The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics 15th November 2010 handlling data

Hi everyone
Thoughts on the exam, i thought it was really easy
Yeah..Yeah Paper A was Faaab.

What did you put for the last question for Section B?
Reply 2
Yeah, I thought this exam was alright too, but there's gonna be really high boundaries (29/30 for A*)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by thefootyking19
yeah..yeah paper a was faaab.

What did you put for the last question for section b?

27/55 (54/110)
Reply 4
Section B, last question = 54/110 (I put) or 27/55 :biggrin: I asked my teachers after the exam aswell xD
Im just wondering about the survery question, could anybody tell me whether this is right or wrong:

How much do you spent at the supermarket each week?
0(none) -- £0.01-£5 -- £5.01-£10 -- £10.01-£15 -- £15.01-£20 -- £20.01+

Also 2 reasons why that other survey question was wrong:
1) there was no time interval. E.g = how much money spent in a week?
2) There was no box for 0(none) money spent at the supermarket

Otherwise I belive i have gotten full marks :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by r88ney
Section B, last question = 54/110 (I put) or 27/55 :biggrin: I asked my teachers after the exam aswell xD
Im just wondering about the survery question, could anybody tell me whether this is right or wrong:

How much do you spent at the supermarket each week?
0(none) -- £0.01-£5 -- £5.01-£10 -- £10.01-£15 -- £15.01-£20 -- £20.01+

Also 2 reasons why that other survey question was wrong:
1) there was no time interval. E.g = how much money spent in a week?
2) There was no box for 0(none) money spent at the supermarket

Otherwise I belive i have gotten full marks :smile:

Yeah, Hi. Survey question is definitely right, I had more or less identical response boxes to you aswell. I got the time interval one aswell, for the other reason I put the boxes were too vague, I'm not really sure if I'll get that, but yours is probably right.. Also for the grouped mean did you get 34?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

many, many people wrote too vague, soo you should have gotten it right :smile:

yepp my mean was 34 :biggrin:
(1020 divide by 30 = 34)

for section B did you get 54/110?

question =
3 jar's of honey, 8 jar's of jam -- total 11
what is the probability of getting at least one jar of honey?

I did:
8/11 x 7/10 = 56/110, 110/110(equivalent to 1) - 56/110 = 54/110 :smile:

P.S = I'm pretty sure it was, without replacement :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by r88ney
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

many, many people wrote too vague, soo you should have gotten it right :smile:

yepp my mean was 34 :biggrin:

for section B did you get 54/110?

question =
3 jar's of honey, 8 jar's of jam -- total 11
what is the probability of getting at least one jar of honey?

I did:
8/11 x 7/10 = 56/110, 110/110(equivalent to 1) - 56/110 = 54/110 :smile:

Yep, I did exactly that for the probability one (we did it the clever way, other people would've done it the long way); the only question I'm concerned about is the Box plot comparisons, for my first reason I wrote Girls have a smaller range, for the second I wrote Boys have a larger IQ range, I think one of them has to be about the median?
Reply 8
Original post by Benmaster
Yep, I did exactly that for the probability one (we did it the clever way, other people would've done it the long way); the only question I'm concerned about is the Box plot comparisons, for my first reason I wrote Girls have a smaller range, for the second I wrote Boys have a larger IQ range, I think one of them has to be about the median?

Ouch!
I think you mean IQR not IQ lol.
It has to be the spread(range or IQR) and the median.
So, sadly you did lose 1 mark there :frown:
Reply 9
haha, wouldn't call you sad for asking that to the exam board :smile:
hmmm.. you might just get full marks :smile: Well it all depends on how generous the examiner is :smile:

So yes, you can still have hope :smile:

Note the fact that he said "very few candidates", so it does depend on chance.
Also, did you actually state HQ-LQ=IQR for both box plots, and say by how much bigger it is, than the other?
Also, for range did you also say how much bigger the box plot is, than the other?
If you did state this, they would think you put a lot of hard effort into it, thus awarding you full marks :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
The really annoying thing is I wrote about the median before crossing it out and writing something about range really small next to it.. Urghh!! why did I do that!?!
Reply 11
Original post by Benmaster
The really annoying thing is I wrote about the median before crossing it out and writing something about range really small next to it.. Urghh!! why did I do that!?!

Ok, I dont want to demorlise you or anything, but I belive this greatly reduces your chance of getting full marks :frown:
1 mark = 4% UMS (roughtly)
A* = 29/30 = 76% UMS

So, you should still get A* but, you will miss out full marks.

P.S = For the frequency density did you go up in 2's (each 1 boxe going up = 1)
I just did 2,4,6
The highest FD was 5 and the lowest was 1(5 divided by 5)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by TheFootyKing19
Yeah..Yeah Paper A was Faaab.

What did you put for the last question for Section B?

i put 30/110 i am pretty sure that is right as i times th honey and honey and also the honey and the jam one. I added them together which is 30/110 i am pretty sure that is right
Reply 13
Original post by dsi21
i put 30/110 i am pretty sure that is right as i times th honey and honey and also the honey and the jam one. I added them together which is 30/110 i am pretty sure that is right

Im sorry to break it to you, but your 100% wrong.
Read above to see my working out.
My teachers got access to the papers, and worked it out.
Its 100% 54/110 or simplified 27/55 whichever, they are both right.

You may get marks however, for the working out (showing the tree diagram and labelling correctly)
I messed up on that paper =( first of all the survey question I put like 5-10 and 11-15... and the best line of fit was a bit dodgey I wanted to change it but time ws up and what did you guys get for the 4 point moving average. I got someting like 40.5on the first one. Im sure i added it correctly. I would like to ask would you get an mark for a correct estimate on a wrong line of best fit. thanks
Hi all.
Are we all talking about the higher?
I thought it was pretty straightforward. I thinkk I messed up on the last question on Paper 3 (non-calculator). I found out after the exam that I should have drawn a circle. Oh well. :smile:
When do the results come out? xx
Reply 16
Original post by Awesome-ness
Hi all.
Are we all talking about the higher?
I thought it was pretty straightforward. I thinkk I messed up on the last question on Paper 3 (non-calculator). I found out after the exam that I should have drawn a circle. Oh well. :smile:
When do the results come out? xx

You're talking about the Linear paper; Here are the answers for papers 1&2 respectively:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1461373
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1464655
can someone help me out ? do you get an mark for a correct estimste but for a wrong line of best fit
Reply 18
those were the good old times at school... uni is hardcore

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending