The Student Room Group

In search of Schrödinger's cat

If anyone has read the book and remembered what it outlines (just the key points like Heisenberg uncertainty principle) could you please tell me..I mentioned the book in my ps and have an interview tommorow.. I cant get hold of the book(since I borrowed it from the library) and read it like 2 years ago so only have a vague recollection of what it was about..

Any key points will be much appreciated with rep:smile: thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
help!
http://ezinearticles.com/?In-Search-of-Schrodingers-Cat---Quantum-Physics-and-Reality&id=1915132

bit of info about it there, maybe enough to refresh your memory? Haven't read it myself though sorry...
Reply 3
1) HUP
2) The Cat in the box story.

Thats about all i remember.
The cat has an equal chance of dying or surviving. The spectator doesn't know until the box is open - so with that said the cat is in 2 states (dead or alive), the spectator only knows the ctas state when he/she sees it.
watch it on the big bang theory..:smile:
Reply 6
The book only dealt with the idea of the cat for a small portion of the book.

As far as I can remember it detailed the progression of the theory, hence "in search of"
The wiki article will help you remember
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrodinger's_cat#The_thought_experiment
Reply 8
PQ - QP = -i hbar
Paul Bartram
The cat has an equal chance of dying or surviving. The spectator doesn't know until the box is open - so with that said the cat is in 2 states (dead or alive), the spectator only knows the ctas state when he/she sees it.

It's not an equal chance, it is a certain chance to be dead with infinite time.
I mentioned it in my PS and got asked, "Why is the cat being dead or alive at all significant, does it not just tell you that the experimenter doesn't know what state the cat is in and nothing more?"

I would think of ways you would answer that question and others like it. I was a while since I had read it when I had my interview, September to December I think, 3 months about.
Reply 11
_KilgoreTrout_
I mentioned it in my PS and got asked, "Why is the cat being dead or alive at all significant, does it not just tell you that the experimenter doesn't know what state the cat is in and nothing more?

Itchynscratchy

It's not an equal chance, it is a certain chance to be dead with infinite time.

Surely this is not true? It isn't in one state or another at all. It's in both, at the same time. That's why it was proposed to disprove quantum theory, how can something be both dead and alive. But schrodinger showed that thats exactly what the case was - actually adding credibility to the theory instead.

I haven't read this stuff in a while, so go easy lol
Ricky116
Surely this is not true? It isn't in one state or another at all. It's in both, at the same time. That's why it was proposed to disprove quantum theory, how can something be both dead and alive. But schrodinger showed that thats exactly what the case was - actually adding credibility to the theory instead.

I haven't read this stuff in a while, so go easy lol

before you make the observation yes it is in both states.

but when you make the observation (or open the box) the probability of the two states will depend on the amount of time the cat spent in the box (in this particular case) longer time = more chance dead
A live cat and a deceased cat have the same number of particles. Structurally there's no difference.
Reply 14
rbnphlp
If anyone has read the book and remembered what it outlines (just the key points like Heisenberg uncertainty principle) could you please tell me..I mentioned the book in my ps and have an interview tommorow.. I cant get hold of the book and read it like 2 years ago so only have a vague recollection of what it was about..

Any key points will be much appreciated with rep:smile: thanks

If you mentioned the book in your ps would it not have been smart to re-read it first? Jus' sayin'...
Reply 15
TheNack
If you mentioned the book in your ps would it not have been smart to re-read it first? Jus' sayin'...

yes but I said I could not get hold of the book either from my school or local library..
Reply 16
spread_logic_not_hate
http://ezinearticles.com/?In-Search-of-Schrodingers-Cat---Quantum-Physics-and-Reality&id=1915132

bit of info about it there, maybe enough to refresh your memory? Haven't read it myself though sorry...

Stonebridge
The wiki article will help you remember
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrodinger's_cat#The_thought_experiment

thanks everyone!!
Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle - you cannot know the speed a particle is travelling and its position at the same time. :biggrin:

Hence this silly joke:

Two scientists are in a bar. One says to the other, "Is that Heisenberg over there?" and the other replies, "I'm not sure."

:biggrin:
Has anyone seen the Cohen's latest film 'A serious man'? There was a funny seen about Schrodinger's cat.
MarinaM
Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle - you cannot know the speed a particle is travelling and its position at the same time. :biggrin:

Hence this silly joke:

Two scientists are in a bar. One says to the other, "Is that Heisenberg over there?" and the other replies, "I'm not sure."

:biggrin:

I'm not a scientist but isn't that meant to be velocity?

Latest