The Student Room Group

Can a good GRE (quantitative) score substitute for my lack of maths credentials?

I recently graduated with a 1st in my undergrad (sport management, Solent University). I want to switch to studying something more challenging and more academic for my Masters (most likely economics, even if this means taking an additional diploma or doing a 2 year Masters), and I want to apply for a top university (looking at LSE, Cambridge, etc.). However, these economics postgrad courses all ask for some sort of quantitative academic background as a prerequisite, which I don't have (school bored me as a kid, and I never took it seriously I only just scraped into Solent with a couple of BTECs and a personal training qualification from college).

I was always academically gifted and I'm confident I would be able to pick up the content of the course fairly quickly despite the gaps in my education, but, of course, it's difficult for me to prove this without the credentials, and I understand why they would be hesitant to take a chance on me. If I were to take a GRE test and score well on the quantitative section, would this be an adequate substitute for my lack of a mathematical background? Or should I perhaps look at taking a one-year maths diploma from The Open University (or something similar)?

many thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by DanHarrisFC
I recently graduated with a 1st in my undergrad (sport management, Solent University). I want to switch to studying something more challenging and more academic for my Masters (most likely economics, even if this means taking an additional diploma or doing a 2 year Masters), and I want to apply for a top university (looking at LSE, Cambridge, etc.). However, these economics postgrad courses all ask for some sort of quantitative academic background as a prerequisite, which I don't have (school bored me as a kid, and I never took it seriously I only just scraped into Solent with a couple of BTECs and a personal training qualification from college).

I was always academically gifted and I'm confident I would be able to pick up the content of the course fairly quickly despite the gaps in my education, but, of course, it's difficult for me to prove this without the credentials, and I understand why they would be hesitant to take a chance on me. If I were to take a GRE test and score well on the quantitative section, would this be an adequate substitute for my lack of a mathematical background? Or should I perhaps look at taking a one-year maths diploma from The Open University (or something similar)?

many thanks

You've got the right idea, but I think you are being too ambitious with Economics at LSE/Cambridge - they are serious, hardcore mathematical. Your confidence isn't the issue, high end universities select and you need to have qualifications that make you competitive in that selection. I think a 1 year OU maths course is more likely what will set you up for maybe the Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield range? A strong route is to do a diploma at the same Uni you'd like to go to after, as they will trust their own courses and you may be dealing with the academic staff.
I would not underestimate the challenges of Economics at LSE or Cambridge. It isn't about being academically gifted, it's the fact that these universities are top of the world, and have specific prerequisites for a reason.

A friend of mine is currently finishing up her MPhil in Economics at Cambridge. She's top of the country - I'm talking a serious Economics undergraduate, a First Class Honours, and did receive a generous scholarship from Cambridge. She scored well in her GREs too, and did some other supplemental papers/courses on a casual basis to refresh her skills before she made her way to Cambridge.

Even with her extensive background, she found it difficult - intensely so, to the point where she wasn't sure if she was going to pass her final exams. I get to see what she works on from time to time - and it reads like alien language to me. There may be a serious gap in what you think you know, versus what is actually taught in LSE/Cambridge.
A strong GRE quantitative score can partially compensate for a lack of formal math credentials, but it may not fully substitute them. Admissions committees consider various factors, including coursework and relevant experience. While a high GRE score demonstrates quantitative aptitude, additional evidence of mathematical proficiency, such as relevant coursework or practical application, strengthens your case. It's advisable to complement your GRE score with supporting credentials to present a well-rounded application. If you want to score better grades in GRE test, I will suggest you to take help of PassPyschometric academy to score better in http://passpsychometric.com/exam-tutoringGRE Exam. I'm not advertising, it's my personally tested and experienced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending