The Student Room Group

Electrochemical cell diagram: when do you add H+ to the solution? a level chem

Hi was wondering in these diagrams for a level chemistry when the H+ are needed in solution and why.
Original post by jezzajoo
Hi was wondering in these diagrams for a level chemistry when the H+ are needed in solution and why.

Not sure what exam board you do, but for AQA H+ is needed in solution when constructing a SHE (Standard Hydrogen Electrode) to measure the electrode potential for a half cell. It must be 1mol.dm^-3 and is generally added via HCl or HNO3. The SHE has an electrode potential of 0.00V and is written on the left by convention. Hydrogen gas is added and a platinum electrode is used as part of the cell. I hope this answers your question :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DanielK1456
Not sure what exam board you do, but for AQA H+ is needed in solution when constructing a SHE (Standard Hydrogen Electrode) to measure the electrode potential for a half cell. It must be 1mol.dm^-3 and is generally added via HCl or HNO3. The SHE has an electrode potential of 0.00V and is written on the left by convention. Hydrogen gas is added and a platinum electrode is used as part of the cell. I hope this answers your question :smile:

Thank you very much. That helps with the SHE. However in this question only one side has H+ added and I’m not sure why it s needed.

A student wants to measure the Ecell when ClO- oxidises I- ions.
I2 + 2e- -> 2I- +0.54
ClO + 2H+ 2e- -> Cl- +1.5

the markscheme says you need to add H+ to the solution in the ClO/cl half. I know it’s in the half reaction equation but why is it needed?
Thank you very much. That helps with the SHE. However in this question only one side has H+ added and I’m not sure why it s needed.

I2 + 2e- -> 2I- +0.54

the markscheme says you need to add H+ to the solution in the ClO/cl half. I know it’s in the half reaction equation but why is it needed?

Because there is an oxygen bound to the ClO^- and the only way to get rid of it so it can be reduced to Cl^- is to kick it off as a water molecule. You have the oxygen, the only part missing is the hydrogen.

I2 + 2e- -> 2I- +0.54

It might make sense if you add 1 H2O to the right hand side of the second half equation so everything balances. (ClO- + 2H+ +2e- -> Cl- + H2O) The water is needed on the right to balance out the O in the chlorate ion, and then adding 2H+ balances the hydrogens on the left. e- then balance the charges.

Quick Reply

Latest