The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Quick and Easy Student Friendly Meals

As a student living away from home for the first time can be challenging, especially when you constantly have to think about what to cook or eat!
If you are unfamiliar with preparing your own meals but want to start, here are a few quick and easy dishes that you can try! :smile:

Pasta and ____
One of my go to meals is pasta as it can be easily paired with a variety of sauces. You can easily jazz up your meal with canned fish (think anchovies and mackerel with lemon and butter), cured meats like smoked hams, chorizo or salamis and canned pulses like chickpeas, lentils or beans! Together with store bought pesto or tomato based sauces, you can easily whip up a quick and easy meal to last a few days. If you have a bit more time, you can try frying some minced meat or chicken with herbs and spices or stir in an egg at the end for a more creamy texture!

Bake it!
Whenever you have leftover vegetables and meats that you aren’t sure what to do with, try popping them in the oven and wrap it up in baking paper with some salt, olive oil and herbs! Vegetables like potato, sweet potato, parsnip or brussel sprouts along with some chicken wings, sausages or fish are great for baking! :u:

Veg Soup
Although not for everyone, another simple and healthy meal is vegetable soup! I usually leave some vegetables in a pot to boil with some chicken stock and blend it all together with some miso, garlic and milk to create a thick and creamy vegetable soup!

And for those days when you are just too tired or too busy, get a frozen pizza and add some extra ingredients on top to make it more filling! :h:
I hope this helps a little in giving you some ideas on some simple meals you can prepare for the week ahead!
Know of any other great student friendly meals? Please feel free to share and drop them down in the comments below!

Zhi En (BA Fashion):colondollar:
mmm yh these are all great suggestions! i looove some nice conchiglie with some marinara sauce and chorizo. and sweet potatoes are a great shout. you can also just microwave them and it only takes 5 mins, and you can even prep a bunch and chop them up to use for salads later in the week

i like to make a big pot of minestrone sometimes, and eat it with some nice bread throughout the week. it's super simple - just chop up and simmer onions, carrots, a bit of garlic in some olive oil, add a litre or two of stock, tinned tomatoes, salt, pepper and cook for half an hour, then add pasta and some kale or greens ten mins before the end ((:

also avocado, bell peppers, and bean salad (just from a tin) with some couscous is a super quick and tasty meal.

also microwaved kidney beans with melted cheese and smoked paprika and salt on top are a crazily delicious snack after a night out especially
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending