The Student Room Group

Can anyone give me feedback on my attempt of creative writing ?

Drowning is either peaceful or brutal ; the choice is yours.

Injections of turbulent waves corrode at the precarious cliffs.Within the crevasses of the cliffs gulls squawked, shrieked and screeched in resentment as they glared at me with their serpent eyes.They observed me menacingly as if they were going to attack. Exposed rocks plundered into the perilous sea revealing me to be left stranded, vulnerable and alone.The provoked gulls seized their power above me and watched me as a source of entertainment.

Stains of skinned-salt penetrate my pores.My vision blurred, distorted and interrupted by the power of Neptune; I instinctively grab for anything.Currents hooked at my deteriorating flesh, forcing me to be trapped under the body of water.Suffocating expeditiously, I inhaled an involuntary breath of water. My organs began to dissociate and detach from my body as they choked impulsively . I began to gag violently on my acidic vomit due to my excessive salt intake.

Pale,wrinkled and frail my body was dehydrated, yet I was still determined to overcome the obliterating saltwater.Spasms of desperation depleted from my body as I fought for my life.Neptunes grasps grew stronger.My head remained chained to the seabed.Clusters of rocks jabbed at my sloppy flesh, compelling me to scream out my last supply of oxygen. Impaled abrasions spread across me like a discoloured infection.I was too weak,I was too powerless and I remained submissive to the power of nature.My vision began to darken as my head thumped in agony.I was solidified like a decaying statue left to perish in the unknown.My diminished body began to disappear as if it were a ceremony of spreading ashes.Sloughing, rotting and shedding away,I looked above me for one last time wondering Why?

The cruel waves began to calm as they claimed the life of another victim.

Injections of exuberant sunlight healed the precarious cliffs.Within the crevasses of the cliffs gulls protected their eggs with the shielding of exposed rocks.They glanced down to the calm and empty sea, which was elegant like the attraction of a luxury resort, it looked like the perfect place to swim.Thriving in an exotic bloom the silky sea releases its flourishment of springtime as it gently massages the bottom of the cliffside.Soothing salt waves caressed and replenished the bodies of its innocent victims which laid free,relaxed and relieved from the tensions and anxieties of the world.
Reply 1
I like the contrast between the angry birds at the start and.protecting their young at the end. However, watch for unintended changes of case and the wrong words being used, or just trying to be over-descriptive: plundered; skinned-salt, impaled abrasions, depleted from...
Fantastic imagery ('serpent eyes, 'Neptune's grasp','currents hooked')... but your word choice is questionable in places. 'Injections of turbulent waves', for instance, just doesn't make sense, as does 'plundered into' (I think you mean 'plunged'). Some of your language is also a little clinical. 'Excessive salt intake' doesn't feel appropriate in the context of someone drowning. It feels like something you'd read in an autopsy report. If you want to hone in for that detail, make the imagery more vivid. 'Briny vomit pooled in my mouth', something like that. Just be careful to read over each sentence to see if you're using the vocab correctly.
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
I like the contrast between the angry birds at the start and.protecting their young at the end. However, watch for unintended changes of case and the wrong words being used, or just trying to be over-descriptive: plundered; skinned-salt, impaled abrasions, depleted from...

Thank you this helps alot :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by NameUserer
Fantastic imagery ('serpent eyes, 'Neptune's grasp','currents hooked')... but your word choice is questionable in places. 'Injections of turbulent waves', for instance, just doesn't make sense, as does 'plundered into' (I think you mean 'plunged'). Some of your language is also a little clinical. 'Excessive salt intake' doesn't feel appropriate in the context of someone drowning. It feels like something you'd read in an autopsy report. If you want to hone in for that detail, make the imagery more vivid. 'Briny vomit pooled in my mouth', something like that. Just be careful to read over each sentence to see if you're using the vocab correctly.

Thank you, I totally agree and will make these changes :smile:
Original post by qfgqexeg
Drowning is either peaceful or brutal ; the choice is yours.

Injections of turbulent waves corrode at the precarious cliffs.Within the crevasses of the cliffs gulls squawked, shrieked and screeched in resentment as they glared at me with their serpent eyes.They observed me menacingly as if they were going to attack. Exposed rocks plundered into the perilous sea revealing me to be left stranded, vulnerable and alone.The provoked gulls seized their power above me and watched me as a source of entertainment.

Stains of skinned-salt penetrate my pores.My vision blurred, distorted and interrupted by the power of Neptune; I instinctively grab for anything.Currents hooked at my deteriorating flesh, forcing me to be trapped under the body of water.Suffocating expeditiously, I inhaled an involuntary breath of water. My organs began to dissociate and detach from my body as they choked impulsively . I began to gag violently on my acidic vomit due to my excessive salt intake.

Pale,wrinkled and frail my body was dehydrated, yet I was still determined to overcome the obliterating saltwater.Spasms of desperation depleted from my body as I fought for my life.Neptunes grasps grew stronger.My head remained chained to the seabed.Clusters of rocks jabbed at my sloppy flesh, compelling me to scream out my last supply of oxygen. Impaled abrasions spread across me like a discoloured infection.I was too weak,I was too powerless and I remained submissive to the power of nature.My vision began to darken as my head thumped in agony.I was solidified like a decaying statue left to perish in the unknown.My diminished body began to disappear as if it were a ceremony of spreading ashes.Sloughing, rotting and shedding away,I looked above me for one last time wondering Why?

The cruel waves began to calm as they claimed the life of another victim.

Injections of exuberant sunlight healed the precarious cliffs.Within the crevasses of the cliffs gulls protected their eggs with the shielding of exposed rocks.They glanced down to the calm and empty sea, which was elegant like the attraction of a luxury resort, it looked like the perfect place to swim.Thriving in an exotic bloom the silky sea releases its flourishment of springtime as it gently massages the bottom of the cliffside.Soothing salt waves caressed and replenished the bodies of its innocent victims which laid free,relaxed and relieved from the tensions and anxieties of the world.

Hi
I would agree with the previous comments and say that you should be careful not to use too many 'clinical' terms. For me, creative writing is all about describing the world in your own words, on your own terms. Don't be afraid of short and simple sentences.
Also, just a tiny note, but be really mindful of your formating. Especially the space tab after a full stop and before a new sentence and make sure to put an indent in paragraphs.
All the best,
Milena 🙂
MA Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending