Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "Acidified FeO42- (aq) ions oxidise aqueous iodide ions ions, I-, to form aqueous Iodine, I2.

Construct the half-equation for the oxidation of iodide ions to form iodine"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    "Acidified FeO42- (aq) ions oxidise aqueous iodide ions ions, I-, to form aqueous Iodine, I2.

2I- -> I2 + 2e- ?

ReputationRep:
    So we want I2 as the product basically right? so we have I- ----> I2 but we need two I's so it would be 2I- ----> I2 + 2e- can we put the 2e- there?

ReputationRep:
    2I- > I2 + 2e-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacobM)
    2I- -> I2 + 2e- ?
    That's what i'm worried about can we put the 2e- there? because I2 is neutral and not charged. So that means 2- on the left and 2- on the right side cancel each other out?

(Original post by boromir9111)

I- -->I2
    So it went from -1 to 0
    Hence it lost an electron.

I- --> I2 + e-

Balance the equation to get:

2I- -->I2 +2e-

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i need to go over half-equations..... thankfully there is chem guide and TSR. Thank you for your help!!!!

ReputationRep:
    how come you have to balance the e? isn't this just 2I --> I2 e- because 2I is oxidation state of -1 and the I is 0, so isn't that only missing 1 electron to get to -1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lynnlynn123)
    how come you have to balance the e? isn't this just 2I --> I2 e- because 2I is oxidation state of -1 and the I is 0, so isn't that only missing 1 electron to get to -1?
    You do need to balance everything, including the electrons.
    There is one e- lost for each iodide ion, but 2 of them. The equation must have the same total charge on left hand side and right hand side.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.