The Student Room Group

A level chemistry ocr

“Predict the products of reacting Fe(s) separately with I2(aq) ,Br2(aq) and Cl2(aq). Explain your predictions using the electrode potential data above.

Would I just combine the half equations here?
Original post by Arii256
“Predict the products of reacting Fe(s) separately with I2(aq) ,Br2(aq) and Cl2(aq). Explain your predictions using the electrode potential data above.

Yes, you would determine the theoretical cell potential of a cell made up using the components and if the result is positive and greater than 0.3V the reaction is spontaneous and likely goes to completion. If the cell potential is positive but less than 0.3V then the reaction is spontaneous but likely arrives at equilibrium.
A negative value means that the proposed reaction is not spontaneous and will not happen under standard conditions.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
Original post by Arii256

Yes, you would determine the theoretical cell potential of a cell made up using the components and if the result is positive and greater than 0.3V the reaction is spontaneous and likely goes to completion. If the cell potential is positive but less than 0.3V then the reaction is spontaneous but likely arrives at equilibrium.
A negative value means that the proposed reaction is not spontaneous and will not happen under standard conditions.

Ok thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest