa
Why would you mostly recommend staying clear of Cowgate? Because it's so noisy? Would you say New Arthur Place is a better third choice? Or is there a completely different one (preferably relatively close to the Education building) that I should consider? :smile:

New Arthur Place is by all accounts fine. If you want to try and get close to Moray House then Darroch, NAP and Hermit's are your best choices. Most of the accommodation on Cowgate is soso, but the noise is dreadful.
nearlyheadlessian
There's no restriction on your working hours if you're from the EU.

I was/am convinced that I read it somewhere. Maybe I mixed-up visa/health insurance or someting like that. That my Dutch Health Insurance only allows me to work for 10 hours a week or so. I will look into it!
ErinAlyssa
I wanted to do that same thing with darroch court, apply for two different room sizes for my first two options and then hermits croft as my third.. but the accommodation helpline advised me not to do so, because that would decrease my chances of getting one of my top 3 choices and i could end up in a totally different building..
Whoops:o:
Reply 394
How is post (as in letters/packages) handled at Edinburgh? Since I'll have to send a bunch of stuff by mail it'd be helpful to know.
homesteil
How is post (as in letters/packages) handled at Edinburgh? Since I'll have to send a bunch of stuff by mail it'd be helpful to know.

Self-catered halls receive post like any standard residence. Not sure how it works at Pollock though.
Reply 396
nearlyheadlessian
New Arthur Place is by all accounts fine. If you want to try and get close to Moray House then Darroch, NAP and Hermit's are your best choices. Most of the accommodation on Cowgate is soso, but the noise is dreadful.

It's not too bad, really. I was in Kincaids in my first year (many moons ago) and didn't have much of a problem and I grew up in the countryside.
NeoNerd
It's not too bad, really. I was in Kincaids in my first year (many moons ago) and didn't have much of a problem and I grew up in the countryside.

I've obviously not tried every room, but having visited Blackfriars several times, I found the noise levels to be pretty unbearable at times.
Reply 398
Hey,

I'm a soon-to-be self-catered freshman, but I can't decide what acommodation to apply for. I've already singled out small single rooms (as supposedly they aren't really smaller, but they are really cheaper!),
which gives me:

College Wynd
East Newington Place
New Arthur Place
5 Nicolson Street & 5 South College Street (I couldn't find this one on the map yet, so I guess I'll leave it out)
Robertson’s Close
Sciennes
Warrender Park Crescent
Warrender Park Road/Spottiswoode Street

...to choose from.

Now, I'll be doing chemistry, which means I'll be spending lots of time in the King's buildings area, but as I understand some of the other stuff I'm taking (maths probably) is also in George square.

Also, I've already decided to buy a bike once I move there, so now I'm trying to find the balance between being close to both places so I can cycle there but at the same time not too far from George square so I can catch the shuttle when it rains or snows.

East Newington Place, the two Warrender Park options and Sciennes seem like the best options, as they're between the two places, but the others seem somewhat closer to George square.

What do you think?
Any recommendations on the options I mentioned? Any places I should avoid?

Cheers,
Jan
Reply 399
homesteil

At pollock, letters and small parcels are delivered to a post box that you have on the ground floor of most houses, larger parcels are kept at reception centre and you need to go collect them

Latest

Trending

Trending