The Student Room Group

Most convenient way to get another GCSE?

So I am a mature student and have been looking at going to University, however I've seen a few universities saying they require at least 3 GCSE's (including maths and English). I have always thought it was 2 required.

I have Maths and English language, which i passed recently, but at school, i never took any of the other GCSEs for reasons not relating to my education level.

What would be the easiest, or best way to get another GCSE?
Original post by LeoGuaje7
So I am a mature student and have been looking at going to University, however I've seen a few universities saying they require at least 3 GCSE's (including maths and English). I have always thought it was 2 required.

I have Maths and English language, which i passed recently, but at school, i never took any of the other GCSEs for reasons not relating to my education level.

What would be the easiest, or best way to get another GCSE?

The easiest way would probably be to pick a subject which you think you know fairly well already, check out the specifications for that subject from a few exam boards, and then register as an "external" candidate with the one which you prefer.

An external candidate self-studies (so you can study at your own pace, at times convenient to you), and then just registers with a local exam centre (typically a school or college) to actually sit the exam.

If you take this approach, watch out for subjects where there's a practical or coursework element, because those can be hard to arrange as an external candidate. This includes science subjects, if you want the practical endorsement. If you want to do a science GCSE, then by all means do, but check before-hand that you can find a local college to handle the practical endorsement side of things.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
This includes science subjects, if you want the practical endorsement. If you want to do a science GCSE, then by all means do, but check before-hand that you can find a local college to handle the practical endorsement side of things.

OP - If you did want to do a science, then take a look at International GCSEs (Cambridge or Edexcel), as these courses do not require a practical - just examinations. I redid my Chemistry GCSE as an IGCSE this way in 2021. :smile: Good luck!
Reply 3
take Islamic studies IGCSE that is next level easy especially if your Muslim

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending