The Student Room Group

A2 AQA BUSS4: Strategies Businesses could have adopted to prepare for the recession.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Hey Guys, i did questions 1 and 3 and i must say i was really pleased they came up.

for question 1

i talked about how the recession started, porter's two strategies and the car industry as my introduction.
then...
Honda, how they closed their factory and this was short term etc...
then...
ryanair and how they have a long term cost cutting strategy which they had going into the recession but i thought it was still relevant.
then...
Woolworths, i showed how cost cutting doesn't always prove successful and how they had no focus.
then...
i talked about how you could differenciate rather than cost cut.
John Lewis as example.
Toyota hybrid Prius as an example.
then...
conclusion, it helps but depends on the market eg oligopoly, monopoly and monopolistic-competition. also about the product you have.

For question 3

iINTRODUCTION: talked about managining change and about culture. using Mckinsey and Drucker quotes. also about different methods of change (step/incremental) and about how lewin said there will always be resistors to change. oh and how Handy split culture into role/people/person.
then...
Google and the culture they have and how it's a constant incremental change as there so innovative and investing in R&D all the time.
then...
M&S how Sir Stuart Rose completely change the culture when he was appointed CEO.
then...
BA and how Willie Walsh is a bad example of step change, no communication or consultation with employees. they were resistors.
then...
talked about how other things could improve a companies performance like Steve Jobs at Apple, a better leader.
then...
conclusion how it wouldn't be easy for the new BP CEO.
MagicInk
Surprised more people didn't do question 2, I thought it was relatively straight forward and I gave a lot of different viewpoints on it, and used plenty of examples. Sadly I spent so long on it that my evaluation on Section B (I did Q4) was really rushed. Hopefully the rest of the question was good enough to get me a decent mark.

I did question 2 and 4 as well :smile:
S_G
Jim Seems like hardly anyone has done the bad decisions one!! ...(Could that be an adv.?)
Would it be ok if i said:

Businesses want to maximise profits
M & S hadn't developed enough domestically when it went abroad
Mission statements - starbucks grew too quickly
Culture- BA
Not understanding customers needs- (?E.g. of Tesco who does understand)
e.t.c. :eek3:

Thanks..

The key issues in that question were:

(1) Big businesses - why is decision-making sometimes worse in a business with so many resources? (is it any better in small businesses?)
(2) What is meant by a "bad decision"? A fertile area for strong paragraphs this - "bad" in the sense of poor returns on investment? poor strategic direction? poor management or execution, rather than just a bad idea?

You could also have challenged the examiner's view. Where is the evidence that Microsoft has failed to grasp the internet opportunity?
So what if Mark & Spencers had to close some international stoes - it learned a lot from the process

Jim
alex_b06
Hey Guys, i did questions 1 and 3 and i must say i was really pleased they came up.

for question 1

i talked about how the recession started, porter's two strategies and the car industry as my introduction.
then...
Honda, how they closed their factory and this was short term etc...
then...
ryanair and how they have a long term cost cutting strategy which they had going into the recession but i thought it was still relevant.
then...
Woolworths, i showed how cost cutting doesn't always prove successful and how they had no focus.
then...
i talked about how you could differenciate rather than cost cut.
John Lewis as example.
Toyota hybrid Prius as an example.
then...
conclusion, it helps but depends on the market eg oligopoly, monopoly and monopolistic-competition. also about the product you have.

For question 3

iINTRODUCTION: talked about managining change and about culture. using Mckinsey and Drucker quotes. also about different methods of change (step/incremental) and about how lewin said there will always be resistors to change. oh and how Handy split culture into role/people/person.
then...
Google and the culture they have and how it's a constant incremental change as there so innovative and investing in R&D all the time.
then...
M&S how Sir Stuart Rose completely change the culture when he was appointed CEO.
then...
BA and how Willie Walsh is a bad example of step change, no communication or consultation with employees. they were resistors.
then...
talked about how other things could improve a companies performance like Steve Jobs at Apple, a better leader.
then...
conclusion how it wouldn't be easy for the new BP CEO.

The use of the word "multinational" was a key part of this question - the org culture of a business operating around the globe is particularly difficult to change.

Jim
Reply 1184
Jim Riley
The use of the word "multinational" was a key part of this question - the org culture of a business operating around the globe is particularly difficult to change.

