The Student Room Group

Applying for Maths at Oxford, Imperial and Warwick

Hi guys,

I am just really worried about my UK university application. I am applying for maths at Oxford, Imperial and Warwick from Ireland. My predicted grade is about A*A*A. I have attended the IMO(although I did quite bad), EGMO and also did BMO1&2 which encouraged me to apply for maths eventually.

The MAT test is extremely important for these three universities. However, my scores fluctuate a lot, for example, I got 81 for 2021 paper and about 75 for 2011 paper. Moreover, I have never scored above 85. I have done almost all the MAT papers except for 2022 paper. When I initially started preparing, I did not do the papers systematically, instead I picked out questions and also did not do them in timed conditions. This led to now I have lesser resources to practice and also cannot calculate my score for many past papers.

I also did STEP I, II and some STEP III papers but I thought they were quite different from MAT questions so I stopped doing them. I thought TMUA was quite helpful but I have also done all of the past papers.

Do you have any advice on some other resources I can use to improve my scores?

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by gnwolx_07
The MAT test is extremely important for these three universities. However, my scores fluctuate a lot, for example, I got 81 for 2021 paper and about 75 for 2011 paper. Moreover, I have never scored above 85. I have done almost all the MAT papers except for 2022 paper. When I initially started preparing, I did not do the papers systematically, instead I picked out questions and also did not do them in timed conditions. This led to now I have lesser resources to practice and also cannot calculate my score for many past papers.

Those are pretty competitive scores - I'd be surprised if they didn't at least get you an interview.
Reply 2
Hi guys,

I am just really worried about my UK university application. I am applying for maths at Oxford, Imperial and Warwick from Ireland. My predicted grade is about A*A*A. I have attended the IMO(although I did quite bad), EGMO and also did BMO1&2 which encouraged me to apply for maths eventually.

I also did STEP I, II and some STEP III papers but I thought they were quite different from MAT questions so I stopped doing them. I thought TMUA was quite helpful but I have also done all of the past papers.

Do you have any advice on some other resources I can use to improve my scores?

Thank you!

I'd avoid Imperial - there are better unis for Maths. What does your teacher recommend?
Reply 3
Original post by RichE
Those are pretty competitive scores - I'd be surprised if they didn't at least get you an interview.

However, the scores that can get an Oxford interview does not guarantee an offer from Imperial as Imperial often require higher scores. Therefore, I would like improve my MAT score so that I would be able to get offers either of these universities or both.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
I'd avoid Imperial - there are better unis for Maths. What does your teacher recommend?

Why avoid Imperial? I personally quite like Imperial and Imperial also has one of the top maths course among UK universities according to some online statistics I have seen. My teacher highly recommends Imperial and its also quite a competitive university as almost all of my other friends applying for maths are applying for Imperial.
Why avoid Imperial? I personally quite like Imperial and Imperial also has one of the top maths course among UK universities according to some online statistics I have seen. My teacher highly recommends Imperial and its also quite a competitive university as almost all of my other friends applying for maths are applying for Imperial.

It's fine, it's a very good option if you don't mind living in London (well worth considering that factor though). You may also want to consider Bristol if you haven't already :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
It's fine, it's a very good option if you don't mind living in London (well worth considering that factor though). You may also want to consider Bristol if you haven't already :smile:

It really isn't and Bath is far better than Bristol.
Reply 7

I teach Maths in a state school in England - I would not recommend Imperial at all. Bath is far better these days and I'd also look at Leeds.
I teach Maths in a state school in England - I would not recommend Imperial at all. Bath is far better these days and I'd also look at Leeds.

Attending IC open day one week ago, the AO said IC maths is top 10 in the world. Why not IC?
Reply 9
Original post by FairAboutUK
Attending IC open day one week ago, the AO said IC maths is top 10 in the world. Why not IC?

Any you believe everything the biased AO says? No-one from my school applies there for Maths - it's not a good place to study. It's known for very poor student support too - avoid.
Reply 10

Basically it isn't a great place to be if you require support. In terms of the mathematics it is top class. Note that Bath, as Muttley suggested seems good for applied options, but does lack pure options, in Algebra particularly https://www.bath.ac.uk/catalogues/2023-2024/ma/MA-units.html (NO Galois :frown:) Bristol as the lounger said is decent.

Ultimately it is up to you where you go, and you will need to put the effort in to get the best out of wherever you go.
Reply 11
It really isn't and Bath is far better than Bristol.

By what metrics may I ask?
Reply 12
Original post by zetamcfc
... but does lack pure options, in Algebra particularly https://www.bath.ac.uk/catalogues/2023-2024/ma/MA-units.html (NO Galois :frown:) Bristol as the lounger said is decent.

I found that hard to believe of Bath. Their fourth year topology is second year at Oxford. Oddly third year differential geometry courses much the same. No sign of logic of set theory in later years.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by RichE
I found that hard to believe of Bath. Their fourth year topology is second year at Oxford. Oddly third year differential geometry courses much the same. No sign of logic of set theory in later years.

How do you know how detailed the Bath module is - lots of stuff I did in a three year degree is in a Masters now ...
(edited 7 months ago)
Basically it isn't a great place to be if you require support.

Some students prefer a mix of pure and applied options - in your opinion it lacks pure options. Galois is often only in 4th year Masters now for some reason.
By what metrics may I ask?

Lots - nicer place, better course across a range of topics [not pure dominated], better quality teaching, better student support ...

Bristol have put students in Newport Wales again this year ... personally I think that is dreadful.
Imperial isn't a bad choice or anything. Just look at the possible choices and see if they match what you want to study.
Reply 17
How do you know how detailed the Bath module is - lots of stuff I did in a three year degree is in a Masters now ...

Because I looked at, and could understand, the synopsis
Original post by RichE
Because I looked at, and could understand, the synopsis

Doesn't show the depth though does it? Since all Oxford students end up with a Masters the degree should include more than a BSc. anyway shouldn't it? My BSc had far more content than most MMath. these days ...
Reply 19
Doesn't show the depth though does it? Since all Oxford students end up with a Masters the degree should include more than a BSc. anyway shouldn't it? My BSc had far more content than most MMath. these days ...

It pretty much does. Certainly as a lecturer in the subject, an author of one book on the subject, and designer of courses in the subject, I feel fairly confident in my assessment. I cannot make any sense of the rest of your post.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest