The Student Room Group
hi! i agree with u! QR is a nightmare for me cos i hate maths with a passion. i mean i tried some questions and it takes me the whole 33 seconds to understand the graph/table let alone work it out and answer it! i just like VR and DA . AR is a pain as well! i dont get it at all!
Reply 2
heyy. weirdly enuf i quite like QR but i think thats becoz i did maths for as-level, but wat reeli bugs me is that wen u get a hard graph or sumthin u end up wastin so much time analysin it then startin the first question and then its so hard to get back up to speed.
I havent taken the actualy test yet but i'll tel u wen i do. My advice is to just practice. I hate the Abstract reasoning one the most, shapes ARGH :woo:
Reply 3
i've done maths A level .. and got an A at AS.. but thats because those were exams i could revise for! .. u probably expect me 2 b ok at the test now.. but the time limit is so stupid.. in the practice one on the ukcat website there is so much text along with the table/graph that it wastes so much of your time which u could be spending on working out the answer... roughly u have 2 mins per table/graph (and to answer the 4 items per table/graph) ..!

my test is tomorrow!
Reply 4
well firstly dont panic, if you don't do so well in QR then u can use your other sections to bring up ur average right? yea i no wat u mean about maths... :/
Reply 5
i'm not too panicked just a bit nervous but thats really because of the timing of the test more than whats in it. i asked a friend how she did in the ukcat and she said she did ok, and she said she use to do badly in the practice tests, and in the real one she even ran out of time and only completed about half the questions for one section .. so that makes me feel better! and she said the maths section is easier in the real one... there is hope yet!
Reply 6
timing wise i think the quantitative and abstract is the worst.

i don't what i should be doing right now because i've done the practice tests before and theres no point repeating them because i'll know the answers .. feels like i should be doing something!
Reply 7
im just so releaved we get a calculator :woo: lol...ive been doin alright in the practises.

Its just AR that i hate with a passion...its so confusing and the time limit is so short, it takes long just to work out the patterns for each set :eek:
Reply 8
When I did the practice test, I got only 6/40 (or how ever many questions there are) right! In the real thing, I only had time to attempt 23 or so and I still got 650 :confused:

Good luck, you'll be fine, don't worry :smile:
I've got mine on friday and I am papping myself!
I keep watching the clock and not concentrating on the question so the time runs out really quickly.
I only finish like 10 questions (I think I just think about each one loads?)
Does anyone have any tips for QR???
Reply 10
how did it go?
the ukcat was not as hard as the practice papers on the website.. even with the practice.. i flopped my AR...didn't have a clue what i was doing!
does anyone actually know what they are looking for and got majority of those right?
Reply 11
I got 5 out of 40 :| in the one on their website for QR.
I don't understand why because i am quite good at maths usually :frown:
Is the real exam as hard?
Reply 12
the shape sections a killer
Ahh I hate QR, it's too long. My exam is all the way in September. I've got a bit of time to practise still, but it's so hard. :frown: Good luck everyone.
:party:
wisdom-tooth
Where are you thinking of applying?

I'll PM you that.
Reply 16
Forget the calc, you need to be lightening on mental arithmetic to get near the time limit. I found the actual test as hard as the practice, and the prep books were no where as difficult as the web site's practice. I was a bit dumb doing the prcatice test on ukcat just before the real thing, its was so hard I wasted time and had to drive like a mad man and sprint to the test centre.

Luckily you have time, try to find numeric aptitude tests in general not purely allied to UK cat they use them for all types of finance related inteviews in commerce. They will hone your maths and ability to reason quickly. It's not calculus so I don't think any A-level means much to numeric reasoning tests, its practice. I only had 2 weeks to practice in, you should be able to get months worth in and be fine for the real thing.

Good luck

rich
Have any of you suscribed to ukcatpractiseonline? If so, do you think that is more representative of the difficulty expexted in the exam?

Latest