The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

MA interdisciplinary futures the University of Edinburgh

I've just received an offer for MA in interdisciplinary futures at the Uni of Edinburgh's futures institute.

It's a very new course, and I'm unsure about attending. Edinburgh is a great school and beautiful city, but I'm curious about the student satisfaction rate, as it is quite low!

Scroll to see replies

My daughter and her friend did 2 modules from that degree as outside courses. Both thought they were really excellent.

I think satisfaction is generally low at Edinburgh maybe because they are the sort of uni that expects undergrads to sort out their own learning and maybe type of students (high expectations) and maybe some truth.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Anonymous #1
I've just received an offer for MA in interdisciplinary futures at the Uni of Edinburgh's futures institute.
It's a very new course, and I'm unsure about attending. Edinburgh is a great school and beautiful city, but I'm curious about the student satisfaction rate, as it is quite low!
i have just received an offer as well and am unsure. Did you end up going for the course? If so how is it? And if not, why not?
Original post by Anonymous #3
i have just received an offer as well and am unsure. Did you end up going for the course? If so how is it? And if not, why not?
My daughter also received an offer for this course and is seriously considering it as she likes the flexibility it provides. What other courses are you looking at and what drew you to this course?
My daughter also received an offer for this course and is seriously considering it as she likes the flexibility it provides. What other courses are you considering and what drew you to this course?
Original post by Anonymous #4
My daughter also received an offer for this course and is seriously considering it as she likes the flexibility it provides. What other courses are you considering and what drew you to this course?
oops, double post
I was also really drawn to the flexibility of the course and have always been interested in sustainability. I really like the Edinburgh Future's Institute and it would be amazing to be studying under the department. But....I have some reservations. There doesn't seem to be anything online about current students taking the course and the size of the cohort is not clear (the core modules are open to everyone in the university so the actual modules might have quite a few students but it's unclear the number of students doing the actual course). Do you think I have missed something?
I was also really drawn to the flexibility of the course and have always been interested in sustainability. I really like the Edinburgh Future's Institute and it would be amazing to be studying under the department. But....I have some reservations. There doesn't seem to be anything online about current students taking the course and the size of the cohort is not clear (the core modules are open to everyone in the university so the actual modules might have quite a few students but it's unclear the number of students doing the actual course). Do you think I have missed something?
She feels the same. We are going to go to the open day in April and ask a lot of questions re: size of cohort and structure. I think a course like this could be amazing but only if one can structure the additional courses to exhibit a clear focus on a discipline. This will largely come down to how robust tutoring/mentoring support from staff there is for each student to create their own unique “brand”.
She feels the same. We are going to go to the open day in April and ask a lot of questions re: size of cohort and structure. I think a course like this could be amazing but only if one can structure the additional courses to exhibit a clear focus on a discipline. This will largely come down to how robust tutoring/mentoring support from staff there is for each student to create their own unique “brand”.
Yes! I totally agree. I wonder if I could ask you a favour. As I live on Saint Helena Island, I unfortunately cant attend the open day. If you could share with me your findings and thoughts that would be great. Thanks v much.
Yes! I totally agree. I wonder if I could ask you a favour. As I live on Saint Helena Island, I unfortunately cant attend the open day. If you could share with me your findings and thoughts that would be great. Thanks v much.

DM me your details and I will put you and my daughter in touch.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi anyone who’s has got an offer from this course.. what has your offer been?
Original post by Katiebeale1234

My daughter’s offer for this is ABB.

I have an offer and the grade requirements are ABB

Hey! i have been offered this course aswell. i have read everything and totally agree with what u guys are saying. i was also accepted into business and psychology though and not sure of what one i’m going to choose. i love the flexibility and just broadness of this degree but not sure if it would be stricter or secure as its brand new. like would i be able to do psychology and business as part of the course as a module? i would love to talk to the people who have been accepted if u guys could get in touch
Original post by intrestedstudent
Hey! i have been offered this course aswell. i have read everything and totally agree with what u guys are saying. i was also accepted into business and psychology though and not sure of what one i’m going to choose. i love the flexibility and just broadness of this degree but not sure if it would be stricter or secure as its brand new. like would i be able to do psychology and business as part of the course as a module? i would love to talk to the people who have been accepted if u guys could get in touch

My daughter has similar interests. DM me your details and I will put you in touch.
Original post by harlowqueen
My daughter has similar interests. DM me your details and I will put you in touch.

it’s not letting me reply yet so will reply in a few days!
Original post by intrestedstudent

Hey DM me your details when you can. :smile:
hey, i have also received an offer for this course, I also applied to Law, so due to my personal statement being about that, I have been given a conditional on the basis that I write a new personal statement demonstrating why I want to do that course. I am also struggling to decide whether I want to do it, as I really love the flexibility and countless career opportunities it provides, including Law, but I am confused by what it entails, and just generally what the course would be like, and whether I would just be better off doing law at another university?
I feel like it depends if you want to be a lawyer, but if you’re unsure if you want to be one it seems like a good course to take. Just curious, did you get an offer today?
I feel like it depends if you want to be a lawyer, but if you’re unsure if you want to be one it seems like a good course to take. Just curious, did you get an offer today?

I got the offer last night around 16:30pm, yeh well i've been planning to do law for the last year or so, and applied to this course as an extra incase I decided I didn't want to do law in the end, and hadn't contemplated even accepting it until I got the offer, I feel like it would be really good cause it would open up career opportunities for me but also keeping law as an option, but I'm still not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending