The Student Room Group

How to accept myself bisexual?

I'm almost 16 years old and I've known for about a year that I'm bisexual, but it's still difficult for me to accept this. I feel that this is a mistake and that I must punish myself. I hurt myself sometimes if I think that someone of the same sex attractive or want relationships. I think it's right if someone doesn't like me or laughs at me because of that, I think that I deserve all this and more. My family doesn't know this because she is very Christian and I don't want to get into trouble. How can I accept who I am or why, is it really ok that I'm bisexual?
Reply 1
You're underage and also dependent on your family so the advice you're going to get is very limited.

However, why do you think being bisexual is wrong? Is it religious?
There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with being bisexual, you cannot help who you are attracted to or love. I struggled with my sexuality for a long time too (I'm also bi) cos of my homophobic parents making me think it was something bad and I struggled with hating and hurting myself for it too but I overcame this and accepted who I am and now it never bothers me at all, I barely think about it- it's just a fact about me I can't control like I can't control my hair colour or skin colour. You deserve to be loved no matter your sexuality and you deserve to have love, romantic love as well, just as much as a straight person. I'm sorry that you think your parents won't accept you- I know mine won't either, but it's your life, not theirs. If they truly love you, they will eventually accept you. And if they don't ever accept you, I'm sorry, but they're not worth it. But I wouldn't tell them about it now as you're still dependant on them as a child, wait until you're independent and safe. Another thing, these feelings you're having about your sexuality will never go away, hating and hurting yourself for it will never make you feel better, it won't change who you are. It's better to make peace with who you are.
Reply 3
Original post by Redrobinbird
There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with being bisexual, you cannot help who you are attracted to or love. I struggled with my sexuality for a long time too (I'm also bi) cos of my homophobic parents making me think it was something bad and I struggled with hating and hurting myself for it too but I overcame this and accepted who I am and now it never bothers me at all, I barely think about it- it's just a fact about me I can't control like I can't control my hair colour or skin colour. You deserve to be loved no matter your sexuality and you deserve to have love, romantic love as well, just as much as a straight person. I'm sorry that you think your parents won't accept you- I know mine won't either, but it's your life, not theirs. If they truly love you, they will eventually accept you. And if they don't ever accept you, I'm sorry, but they're not worth it. But I wouldn't tell them about it now as you're still dependant on them as a child, wait until you're independent and safe. Another thing, these feelings you're having about your sexuality will never go away, hating and hurting yourself for it will never make you feel better, it won't change who you are. It's better to make peace with who you are.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it! I'm sorry that you had to go trough this too! It makes me happy to know that you accepted yourself for who you are. You're right, it's better to make peace with that 🤍
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you very much! I really appreciate it! I'm sorry that you had to go trough this too! It makes me happy to know that you accepted yourself for who you are. You're right, it's better to make peace with that 🤍

I'm really glad I helped, good luck with everything x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending