The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8460
Original post by Iqbal007
the base i7 with 4 cores and 8 threads is about £240, the higher end versions have 6 cores and 12 threads.
16gb of ram is fine, about £80 at 1600mHZ with heatsinks and branded.

What size hard drives? considered ssd as well for some files?

Case will depend on individual preference, obviously at a least midi tower or bigger, rest will be determined on the features you want it to have, such as loads of fan space, hdd holders, etc. and maybe its appearance?
Cpu cooler, also again, its preference, whether you want to overclock or for better temperature and lower noise.
Motherboard, best value is about £80 however doesn't have sli support, it depends what you want for the future.
Graphics is another issue, as the 5xx is dated now, so support should come with the new 6xx, which are far cheaper than Quadros, as they cost quite a bit more, its your preference again, whether you want a dedicated professional card or use a gaming one?

Thanks for this.

So would this do the job? Any suggestions?

http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom-pc-quote.php?id=174360
Reply 8461
what other multimedia software were you looking to use?
if its things like autocad, etc than a i7 would be much stronger

It's mostly going to be the Creative Suite Adobe range, with some Audio/video editing.
Original post by Fizzeh
It's mostly going to be the Creative Suite Adobe range, with some Audio/video editing.

well an i7 would be a lot smoother if your planning on doing quite a lot, but as stated at the risk of a worse gpu.
Original post by JoeK
Thanks for this.

So would this do the job? Any suggestions?

http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom-pc-quote.php?id=174360

not entirely sure about the motherboard, its supposed to be good, only crossfire only and 2 sata 6gb/s hard drive ports and a lack of heatsinks around the cpu which can cause some heat issues for the motherboard.

power supply could be better, cooler is good but for temps and low noise.

The SSD is a bad make though, case isn't amazing for airflow but ok.

Though £300 over if you bought everything separately.
I'm getting to the point of ordering parts to build a gaming PC, only I need to be sure everything is compatible.
I have a general understanding of what is needed / what is popular but I've never put a PC together nor do I know much about standards like PCIE and SATA etc.

CPU: i5-3570k - Amazon - 174.94
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2X4GB) Vengeance Low Profile (Jet black) - Scan.co.uk - 34.99
Case: Corsait 600T white - Amazon - 134.41
Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced - Scan - 40.97
PSU: Corsair AX850W - Amazon - 142.97

Above I've listed components that I'm sure of using / those that will carry on into new builds. Below are components I'm not so convinced about.

Graphics card: MSI GTX 670 Power Edition - Scan - 326.00
MOBO: MSI Z77-GD65 - Scan - 140.12
SSD: Intel 330 120GB (or Samsung 830 128GB, whichever is cheaper?) - Amazon - 77.90
Optical drive: Standard Asus optical drive - Amazon - 15.99

Total: £1145.68. Not really willing to spend more, happy to spend slightly less.

- What is MSi's RMA / warranty policy like? Especially when compared with the likes of EVGA and Asus (for motherboards).

- Differences between the GD55 and GD65 motherboards?

- Intel 330 or Samsung 830?

- I'd rather order components form as few retailers as possible, unless the saving is significant (£4> per component).
From what I've gathered after using PCPartPicker, if Scan isn't the cheapest then Amazon nearly always is.

- The OEM version of windows is OK to use, isn't it?

- One other thing: I understand this might be trivial for some people, - but I like the internals to look decent.

Thank you in advance for any responses and for taking the time to read this somewhat lengthy post :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Killjoy-
I'm getting to the point of ordering parts to build a gaming PC, only I need to be sure everything is compatible.
I have a general understanding of what is needed / what is popular but I've never put a PC together nor do I know much about standards like PCIE and SATA etc.

CPU: i5-3570k - Amazon - 174.94
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2X4GB) Vengeance Low Profile (Jet black) - Scan.co.uk - 34.99
Case: Corsait 600T white - Amazon - 134.41
Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced - Scan - 40.97
PSU: Corsair AX850W - Amazon - 142.97

Above I've listed components that I'm sure of using / those that will carry on into new builds. Below are components I'm not so convinced about.

Graphics card: MSI GTX 670 Power Edition - Scan - 311.60
MOBO: MSI Z77-GD65 - Scan - 134.41
SSD: Intel 330 120GB (or Samsung 830 128GB, whichever is cheaper?) - Amazon - 77.90
Optical drive: Standard Asus optical drive - Amazon - 15.99

Total: £1145.68. Not really willing to spend more, happy to spend slightly less.

- What is MSi's RMA / warranty policy like? Especially when compared with the likes of EVGA and Asus (for motherboards).

- Differences between the GD55 and GD65 motherboards?

- Intel 330 or Samsung 830?

- I'd rather order components form as few retailers as possible, unless the saving is significant (£4> per component).
From what I've gathered after using PCPartPicker, if Scan isn't the cheapest then Amazon nearly always is.

- The OEM version of windows is OK to use, isn't it?

- One other thing: I understand this might be trivial for some people, - but I like the internals to look decent.

Thank you in advance for any responses and for taking the time to read this somewhat lengthy post :smile:

GD65 supports 2 more sata ports.

and this "1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slot
- PCI_E7 supports up to PCIe 2.0 x4 speed (when PCI_E3 or PCI_E6 is empty) or PCIe 2.0 x2 speed (when PCI_E3 or PCI_E6 is installed)." so to get that to work at x16 both the pcie at number 3 and 6 have to be empty.

OEM, is for one pc, and you got get the 64bit specifically, so in the standard version you get 2 dvds 32 bit and 64bit, in this version you got to choose so 64 bit. So the other issue is that the serial key activates once, so you got to tell them if you got to do a fresh install so they can reactivate the key.

the inside will look fine to be honest, plenty of holes in that case and you should get these little wires to tie the wires down on the other side of the case so the inside will look fine, just put some effort in, maybe put some led fans in or calode if you want :smile:
My option should be perfectly fine than, it should do very well, though i7 can be worse for gaming slightly, but the hyperthreading technology will make things like autocad a lot smoother. The gt650m is the best you can get for your price.

Might consider this, http://www.medion.com/gb/electronics/prod/MEDION%C2%AE++AKOYA%C2%AE+P6815+15.6%22+Laptop+%28MD98061%29/30014011A1?category=notebook_15&recId=&wt_mc=gb.intern.m-shop.pro-pla.on-ma&wt_cc1=m-shop_topseller_notebook-1.333-mitte&wt_cc2=30014011A1&wt_cw=30.2.8&utm_source=Internetseite-intern&utm_medium=Kachel&utm_content=notebook_1.333-mitte&utm_campaign=Kategoriekachel-Hotspots&utm_term=30014011A1

or this http://www.medion.com/gb/electronics/prod/MEDION%C2%AE+AKOYA%C2%AE+P7815+17.3%22+Laptop+%28MD98062%29/30014018A1?category=notebook_15

you might wanna look at the above.

Medion is a subsidiary of Lenovo by the way, i would also recommend a cooling pad, as high end usage can get hot especially where your pushing the graphics card on laptops

what do you think of this:
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Samsung_700G7C_Gamer_1218158.html

compared to this:
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Samsung_700Z5C_1217865.html
Reply 8467
Can I take the cover off my PC and hoover the insides? Or would this create too much static charge?

well the first one is serious amount of power, larger screen, much more powerful graphics card, more ram and a bit of ssd and a large HDD compared to the 2nd one.

That is serious money mind you, have a look at Asus and MSi.
Original post by cyfer
Can I take the cover off my PC and hoover the insides? Or would this create too much static charge?

No, you shouldn't do that at all, it can ause serious issues with components

You do realise they are both the same laptop loooool
both powerful enough for your needs
Reply 8471
Haha whoops I posted the wrong link. The one I posted is the one Im going to get... Thankyou for your help!
Original post by Fizzeh
Haha whoops I posted the wrong link. The one I posted is the one Im going to get... Thankyou for your help!

remember laptops get hot especially where they got a dedicated graphics card, so remember ventilation or a good cooling pad
Reply 8473
No, you shouldn't do that at all, it can ause serious issues with components

You do realise they are both the same laptop loooool
both powerful enough for your needs

Anyway I can clean it otherwise?
Original post by cyfer
Anyway I can clean it otherwise?

just use tissue and clearly wipe away the dust without trying to touch any of the open bits of the components.
well the first one is serious amount of power, larger screen, much more powerful graphics card, more ram and a bit of ssd and a large HDD compared to the 2nd one.

That is serious money mind you, have a look at Asus and MSi.

Can you find me powerful one under 1500 then plz,
Thanks for ur help
Well priced 6850 here
Original post by Killerstorm2
Can you find me powerful one under 1500 then plz,
Thanks for ur help

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS_Lamborghini_VX7SX-S1126Z_1133188.html

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ASUS_G53SX-IX122V_Gaming_Laptop_G53SX-IX122V/version.asp

tech is older for under £1500 from Asus

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Products/man/msi/cat/laptops/sort/1

Have a look through the above link for MSi laptops, seem pretty good
OK I may need a new laptop for uni....

I have a 15 inch macbook pro atm (2009 generation), but I have been having problems with it. Firstly there are some cosmetic problems, which i am not sure if is affecting the performance - the case is coming away from the main body in one corner. However more importantly I cannot connect wirelessly to the interent, and I am just met with 'airport card missing'. I have had to connect via ethernet.

Looking on apple forums the repair will set me back £500 (I am out of warrenty). I am unsure sure whether to get my mac fixed, for at least £500 or alternatively buy a new PC.

Thanks for the help

Latest

Trending

Trending