The Student Room Group

access course

Hi, I’m hopefully going to start an access course in September in the hope of studying psychology at university. I’ve looked through different university websites, ucas etc. but it seems really hard to find exactly which universities will accept an access course as an entry requirement and wondered if anyone knew any off the top of their heads? I have found a few, it’s just quite confusing. Thank you :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by ohkay1
Hi, I’m hopefully going to start an access course in September in the hope of studying psychology at university. I’ve looked through different university websites, ucas etc. but it seems really hard to find exactly which universities will accept an access course as an entry requirement and wondered if anyone knew any off the top of their heads? I have found a few, it’s just quite confusing. Thank you :smile:

It's usually the English universities that accept Access courses (none in Ireland, Scotland, Wales, or any place abroad for some reason). Having said that, this can still vary from course to course, as some courses are more academic than others.

The ones that come to mind that also offer Psychology include Reading, Winchester, Brighton, Cambridge, UCL, Manchester, Warwick, etc. Most of the Russell Group Universities accept Access courses.

The only way you would be able to confirm if the university accept Access courses for the specific course that you want to do is to look at the entry requirements for each individual degree course. It's a complete pain, but it's a necessary step.

As you're looking into psychology, I would recommend looking at the BPS accredited courses and then check whether the specific course you want to do accepts Access:
https://portal.bps.org.uk/Accredited-Courses
Original post by ohkay1

Hey! Just in case you haven't had a look at CCCU we do accept access courses for Psychology with 15 distinctions and 30 merits, you can find out more here if you wanted to take a look: https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/study-here/courses/psychology

The course is also accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) which is a huge help to working in the industry without needing some additional training. We are also number 1 for graduates in employment according to the recent graduate outcomes survey.

As a Psychology graduate of CCCU if you have any specific questions please do ask, I am more than happy to help!! :smile:
A lot of universities do consider the access course and this info is usually in the qualifications or other/alternative qualifications section of courses. However, I'm going to assume something which may be related to your problem, so please forgive me.

I think psychology is a tricky course to apply for via the access course for certain universities. Psychology at university does involve some quantitative aspect (maths/statistics) and selected universities prefer that you're conformable with maths. As a result, they won't accept the access course alone absent proof of other A level equivalent quantitative subjects.

However, not all universities are this strict about the quantitative prerequisites and your access course may suffice for some. Unfortunately, you have to do the arduous task of going through various universities and check to see if they accept this qualification.

Also, it may be worthwhile emailing the admissions team of your top 5 universities (these will be your UCAS choices when its time to apply) and enquire about this issue, assuming the info is not already on their websites. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending