The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for Oxbridge?

Hi! I'm considering applying to Oxbridge, but am unsure as to whether ny grades are good enough. What do you all think?
- I just finished a fine art foundation year at UAL.
- A levels: A* art, A* literature and A psychology
- GCSEs: 9 in french, 8 in art, biology and RE, 7 in chemistry and literature, 6 in maths and physics and 5 in language (I also did geography but have forgotten my grade)
- I haven't done a huge amount of extracurriculars, but I am taking classes in french, am fairly involved in climate activist groups and have completed work experience with an art therapist. I also spent my whole life living in many different countries, which I think has also really shaped me.
I was hoping to apply for a fine art, history of art or literature course, but I'm also interested in other humanities courses like philosophy or oriental studies.
Sorry for the long post! But I am really not sure whether I'm qualified enough to be accepted there. I know people who have had to get 4 A*s to get in, but equally, I know that grade boundaries for the courses I am considering range from only AAB to A*AA.
Any insights would be really helpful! Thanks so much!
Reply 1
You certainly have the grades for fine art at Oxford. and you'd need a decent portfolio with it.

Read this thread to help you

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6874780#post93177876
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Skwoiwiiwoosks
Hi! I'm considering applying to Oxbridge, but am unsure as to whether ny grades are good enough. What do you all think?
- GCSEs: 9 in french, 8 in art, biology and RE, 7 in chemistry and literature, 6 in maths and physics and 5 in language (I also did geography but have forgotten my grade)
- I haven't done a huge amount of extracurriculars, but I am taking classes in french, am fairly involved in climate activist groups and have completed work experience with an art therapist. I also spent my whole life living in many different countries, which I think has also really shaped me.
I was hoping to apply for a fine art, history of art or literature course, but I'm also interested in other humanities courses like philosophy or oriental studies.
Sorry for the long post! But I am really not sure whether I'm qualified enough to be accepted there. I know people who have had to get 4 A*s to get in, but equally, I know that grade boundaries for the courses I am considering range from only AAB to A*AA.

Yes, if you spend about 5 minutes looking at their webpages you will see you exceed the entry criteria for all of the courses noted at both universities (where offered).

Unless any submitted work was woefully out of keeping with the grades you got or you do terribly on any pre-interview admissions assessments, I expect you would be interviewed. Thereafter I expect your chance of an offer will depend primarily on the interview and/or or portfolio (where applicable).

Not aware of any courses at either Oxford or Cambridge that have a standard offer of AAB. They normally range from AAA to A*A*A. Not that it matters as you have achieved grades of A*A*A anyway and thus meet that requirement in any event...

To be frank, asking "do I meet the entry requirements" followed by "I know that I meet or exceed the grades for the standard offer" is a somewhat absurd question.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, if you spend about 5 minutes looking at their webpages you will see you exceed the entry criteria for all of the courses noted at both universities (where offered).

Unless any submitted work was woefully out of keeping with the grades you got or you do terribly on any pre-interview admissions assessments, I expect you would be interviewed. Thereafter I expect your chance of an offer will depend primarily on the interview and/or or portfolio (where applicable).

Not aware of any courses at either Oxford or Cambridge that have a standard offer of AAB. They normally range from AAA to A*A*A. Not that it matters as you have achieved grades of A*A*A anyway and thus meet that requirement in any event...

Fine Art at Oxford: will accept AAB with a foundationn art diploma and outstanding portfolio.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by totallyfine
Fine Art at Oxford: will accept AAB with a foundationn art diploma and outstanding portfolio.

Hmm, I don't recall that being explicitly stated before (although I'm not surprised if they were operating under a similar approach to begin with though), as I think last time I looked it was AAA without any reference to that. Good to know for future reference :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger

To be frank, asking "do I meet the entry requirements" followed by "I know that I meet or exceed the grades for the standard offer" is a somewhat absurd question.

Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful.
I see what you mean, I guess I am just a little sceptical, as they're practically the same grade boundaries as UCL, Edinburgh, Durham etc. - all generally agreed to be exceptional schools, but not at the same level as Oxbridge. I just wonder if they let AAA students apply to their courses, but only really consider A*A*A*A* students!
Art courses normally treat grade boundaries a bit differently, so I guess I am not used to how typical courses work!
Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful.
I see what you mean, I guess I am just a little sceptical, as they're practically the same grade boundaries as UCL, Edinburgh, Durham etc. - all generally agreed to be exceptional schools, but not at the same level as Oxbridge. I just wonder if they let AAA students apply to their courses, but only really consider A*A*A*A* students!
Art courses normally treat grade boundaries a bit differently, so I guess I am not used to how typical courses work!

What would be the incentive for them to do that? It would just represent an enormous expense for them (as reviewing all those applications and arranging interviews is an expensive and time consuming process), especially if they knew from the outset they had no intention of considering those applicants anyway. There isn't any reason for them to do that.
Reply 7

Here is the Oxford University Alternative Prospectus: https://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/

Here is the Cambridge University Alternative Prospectus: https://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges

So have you decided between which prospective colleges you like at Oxford University or Cambridge University? :smile:

My Cambridge Application Guide is here and other useful information as well: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/publications
Your grades are definitely good enough. The worry here (for me at least) is that you're considering a few different subjects (some of which are quite different to each other!) at a time when you should be starting to gather ideas for your personal statement, going to open days, and beginning prep for any Oxbridge-specific admissions tests :eek: It's not completely late in the day to be deciding a subject and then trying for Oxbridge but you want to put your best foot forward at all times and to give yourself ample time to prepare.

So my advice would be forget Oxbridge altogether for a moment: pick a subject (or two if Joint Honours) that you definitely want to study, irrespective of uni. Only then look at the Oxford and Cambridge aspect of it. There's no guarantee of getting into Oxbridge (though I agree you'd most likely be interviewed) and passion for/reading around the subject is quite key for arts and humanities Oxbridge applications and for surviving the Oxbridge courses more generally. It can be a truly miserable place to do a subject that you don't have your heart set on!

So you want to only apply to one of them if:

1) they offer your subject(s) that you decide upon
2) you like the look of the course content and structure
3) you like the sound of the collegiate set-up and teaching style
4) you can realistically do everything needed in time
apply to Oxbridge :smile:
your A level grades exceed the requirement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending