Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Too true. The sad thing about TSR is that is full of bleed your heart out liberals who are the friends of terrorists and murderers but ne'er the brave.

It's also full of delusional chickenhawks who think just because they support the armed forces, they can comment and be condescending to those who don't as if they themselves were serving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    Okay, so, what do our forces do that is so heroic for us?
    In my humble opinion, defusing road-side bombs is heroic. That takes ******* balls. The ones that are defused often ensure that little kids don't blow themselves up when playing. I massively respect anyone who dies whilst trying to defuse one of those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    It's also full of delusional chickenhawks who think just because they support the armed forces, they can comment and be condescending to those who don't as if they themselves were serving.

I am serving myself...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hootandroar)
    I am serving myself...

Well done?..... :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Right>Left)
    scumbag
    *Person with views different to my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    They shouldn't have joined the army if they didn't want to die.
    Agreed (again)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donuticus)
    Mawkish sentimentality of the highest order.
    Agreed, what happened to the stiff upper lip? ******* Diana.

BTW I support the British forces just as much as the next man, if not more, and am fiercely nationalistic so if you think I'm a bleeding heart liberal you can **** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Agreed (again)
    Paying tribute to someone's death is not correspondent to how dangerous the job they performed was.

Agreed (again)
    So if you get hit by a car, no one should care?

I mean you take the risk, loads of people get hit by cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    So if you get hit by a car, no one should care?

I mean you take the risk, loads of people get hit by cars.
    Those are two completely different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Paying tribute to someone's death is not correspondent to how dangerous the job they performed was.
    I don't think that was his point....

Those are two completely different things.
    No there not according to you.

ReputationRep:
    No there not according to you.
    Driving a car to central London is much safer than engaging in a firefight with the Taliban, hence 2 different things.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that was his point....
    Do you have a beard, out of interest?

Driving a car to central London is much safer than engaging in a firefight with the Taliban, hence 2 different things.
    Only about 8 times.

And the point still stands that according to you, if you take a risk then its your own fault if you die.

So it still stands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Do you have a beard, out of interest?
    No I have stubble and I actually shaved it today, but why is that relevant :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Soldiers aren't hero's. Soldiers commit state-sanctioned murder against fellow human beings. Soldiers are merely tools used by the rich to become richer and defend their wealth. I have great respect for the troops that die, but I have no sympathy when the families complain as their children knew the risks when they signed up, and could quite have easily have not signed up.
    The true hero's are those that save lives, doctors and nurses, including ones that go in to war zones (whether they're part of the military or not), or even ones that indirectly save lives by inventing new medicines and charging a fair price for them, or other scientists doing research, or those finding new ways to cut crime in the country.
    This, however, does not including killing one to save another, except in the case of self defence. However attacking another country is not self defence, and whilst soldiers do not have a choice which wars they wish to fight, they ultimately have the choice whether to be a solider.
    I respect soldiers for putting their life on the line, but I would never commend them for killing another human being unless their life was personally targeted.

Wars make money. Wars are good for the economy. Whether it's over oil or merely to boost industries producing planes and ships and ammunition, all wars seem to be used for, since the turn of the last century (if not before) is to make money for the governments in the world. Why, for instance, where British bombers in WW2 given orders not to bomb German ammunition factories, and why were historic buildings in the UK not bombed, and mainly the common-folks housing?

ReputationRep:
    Only about 8 times.

And the point still stands that according to you, if you take a risk then its your own fault if you die.

So it still stands.
    If you take the risk then yes, you bear the responsibility and as I stated, going into a firefight is a completely different thing than driving so your example is a useless.

If you take the risk then yes, you bear the responsibility and as I stated, going into a firefight is a completely different thing than driving so your example is a useless.
    No it's not, there is a genuine risk you will crash over your life.

ReputationRep:
    Who says they're going to die if they join the army? Or they want to?
    There's 100's of jobs in the army they're not all front line they're usually the only deaths you hear about on the news about sadly these young infantry soilders.
    Yes there's a risk, but there's also a risk if you're in the police force/fire service etc of getting killed/injured and other jobs where you can injured.
    There's a risk every single day in our lives of dying. Through a car/motorbike accident to getting stabbed. :s: It can happen anywhere.
    How is it their fault they are where they are.
    Blame the politicians as someone else said, they're the ones who keep sending more and more out there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.