The Student Room Group

rights with a bad hair colouring at the salon?

Two days ago i go my hair dyed from a light brown/dark brown at a new salon. From what i could tell at the salon i was thrilled at the result, loved the experience, the staff were really friendly and as i got a discount (from their open evening) i left a relatively big tip, told the hairdresser it was perfect and left.

Then when i got home i checked it out a little closer and realised the roots were terrible, it looked like i'd had it done a couple of weeks! now a couple of days later i've noticed its started to go slightly ginger. I knew it was a risk as i hadn dyed my hair before and didnt know how it was going to go but thats why i spent all the money to get it done professionally

So now its no-where near what i wanted and as i spent a significant amount of money on it what are my rights about going back and getting them to fix it? I dont want ginger hair for christmas!!

and i feel so bad about going back - i hate complaining and i told them it was perfect!!
Original post by NicoleG13
Two days ago i go my hair dyed from a light brown/dark brown at a new salon. From what i could tell at the salon i was thrilled at the result, loved the experience, the staff were really friendly and as i got a discount (from their open evening) i left a relatively big tip, told the hairdresser it was perfect and left.

Then when i got home i checked it out a little closer and realised the roots were terrible, it looked like i'd had it done a couple of weeks! now a couple of days later i've noticed its started to go slightly ginger. I knew it was a risk as i hadn dyed my hair before and didnt know how it was going to go but thats why i spent all the money to get it done professionally

So now its no-where near what i wanted and as i spent a significant amount of money on it what are my rights about going back and getting them to fix it? I dont want ginger hair for christmas!!

and i feel so bad about going back - i hate complaining and i told them it was perfect!!

It's hard to do much since you WERE happy with it at the salon.

However if you go back and kick up a bit of a fuss they may offer you something as a "gesture of goodwill"
Reply 2
Original post by greeneyedgirl

However if you go back and kick up a bit of a fuss they may offer you something as a "gesture of goodwill"

i know - its horrible - i hate complaining so much as it is!!

but are they likely to do anything about it if they didnt know it was going to turn out the colour it did either?? not sure if i can actually hold it against them that it turned out as it is :s-smilie:
i know - its horrible - i hate complaining so much as it is!!

but are they likely to do anything about it if they didnt know it was going to turn out the colour it did either?? not sure if i can actually hold it against them that it turned out as it is :s-smilie:

No, the colour you can't really complain about, different hair takes colour differently. However the roots you can complain about.
Reply 4
Original post by greeneyedgirl

Or they may not, which was the experience I had this year, no gesture or offer to fix. :frown:

Put me off dying my hair again I'll tell ya!
Original post by nirish-tom
Or they may not, which was the experience I had this year, no gesture or offer to fix. :frown:

Put me off dying my hair again I'll tell ya!

Maybe you didn't sound stroppy enough! OCR took about a month to offer me a gesture of goodwill for losing my coursework and thus meaning I had to wait for 3 days to find out if I got into uni. But after complaining for a month I got £100...WORTH IT!
go back and say well this is what has happened ot my hair, i'm not happy i paid xx amount and the roots have gone this colour, i would like it fixing.
i could understand your unhappiness at poor root coverage....

... but it going lighter/ginger? they could simply claim that you're overwashing your hair, or using washing/styling products unsuitable for the dye.
Reply 8
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
i could understand your unhappiness at poor root coverage....

... but it going lighter/ginger? they could simply claim that you're overwashing your hair, or using washing/styling products unsuitable for the dye.

well i told her i wash it each morning but with an everyday shampoo. I still need to go and get a colour shampoo but its only been four days and its still getting more ginger!!
well i told her i wash it each morning but with an everyday shampoo. I still need to go and get a colour shampoo but its only been four days and its still getting more ginger!!

Did the hairdresser tell you not to do that? As far as I know usually with dyed hair you shouldn't be washing it more than every other day. I was also advised to use shampoo for coloured hair or baby shampoo, as some normal shampoos can strip the colour out.
Reply 10
You shouldnt really be washing your hair with a 'normal' shampoo if it has colour in, if you go back then this is what they'll say to you probably. I was warned about this last time I went as my hair was blonde and I had it dyed dark red and I was told not to use anything like Pantene or L'Oreal as it ruins the colour.

I cant see them doing anything in all honesty, sorry.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
okay so i went back to the salon, explained the problem and without even kicking up an actual fuss of anything, they agreed to do the roots and put a toner through to take out the orange :biggrin: gonna go shopping tomorrow and buy some colour shampoo so hopefully it'll be all sorted for xmas :smile: thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply

Latest