Jim

Yea i said it's key that they have good communication and consultation, particularly because they had 92,000 employees and they were operating globally in so many different companies.
Jim Riley

Jim

Damm i missed that..:frown: i talked about Kraft/Cadbury, Google, Apple (Leaders), also BP, talked about oil spillage (dont know why really). Is that ok?
alex_b06
Yea i said it's key that they have good communication and consultation, particularly because they had 92,000 employees and they were operating globally in so many different companies.

I said exact same thing, although i didint really apply it to the BP, they said 'Business', so i thought its all firms...
What sort of points did people make in Q5? The competition one. Or more specifically, what business examples?
By the way, for the first question i done:

Why cost-cutting is good
Why it isint
Other methods of startegy
Leadership/Culture
Conclusion.

Jim mentioned that Leadership/Culture is very important, so i thought ill throw that in :smile:
Reply 1189
Swimmer
By the way, for the first question i done:

Why cost-cutting is good
Why it isint
Other methods of startegy
Leadership/Culture
Conclusion.

Jim mentioned that Leadership/Culture is very important, so i thought ill throw that in :smile:

I did similiar :smile: but I included long-term/short-term info instead of leadership/culture
vn2009
I did similiar :smile: but I included long-term/short-term info instead of leadership/culture

Yeah i wrote everything i remmember from Dominos, BA, Nissan, Apple...so hopefully it was ok. For cost-cutting did we have to identify different methods of cost-cutting or? i havent done that ;(
Reply 1191
Swimmer
Yeah i wrote everything i remmember from Dominos, BA, Nissan, Apple...so hopefully it was ok. For cost-cutting did we have to identify different methods of cost-cutting or? i havent done that ;(

Im not sure if it was necessary, but i just talked about different forms of cutting costs and there implications for the business, eg Rationalisation, Retrenchment etc
Built that into my essay.
Section A was really nice, just a shame for me with section B :frown:
Reply 1192
Jamie.H
Im not sure if it was necessary, but i just talked about different forms of cutting costs and there implications for the business, eg Rationalisation, Retrenchment etc
Built that into my essay.
Section A was really nice, just a shame for me with section B :frown:

why what question did you answer? I did question 4 and thought it was quite similar to the recession question...
luckily at the end of the exam i realized i had put 02 as the question number for the second question instead of 04 and quickly changed however i reckon so many people did this !!
Reply 1193
Swimmer

Thats what i thought at first! But i re-read the questions (lots of times) and it didnt ask specfically for that....so i didnt give particular methods.

I did what you did, as explained in your previous post....I think we did it right.
vn2009
Thats what i thought at first! But i re-read the questions (lots of times) and it didnt ask specfically for that....so i didnt give particular methods.

I did what you did, as explained in your previous post....I think we did it right.

yeah hopefully...how many pages did u do overall? i finished on the 6th one..
Reply 1195
iVapor
why what question did you answer? I did question 4 and thought it was quite similar to the recession question...
luckily at the end of the exam i realized i had put 02 as the question number for the second question instead of 04 and quickly changed however i reckon so many people did this !!

what kinda things did u write for q4?
thank god this exam is over. very happy with essay A =] essay b not so much haha. cant believe how much i wrote tho, 5 pages 4 essay A = hand cramp bad times haha
Reply 1197
S_G
what kinda things did u write for q4?

Contingency planning was a big part of this i thought, primark warehouse fire, bp's oil spill.. Timing and the product life cycle.. Kodac not acting on changing from old film. Ignoring external change due to seemingly good profits- however not in long term. A lot of people talked about leadership. Ermm can't really remember other stuff, talked about BA and the bad decisions they made by trying to cut flight attendants and how thats lead to horrible strikes costing 7m per day... long term its damaged them loads and there once so strong brand image. Evaluated well. I, like others, thought the recession question was really easy probably due to the mass of information provided on here which was tailor made for that question. Section B was harder but I thought it went well and i managed to finished just before the final whistle on the end of the last page of the booklet :smile:

How'd you do/ what did you write for that question?
Reply 1198
8 pages and my hand was dying after after 3.
Reply 1199
Adam92
8 pages and my hand was dying after after 3.

OBLA - onset of lactic acid!! Urghhh pe tomrow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending