The Student Room Group

Fare evasion - prosecution

I was fined on a tram in Sheffield February 22. Got on, approached by who I thought was the conductor- spoiler alert it wasn't- didn't have a ticket then asked to buy one and was told it was too late. Gave my details and told them I was about to move.

Completely forgot about it, given moving stress and being pregnant. Didn't recieve any communication then a year later get a further steps notice telling me I've been prosecuted.

Currently in the process of appealing, submitted statutory declaration and contacted them regularly for updates- they've had my contact details wrong multiple times.

Basically I'm terrified, I'll graduate end of this year and worried I won't be able to get a job because of a conviction for essentially admin error and forgetting to redirect post.

Any advice or suggestions?
Reply 1
I'd start collecting the evidence that they didn't contact you in the appropriate timescales, claim unreasonable grounds for prosecution and that their failure to notify formally should mean No Further Action.
Reply 2
Original post by TonnyLaw
I'd start collecting the evidence that they didn't contact you in the appropriate timescales, claim unreasonable grounds for prosecution and that their failure to notify formally should mean No Further Action.

What kind of evidence could prove they didn't contact me?
Reply 3
By collecting/downloading or just keeping your Emails from the past 12 months, that should be sufficient
Reply 4
Original post by TonnyLaw
By collecting/downloading or just keeping your Emails from the past 12 months, that should be sufficient

Will do, thank you for your advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending