The Student Room Group

EMA: good or bad? POLL

Poll

Are you glad EMA has been scrapped?

Seemed to be on the news a lot this morning, so I thought I'd see how many people actually wanted to keep it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was entitled to get the EMA but I never got anything. I know some people who used their money from it for very stupid things, or just got drunk at weekends constantly, while others I know have used sensibily and not wasted it. I think it's a shame that it's being scrapped because there are a lot of genuine people who are entitled to it, but ofcourse there is a lot who aren't and abuse the system.
Reply 2
Drastic times calls for drastic measures.

Very supportive of it being canned.......... seen too damn many people abusing it rather than it being put to good use.
Reply 3
It should be kept, when I was doing sixth form, it helped me loads - everyone else should get the same thing I did.
Reply 4
i must admit it does help a lot of people. but can't deny some didn't need it and used it to get an iphone!
everybody should have got it, or nobody should have got it.

to the people negging me... fair enough, but i believe the point of this thread is to have a discussion, so would any of you care to reply?
(edited 13 years ago)
Should be implemented in other ways. WH Smith vouchers, book shop tokens etc as well as transport subsidy. Screams of nanny state though. : S
EMA is generally used correctly :smile:

I mean I use it to buy or go places fair enough... but that motivates me to study :tongue:
The point of EMA was to combat material deprivation and give working class students a fair chance in secondary education. Being means tested was a way of it being given to students that needed it the most. Some use it properly, others do not. However it is not up to anyone else what the student spends it on. EMA has unarguably convinced more students to go on to secondary education and surely we must all agree that is a good thing?

There was a thread up the other day (posted from the Guardian) suggesting that the loss of EMA would stop a lot of students going on to secondary education (cannot remember the exact figure). This means that many potential students are going to avoid secondary education and go straight into work (or on job seekers) rather than become more educated. It could be suggested then, that scrapping EMA is purely for the benefit of the middle and upper classes. It stops working class students (I stress, SOME working class students) from going on to secondary education and therefore maintains class inequalities.

The argument that people feel they "shouldn't have to pay for students EMA" is irrelevant. Your taxes may go towards EMA but if it didn't go towards it, the government would only put that money towards some other scheme. Is it not better to support working class students to reach their potential, rather than have your money going into some other government plan?

The argument that scrapping EMA is for the good of the economy is a valid one. Yes it frees up a vast sum of money, but isn't having a skilled workforce, reproduced yearly, more important? Surely skilled workers are needed so that when the economy recovers and companies begin to branch out again, skilled workers will be needed to fill these vacancies. Scrapping EMA is all well and good in the short term but, in the long term, it MAY effect the lives of many future generations of working class students.
Reply 9
my family was a couple of hundred pounds over the limit last year, but this year we are a couple of thousand below it, and that money would have been useful seeing as i don't have the time for a job, and if i did, there aren't any about around me, plus I don't have pocket money anymore.

Then you hear about TSRians saying they're angry it's being scrapped because they need the money for fags! if we didn't give the money to such low lifes then the limit would have been raised and I might has got some.
Reply 10
Original post by anfieldred07
The point of EMA was to combat material deprivation and give working class students a fair chance in secondary education. Being means tested was a way of it being given to students that needed it the most. Some use it properly, others do not. However it is not up to anyone else what the student spends it on. EMA has unarguably convinced more students to go on to secondary education and surely we must all agree that is a good thing?

There was a thread up the other day (posted from the Guardian) suggesting that the loss of EMA would stop a lot of students going on to secondary education (cannot remember the exact figure). This means that many potential students are going to avoid secondary education and go straight into work (or on job seekers) rather than become more educated. It could be suggested then, that scrapping EMA is purely for the benefit of the middle and upper classes. It stops working class students (I stress, SOME working class students) from going on to secondary education and therefore maintains class inequalities.

The argument that people feel they "shouldn't have to pay for students EMA" is irrelevant. Your taxes may go towards EMA but if it didn't go towards it, the government would only put that money towards some other scheme. Is it not better to support working class students to reach their potential, rather than have your money going into some other government plan?

The argument that scrapping EMA is for the good of the economy is a valid one. Yes it frees up a vast sum of money, but isn't having a skilled workforce, reproduced yearly, more important? Surely skilled workers are needed so that when the economy recovers and companies begin to branch out again, skilled workers will be needed to fill these vacancies. Scrapping EMA is all well and good in the short term but, in the long term, it MAY effect the lives of many future generations of working class students.

I am working class and this year we are struggling and I even more so because I don't get EMA.
Original post by Nix-j-c
I am working class and this year we are struggling and I even more so because I don't get EMA.

A friend of mine has to get on a bus that takes an hour and a half to get her to college, and costs £8 a day for the privilege. Her EMA doesn't even cover her travel. I feel sorry for students next year and years after.
Reply 12
The Tories are correct - they should scrap the EMA system NOW, 99.99% of the students at my school spent it on clothes, drugs and drink - how do i know this? Well they would post facebook updates like, 'Dam EMA - hurry up i wanna go out this weekend' and 'EMA bonus = shopping day'

Scrap the EMA system now!
Original post by Fabolous
The Tories are correct - they should scrap the EMA system NOW, 99.99% of the students at my school spent it on clothes, drugs and drink - how do i know this? Well they would post facebook updates like, 'Dam EMA - hurry up i wanna go out this weekend' and 'EMA bonus = shopping day'

Scrap the EMA system now!

Would you rather the EMA system be scrapped and these students, rather than attend college, go on job seekers and then the government spend even more money on job seekers schemes? Leading to higher levels of unemployment ? And higher levels of government expenditure on these "failed" students?
Reply 14
anfield, they're gonna make it so you have to be at sixth form or some kind of other college until you're at least 18, and if you have to be there, then they won't have to give EMA out of JSA for udner 18s, which IMo they shouldn't anyway.
I only know people from my school who get it and they all happen to have blackberries or other expensive phones. The rest spend it on shopping and driving lessons, so not really an educational maintenance allowance. Although, I agree that some people do need it, especially in London where travel costs a lot. The system was not efficient, only a very small minority needed it and used it correctly.
Original post by Nix-j-c
anfield, they're gonna make it so you have to be at sixth form or some kind of other college until you're at least 18, and if you have to be there, then they won't have to give EMA out of JSA for udner 18s, which IMo they shouldn't anyway.

Sorry, what are JSA's?(I have not come across them)

Making students have to go into further education is all well and good, but one thing that stops most working class potential students going into further education is lack of financial backing. So the government can force these pupils to go all they want, but if they can't afford to get there, or afford to buy textbooks etc, then they either won't turn up or will underachieve leading to class inequalities being upheld.
Reply 17
Job seekers allowance, for people not in education or work.
Original post by Anita B. Studin
I only know people from my school who get it and they all happen to have blackberries or other expensive phones. The rest spend it on shopping and driving lessons, so not really an educational maintenance allowance. Although, I agree that some people do need it, especially in London where travel costs a lot. The system was not efficient, only a very small minority needed it and used it correctly.

Maybe giving the school each students EMA to be spent on that student could work? e.g. The school uses the students EMA to buy the student textbooks? This would solve the problem of students not spending EMA on educational problems? Although the problem of travel costs wouldn't be resolved this way. (Unless bus tickets could work the same way)
Original post by Nix-j-c
Job seekers allowance, for people not in education or work.

Duh, how did i not realize that :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending