The Student Room Group

Sobriety at university

Anyone got any experiences with being sober at uni. Perhaps you find it uncomfortable for reasons other than not liking the taste or you have a negative opinion of people who are sober. Perhaps you have never drunk or it’s only since university that you haven’t. Let me know :smile:
haven’t been fully sober during uni, i go out on pub nights/nights out every one in a while but i definitely don’t fit in with the ‘student life’. purely because i hate the taste of alcohol and i sober up too quickly anyway so don’t really see the point :smile:
I've never drunk. I think the taste is disgusting mostly.
There are always alternatives at the uni events I've been to and no one has ever given me any hassle for it. I think several quite appreciate having a sober person around to do the critical thinking. There have also been several events that are just alcohol free.
Honestly, it's not that big a deal. I drink every once in a while, but never to the point that I'm too drunk to function. Most of the time I only drink to get a little buzzed cause I'm pretty shy and drinks help me come out of my shell a bit, but I've often been the least drunk person in the room, and I've also been the sober friend. Truly, you don't need drinks to have fun, and most people are not gonna force or peer pressure you to have a drink if you don't want one either. There are plenty of uni events that don't involve any alcohol at all and they're a blast so don't worry if you don't drink. Lots of people don't.
Reply 4
There is a sizeable minority at uni who don’t drink. They either choose from the many other wholesome activities that don’t involve alcohol or still fit in fine with the pursuits of their drunken mates
Reply 5
Original post by kyky878794xx
Anyone got any experiences with being sober at uni. Perhaps you find it uncomfortable for reasons other than not liking the taste or you have a negative opinion of people who are sober. Perhaps you have never drunk or it’s only since university that you haven’t. Let me know :smile:
Hey, are you a non-drinker yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest