The Student Room Group

[SPOILER] Salt's ending - wtf!?

I watched Salt yesterday, I was really enjoying it, great suspense and mystery maintained throughout...until the end :confused: wtf was that about? I didn't get it and it was such an anti-climax :mad:

Let me just get this straight perhaps I didn't interpret the ending properly, the agent takes Salt's word whilst they chat on the helicopter and believes her...and chooses to let the person who (in his eyes) tried to assasinate the russian and american presidents as well as starting a holy war by nearly firing US missiles at Mecca? :s-smilie:

Of course in reality this was not the case, the real mole was that other guy who was her friend but the agent didn't know anything at that point and he just set her free from the helicopter wtf how unrealistic!
and the last scene is just of her running...thats it? :mad: wasn't she set free so that she can go and attack all those other russian spies and finish them all off?

Somebody please explain, and share your thoughts on the ending!

Scroll to see replies

MY EYES!!

spoiled D:
but if he believes her then he no longer believes she tried to nuke mecca or kill the presidents........................ please think before you write. This film has to have had one of the simplest endings ever to not understand :s:
Reply 3
To me it seemed they ended it with having a sequel in mind. It was a bit of a shabby ending, but it's pretty obvious what would've happened anyway.
Reply 4
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
but if he believes her then he no longer believes she tried to nuke mecca or kill the presidents........................ please think before you write. This film has to have had one of the simplest endings ever to not understand :s:

Yes but that's the point I'm making, he simply took her word for it and believed everything she said...on what grounds? She was a russian spy, she did attack (although turned out she intentionally didn't kill) the russian president and he believed her when she revealed that his fellow colleague was the russian mole who tried to kill the US president.

How could he just believe her like that?
Panda Vinnie

it wasn't the greatest of films is the answer

salt is one of those films you just have to accept - an entertaining film at most but nothing to get worked up about or question

I could also ask, why didn't the NATO suicide bomber walk calmly up to the president or at least near him and blow him up? rather than run up like a madman

The answer to that is, the film would have been cut short by 30 minutes and nobody would have found out the twist
Reply 6
The ending was disappointing I thought..
ermm well she amde clear she didnt kill the president when she had the chance

she also let the guy in the chopper live earlier which helped her case

cant remember much else tbh - i dont think it was the kind of film that required a high standard of proof.
Reply 8
It's not the best film ever, really. I guess the guy believed her because she had chosen not to kill him or the Russian president when she easily could have.

On that note, does anyone know why she DIDN'T kill the Russian president? Was she already anti-Russian by then?
The film was a load of nonsense. Don't think about it. It hurts to.
Reply 10
Panda Vinnie
Yes but that's the point I'm making, he simply took her word for it and believed everything she said...on what grounds? She was a russian spy, she did attack (although turned out she intentionally didn't kill) the russian president and he believed her when she revealed that his fellow colleague was the russian mole who tried to kill the US president.

He knew she was at the place where all the russian spies were killed, no-one else knew that existed. Also she clearly deliberately didn't kill the russian president. I'll admit it was a leap of faith of his but not hugely. Also she didn't kill him when she very easily could have done.

it wasn't the greatest of films is the answer

salt is one of those films you just have to accept - an entertaining film at most but nothing to get worked up about or question

I could also ask, why didn't the NATO suicide bomber walk calmly up to the president or at least near him and blow him up? rather than run up like a madman

The answer to that is, the film would have been cut short by 30 minutes and nobody would have found out the twist

Because his aim wasn't to kill the president? He was meant to get them all down into the nuclear bunker place.

Jelkin
It's not the best film ever, really. I guess the guy believed her because she had chosen not to kill him or the Russian president when she easily could have.

On that note, does anyone know why she DIDN'T kill the Russian president? Was she already anti-Russian by then?

They said she went anti-russian (or at least stopped wanting to do what they wanted) in North Korea/when the guy saved her. That was the only really non-explained bit of the film I think but I assume it was because he showed her how wtfawesome americans really are by saving someone he barely knew.
Reply 11
Panda Vinnie
I watched Salt yesterday, I was really enjoying it, great suspense and mystery maintained throughout...until the end :confused: wtf was that about? I didn't get it and it was such an anti-climax :mad:

Let me just get this straight perhaps I didn't interpret the ending properly, the agent takes Salt's word whilst they chat on the helicopter and believes her...and chooses to let the person who (in his eyes) tried to assasinate the russian and american presidents as well as starting a holy war by nearly firing US missiles at Mecca? :s-smilie:

Of course in reality this was not the case, the real mole was that other guy who was her friend but the agent didn't know anything at that point and he just set her free from the helicopter wtf how unrealistic!
and the last scene is just of her running...thats it? :mad: wasn't she set free so that she can go and attack all those other russian spies and finish them all off?

Somebody please explain, and share your thoughts on the ending!

He took her word for it (after a bit if persuasion) due to her having killed all the Russians at that 'base'. When the news came in that the Russian lot have been found dead, the agent looked at Salt as she was being taken away and another officer was saying about an FBI team being there. I suppose that's why the agent dude believed her - cos she killed her own men, didn't REALLY kill the Russian president and also didn't kill the agent when she had the chance to!

Also, a sequel being made is possible, thus explaining the ending.
Reply 12
Jelkin

This is the bit I didn't get!! I thought she turned anti-Russian after her husband was shot dead in front of her.
Reply 13
Mithra

They said she went anti-russian (or at least stopped wanting to do what they wanted) in North Korea/when the guy saved her. That was the only really non-explained bit of the film I think but I assume it was because he showed her how wtfawesome americans really are by saving someone he barely knew.

:confused: which bit was this :s-smilie: who saved her?? :o:
Reply 14
mel0n
:confused: which bit was this :s-smilie: who saved her?? :o:

Her boyfriend, but he was German so the whole her-becoming-pro-American-because-of-that doesn't make too much sense to me. I mean, the Americans would have been happy to let her rot if the German hadn't made such a fuss!
Reply 15
Mithra

But he was German, right? See my post above for clarification of my confusion.
Mithra
Because his aim wasn't to kill the president? He was meant to get them all down into the nuclear bunker place.

then tell me why would the president need to be in the bunker? to play hide and seek?

if the goal was to kill the president in the bunker why not just blow him up right there and then - again another reason why the film wasn't great
Reply 17
then tell me why would the president need to be in the bunker? to play hide and seek?

if the goal was to kill the president in the bunker why not just blow him up right there and then - again another reason why the film wasn't great

Because the aim at no point was directly to kill the president, it was to gain control of the nukes. They needed the president scared and in the bunker to give permission for control to be transferred to him.

Jelkin
But he was German, right? See my post above for clarification of my confusion.

Yeah as I said, that bit didn't really make much sense and I think it was just meant to be a 'life-changing experience'. Or maybe love conquered all?
I would like to agree with the OP.

When I watched it, I was just like "You're kidding right?".
Mithra
Because the aim at no point was directly to kill the president, it was to gain control of the nukes. They needed the president scared and in the bunker to give permission for control to be transferred to him.

oh yea haha, i completely forgot about that XD my bad

Quick Reply

Latest