The Student Room Group

Am I making a mistake degree

So I've applied for and been offered places for marketing and business /management bsc/ba

The main purpose of choosing this degree is so I can go into the marketing sector as most jobs ( excluding graduate schemes ) want a degree within business or marketing.

I've never had an office job or marketing job. Most business experience I've had is retail and buying and selling things. Research wise I've been trying to understand the pros and cons of jobs and I know probably not the best idea but I've been trying to understand roles at by watching vids of other people's experiences within the field as I don't know anyone who works in any of the fields I'm interested in.

I would prefer to get into a field that pays well as I am over 21 and going to uni is a very big investment for me.

I'm kinda stuck on what I'm doing as business was my best subject at school but i also never had the opportunity to study to economics . I have recently done as access course and I've done online courses .

I have asked family and friends about what they think I should do I usually get do an art or speech therapy degree.

I found that I like psychology but I prefer sociology, I'm fond of economics and finance but I'm not sure if I could handle the maths and I have an interest in data science and data analytics.

Job wise I suppose I would prefer a marketing based role
A business analytics or business intelligence job
Maybe market research
Pr or brand management
Data science

My main issue is being able to go on to a data science or data analytics masters after as as marketing and business isn't usually considered a mathematical degree.

I've noticed that alot of degrees or Jobs want a background in economics, computer science anything mathematical .

I feel abit unsure of my math ability due to only being able to sit a foundation paper with my local college as they didn't offer the higher paper and for most of my mock papers I was getting a grade 5 after a couple of months.

Colleges just say not to worry about the end goal too much.
Original post by Rose_99
So I've applied for and been offered places for marketing and business /management bsc/ba
The main purpose of choosing this degree is so I can go into the marketing sector as most jobs ( excluding graduate schemes ) want a degree within business or marketing.
I've never had an office job or marketing job. Most business experience I've had is retail and buying and selling things. Research wise I've been trying to understand the pros and cons of jobs and I know probably not the best idea but I've been trying to understand roles at by watching vids of other people's experiences within the field as I don't know anyone who works in any of the fields I'm interested in.
I would prefer to get into a field that pays well as I am over 21 and going to uni is a very big investment for me.
I'm kinda stuck on what I'm doing as business was my best subject at school but i also never had the opportunity to study to economics . I have recently done as access course and I've done online courses .
I have asked family and friends about what they think I should do I usually get do an art or speech therapy degree.
I found that I like psychology but I prefer sociology, I'm fond of economics and finance but I'm not sure if I could handle the maths and I have an interest in data science and data analytics.
Job wise I suppose I would prefer a marketing based role
A business analytics or business intelligence job
Maybe market research
Pr or brand management
Data science
My main issue is being able to go on to a data science or data analytics masters after as as marketing and business isn't usually considered a mathematical degree.
I've noticed that alot of degrees or Jobs want a background in economics, computer science anything mathematical .
I feel abit unsure of my math ability due to only being able to sit a foundation paper with my local college as they didn't offer the higher paper and for most of my mock papers I was getting a grade 5 after a couple of months.
Colleges just say not to worry about the end goal too much.
I doubt in your position that a Marketing or Business Management degree is going to earn you a salary premium higher than starting an entry level job in that sector 3 years earlier. The range of jobs you are listing is too broad - they are very different roles and its highly unlikely you have the skills and qualifications for that range - geek to social butterfly!

I'd say, look at some big, local employers, university, councils, NHS, Police, any big company headquarters near you. They all have a wide range of jobs, and if you can get in anywhere and work hard at one job, it's usually much easier to expand or move role within the organisation. So even if you get an opportunity in Comms, it's close enough to marketing that you could move there in a couple of years. Or if you got an admin role, you could move to a data role in a couple of years.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
I doubt in your position that a Marketing or Business Management degree is going to earn you a salary premium higher than starting an entry level job in that sector 3 years earlier. The range of jobs you are listing is too broad - they are very different roles and its highly unlikely you have the skills and qualifications for that range - geek to social butterfly!
I'd say, look at some big, local employers, university, councils, NHS, Police, any big company headquarters near you. They all have a wide range of jobs, and if you can get in anywhere and work hard at one job, it's usually much easier to expand or move role within the organisation. So even if you get an opportunity in Comms, it's close enough to marketing that you could move there in a couple of years. Or if you got an admin role, you could move to a data role in a couple of years.
I have been applying and trying for over a year get into a marketing or admin or business /office related role and even agencies say no I need a degree in something. I have level 2 and level 3 qualifications in business administration which were suppose to help with finding employment but they haven't.

I dont know if I've picked the wrong business degree and maybe I should of picked something like finance
I just remember only really liking finance and marketing, accounting was okay nothing fun same for management. As you can imagine there aren't any degrees within England which offer finance and marketing today.

I've tried getting on to apprenticeships but some ask for my age and then don't bother messaging back, others say someone else has experience and I just don't hear back from the rest. I just feel abit lost I knew what I was doing last year but now I don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending