The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Large FE college - I think 8 applied last year and 3 got in
4 applied, 4 got in.
Reply 42
d750
Rubbishy? Presumably you think that's synonymous with people who don't go to Oxbridge?

Some people need to lighten up...

All i meant is that Oxbridge's prestige tends to mean that those who dont have a hope in hell of getting in dont bother applying (it also puts off a good many excellent applicants, particularly from poorer backgrounds, unfortunately).
Waldo
Some people need to lighten up...

All i meant is that Oxbridge's prestige tends to mean that those who dont have a hope in hell of getting in dont bother applying (it also puts off a good many excellent applicants, particularly from poorer backgrounds, unfortunately).

what do you mean poorer backgrounds explain that 2 me
Reply 44
Poorer, you know. Relatively poor. As in non-wealthy.

What are you thinking of applying for, btw? Take it it's not English lit...
Reply 45
State Grammar - 4/9 for Oxford in my Year, 2/5 for Cambridge - The tab ratio is higher than ever this year; our school usually seems to be hated by Cam...

Unusually, too, 4/6 sucessful were for Arts - we're a Maths and Computing college!
State Comprehensive, roughly 60 people in Upper Sixth. I was the only one who applied to Oxford in my year and the only person to get in in ten years. Cambridge statistic is even worse...try none!
Reply 47
state grammar, 7/8 to cambridge in my year, 1/2 to oxford. but the year before we sent one to each, and normally we send one or two to oxbridge (usually oxford at that) nobody was accepted in the last round of interviews from my school to either ox or camb
Elles
40 people from my year got offers (fairly heavy Oxford bias). i imagine ~80 applied. this was a state 6th form & a fairly typical year.

that said, from my independent school 3 of us in the past 10 years have gone onto Oxbridge.

Woah! 40?!
Does anyone know which school holds the title of highest number of pupils with Oxbridge acceptances?

In my old comprehensive, I was the first person in its 45 year history to even apply to Oxford. 2 people in the year below me applied, 1 got in (Theology at Mansfield).
My state grammar however (I went to for sixth form) had about 50 apply for Oxbridge, and 21 got in (the vast majority to Oxford, as usual).
Reply 49
I worked at Ardingly college last summer (posh public school - £26000 a year) and they only got 3 people a year to oxbridge...thats half as many as my state comp...didn't really seem worth it to me...
Reply 50
maze.e
what do you mean poorer backgrounds explain that 2 me

I meant that I believe that many people from families/communities with less money and little history of higher education are intimidated by the reputation of Oxbridge as a place exclusively for geniuses and/or posh people.
Reply 51
bikerx23
I worked at Ardingly college last summer (posh public school - £26000 a year) and they only got 3 people a year to oxbridge...thats half as many as my state comp...didn't really seem worth it to me...

That's coz loadsa private schools are nothing to do with education. I've met people who make it quite clear they simply don't want their kids to meet the sort of people they imagine go to state schools.
Reply 52
H&E
That's coz loadsa private schools are nothing to do with education. I've met people who make it quite clear they simply don't want their kids to meet the sort of people they imagine go to state schools.

That's a perfectly legitimate reason. I'd certainly send my (future) children private for that reason amongst others.
d750
That's a perfectly legitimate reason. I'd certainly send my (future) children private for that reason amongst others.

I'd never send a child of mine to private school. Why bother? State school didn't do me any harm.
Reply 54
You're clearly fortunate enough to come from a region with good state schools.
H&E

What snobs :mad: And anyway, don't they think their kids are going to meet people like this later in life whether they like it or not?
H&E
You're clearly fortunate enough to come from a region with good state schools.

Um. Not especially good, no. Just bog-standard, really. My school does not believe in supply teachers, for a start, which was great when my history teacher was away for the six months before my a level history exam...it's also notorious for some *problems*, and as I've stated before, no walk through the corridor is complete without some little idiot striking a match on the wall...Also, because my school wouldn't provide lessons, I had to teach *myself* two of my A levels...so erm...not good really.
Reply 57
kellywood_5
What snobs :mad: And anyway, don't they think their kids are going to meet people like this later in life whether they like it or not?

It's not like an innoculation - exposing your children to certain elements of society early on isn't going to help them later.

It all depends on the area you live in, I suppose. If you come from a fairly nice area anyway, you won't really understand what would prompt people to do it.
Reply 58
No, they don't. Coz they expect their kids to avoid rough areas.

And yeah, I was somewhat startled by the strength of her attitude. But it's not entirely removed from fact. There are schools where I would not want to see any children of mine go. A teacher got raped by one of her pupils, IN CLASS, a few months back in central London!

Not good.
xx_ambellina_xx
I'd never send a child of mine to private school. Why bother? State school didn't do me any harm.

You, as I have done, have to ask yourself was that the school or the teachers you've had along the way though.

Latest

Trending

Trending