The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Academic conduct investigation

i was just wondering if anyone is currently being investigated for plagiarism? it was first flagged in March by my tutor - id forgotten to quotation mark direct quotes i'd used.
However last week i recieved an email from the academic conduct team telling me i was being investigated.
No one will tell me how long it will take and im supposed to get my classification on the 21st - and already have a spot in another uni for my masters.
Just looking for someone to discuss if they're in a similar situation.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
i was just wondering if anyone is currently being investigated for plagiarism? it was first flagged in March by my tutor - id forgotten to quotation mark direct quotes i'd used.
However last week i recieved an email from the academic conduct team telling me i was being investigated.
No one will tell me how long it will take and im supposed to get my classification on the 21st - and already have a spot in another uni for my masters.

I'm not in a similar situation but am starting my studies with OU in October.

Kind of scary how they wait months to tell you about possible academic misconduct, makes me scared it could happen to me while I'm doing my course.

Fingers it gets sorted out soon and that you're able to graduate on time to start your masters. Could you post updates if the situation changes?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Yes I am in a similar situation, I have just received an email about potential plagiarism in my final EMA. To be perfectly honest I am stressing so much cos I don't know what's happened. I've also been reading some of these posts and it looks like it could take months to discover what happens.
Reply 3
Yes I am in a similar situation, I have just received an email about potential plagiarism in my final EMA. To be perfectly honest I am stressing so much cos I don't know what's happened. I've also been reading some of these posts and it looks like it could take months to discover what happens.

They’ve continuously told me to ignore the posts on here. I’m now on week 2 of waiting and one of my final modules were pended.
I have received an email from the investigation team today stating they’re actively working on my case.
Hopefully we both have answers soon I’m here if you need a chat :smile:
Yes hopefully I've just used a feature on word document that allows u to check for plagiarism/ similarities to online sources and it came back as less then 10% both times but the same price of work from course hero was flagged more than once. Now I'm really panicking.
Reply 5
Yes hopefully I've just used a feature on word document that allows u to check for plagiarism/ similarities to online sources and it came back as less then 10% both times but the same price of work from course hero was flagged more than once. Now I'm really panicking.

Okay so because mine was the conduct team themselves sending it me - they had to send me their evidence and I got a chance to give feedback (I am assuming you’ll get a chance to do this if it goes further).
They sent me tma 3 if my module which was done in march and it had been highlighted in red where turn it in believed there was an issue - the majority that was highlighted are references which are clearly referenced or were genuine direct quotes missed off a stupid mistake ( they were referenced just missing the quotation marks) with 1/2 tiny little 3-4 word segments in my own words which have randomly flagged. I was honest with them and told them how it had been noted in the tma feedback that I’d missed the marks of the quotes I had used from a specific paper.
Student support told me that the more honest you are the better it goes.
They originally emailed me on the 3rd according to the conduct teams emails they conduct investigations within 4 weeks and you should hear back in that time.

Student support have been pretty useless - they’re kind and everything but because they can’t actually give any information it’s extremely difficult for them to be helpful. Not their fault in itself.

Hopefully yours has just been flagged by turn it in and module leader won’t find reason for it to be passed further. Mine was flagged by turnit in and directly to academic conduct for some reason.

Hope this kinda helps put your mind at ease. However much there are a few horror stories on here open have over 20,000 students I’m sure if they really do consistently have issues that more people would be on here with the same issues. (Atleast that’s what I’m telling myself😂)
Thank you that's helpful. And so are u saying that it could be any of my assignments that I've done this year because the only ones that I don't have results for are my EMA's at the minute. But it sounds like your saying it could be from any of my tmas from this year..?
Reply 7
I’m not really sure - I am assuming if you’ve been sent the generic email today about pending results it will be the EMA. Because they flagged mine weeks ago while EMAs were being marked still.
They’re being very strict and pulling the slightest thing I think because of people using AI to write their work for them.
On one of the uni fb pages - there is a post and there are so many people who have been pulled for plagiarism and received the email today for pending results :smile: So we are definitely not alone, however it does add to the stress of how long will we all be waiting
Oh wow that makes me feel a bit better thanks, what's the Facebook page if u don't mind please, I would love to take a look
And has your case been fully resolved then?
Since you said u have told them your explanation
Reply 10
It’s the for members of the OU - open university page.

And unfortunately not. So when the conduct team emailed me they gave me until 17th to respond to the investigation. And then I am praying that they’re not working on coming to a conclusion. But I am also not hopeful hahah
Oh okay, you'll have to keep me posted on what happens and I'll do the same for you.
Thanks for trying to put my mind at ease a bit. It's good to know I'm not the only one in this situation.
I have the same issue at third year currently
This is at my resit and the email I got was to be an allegation of academic breach of Regulation
Submitted my work through different plagiarism checker and submitted at turnintin and then the similarity was high but before this it was showing pending and I couldn’t see the similarity to even make amendments… what do I do?
Reply 13
Oh okay, you'll have to keep me posted on what happens and I'll do the same for you.
Thanks for trying to put my mind at ease a bit. It's good to know I'm not the only one in this situation.

There are so many of us don’t worry! What is your degree in?
Reply 14
I have the same issue at third year currently
This is at my resit and the email I got was to be an allegation of academic breach of Regulation
Submitted my work through different plagiarism checker and submitted at turnintin and then the similarity was high but before this it was showing pending and I couldn’t see the similarity to even make amendments… what do I do?

Honestly - try and stay calm. Listen to them, work with them and hope for the best.
Have you used a chatbot or anything for your work? This is a thing which is massively effecting people who have used them.

Have you heard from the academic conduct team yet or have you just had the generic email about your pending result?
That's ****, sorry to hear but I thinks it's honestly just a waiting game now. I'm trying not to think about it. It's out of our control so just got to get on with it until we find out more
Reply 16
That's ****, sorry to hear but I thinks it's honestly just a waiting game now. I'm trying not to think about it. It's out of our control so just got to get on with it until we find out more

I think this is what’s worse tho, working so hard for something and then it’s just taken completely out of your hands. But as you say all we can do is hope for the best - for a first offence a warning is more likely depending on the seriousness so there is that atleast
Honestly - try and stay calm. Listen to them, work with them and hope for the best.
Have you used a chatbot or anything for your work? This is a thing which is massively effecting people who have used them.

Have you heard from the academic conduct team yet or have you just had the generic email about your pending result?

I have heard from the academic conduct team and I didn’t use the chat box fair enough I got my reference from sources articles and pdf and cited them as well and similarly later showed 52% at on the next day after pending day of resubmitting. Now I had a meeting with them academics conduct team

And I was given two options of the outcome for the meeting which are

Further to the BoR meeting held, a Level B Penalty had been proposed with the following outcomes
You will be issued with a mark of 0 for the relevant assessment component
As the breach occurred during your resit opportunity, the effect of the penalty will be determined at the Assessment Board, please check Direct for further instructions once results are released 

Now I can’t graduate in September 🥲
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 18
Yeh same for me. Final year, received results for one ema but the other is pending. Had an email earlier today stating that there is some potential issues of concern that may be related to plagiarism and a member of faculty staff is going to review my work to see if it needs further investigation.
Original post by dbar
Yeh same for me. Final year, received results for one ema but the other is pending. Had an email earlier today stating that there is some potential issues of concern that may be related to plagiarism and a member of faculty staff is going to review my work to see if it needs further investigation.

I guess you should be able to appeal after the investigation is carried out because that is what I am doing atm even if… but life goes on my own work depends on the response of the assessment board now

Quick Reply

Latest