The Student Room Group

Maths coursework data handling - the newspaper one...

im doing the newspaper investigation for Edexcel, higher. i am investigating the readability of three newspapers. i would like to know if most people include standard deviation in their coursework :confused: ? i mean, my teacher hasnt mentioned it. is it neccessary and if i do it will it help me gain more marks? (im aiming for an A*).

cheers
(PS. if anyone has any tips on how to get the most marks then please enlighten me! my school isnt very good in that area)
Reply 1
Amina1989
im doing the newspaper investigation for Edexcel, higher. i am investigating the readability of three newspapers. i would like to know if most people include standard deviation in their coursework :confused: ? i mean, my teacher hasnt mentioned it. is it neccessary and if i do it will it help me gain more marks? (im aiming for an A*).

cheers
(PS. if anyone has any tips on how to get the most marks then please enlighten me! my school isnt very good in that area)

let me see - its been a while because we did that cw in year 9 to "practise"

always do standard deviation if you can - its really important with in stats but you must analysise and tell you what it shows

we did % of pictures - take about 10 pages measure the area in cm measure all the pictures in those 10 pages and put it into a percentage - a paper that had a higher percentage of pictures will have a lower percentage of text so will be easier to read

average words in an artice - use a proper sampling method and do at least 10 articles

average lenth of letters - in 100 words use a tally chart

have at least 3 hypothesis and do them one by one - and put why you have choose them

have decent conclusions about each hypothesis

have a decent conclusion and analysis at the end

ALLWAYS SAY WHAT THE RESULTS SHOW

let me know if u need any more help
Reply 2
You may find it better to use equations that were made to describe readability. There are two that I know of - just let me go look them up from the word help files :tongue:.

Flesch Reading Ease score
206.835 (1.015 x ASL) (84.6 x ASW)

ASL = average sentence length (the number of words divided by the number of sentences)

ASW = average number of syllables per word (the number of syllables divided by the number of words)

This equation rates the text out of 100, the closer to 100 the easier it is to read.

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score
(.39 x ASL) + (11.8 x ASW) 15.59

Rates text on a U.S. school grade level. For example, a score of 8.0 means that an eighth grader can understand the document.
Reply 3
We're doing stats GCSE at my school, and we learnt Standard Deviation too.

Standard deviation is a way of showing how much data varies from other pieces of data, so how much it deviates.

The formula for standard deviation is slightly complicated, so if you have trouble remembering it, if you have a CASIO calculator- the formula is in the cover. Just follow the instructions on there.

I think it does get you more marks if you can demonstrate that you know how to use it and what it shows, as my sister who didn't do stats- it wasn't introduced when she was in year eleven, hasn't even learned SD in AS level maths yet.
i dont think standard deviation is necessary for A * i mean thats alevel work isnt it ? to get A * you just need to do everything it tells you really
Reply 5
iceman_jondoe
i dont think standard deviation is necessary for A * i mean thats alevel work isnt it ? to get A * you just need to do everything it tells you really
I dont think its A level work its covered in the Stats GCSE as far as i know
Reply 6
ahhh i did linear regression here if i can remember...well i got an A (in crswk) with that,2 marks off A*,however yeah you should do standard deviation isnt hard....and will get you marks....most probs A/A*

regards

Latest