The Student Room Group

How to make my calculator give 1 when typing in -1^2 instead of (-1)^2

It used to be that when I squared the -1 without brackets, it would give me 1. I know this may not be correct in terms of priority of operands, but it's what I'm used to.

I also understand that there are two minus buttons and often the solution I'm told is that one of them should work. But both behave in the same way.

The calculator is a Casio fx-83ES. How do I achieve this in the settings?

Regards,

Wain.
Can you not just bracket things? My calculator does that too, you just have to pop it in brackets... The small negative sign is the right one, makes things negative rather than subtracts them.
Reply 2
If you need a calculator for that, you deserve to fail every single maths exam you ever sit.
-12 is -1, because according to BIDMAS, you do indices (powers) before subtraction. - it's -(12) = -1.
I know it's not quite the answer you want but why would you want to be able to square -1 on a calculator?
Reply 5
4 replies within a minute, wow.
Reply 6
He clearly doesn't want to do just -1^2, he means in general he wants it to work with any expression that has a negative sign :rolleyes:

No idea about your particular calculator OP, sorry. I just put everything in brackets.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Swayum
He clearly doesn't want to do just -1^2, he means in general he wants it to work with any expression that has a negative sign :rolleyes:

Yeah, exactly Swayum. It's just the way my calculator used to do it and I want it to be that same way again. I consulted the manual but couldn't figure it out. It saves time instead of having to write out brackets and such.
Reply 8
hat did you do to make it change in the first place?
Reply 9
Original post by Stank_Wain
It used to be that when I squared the -1 without brackets, it would give me 1. I know this may not be correct in terms of priority of operands, but it's what I'm used to.

I also understand that there are two minus buttons and often the solution I'm told is that one of them should work. But both behave in the same way.

The calculator is a Casio fx-83ES. How do I achieve this in the settings?

Regards,

Wain.

I really don't know why a calculator would let you do that, because it's mathematically wrong and there are obviously situations where if you changed bidmas it could get confused...on a slightly unrelated note, really, get a newer calculator, they show fractions and surds and powers much more easily! Also means you do standard form without worrying about brackets and so on and so on. Better casios can now also do numerical integration and summation, and they're still allowed in exams!
If you want it to be 1, why not just type in 1 and save yourself and the calculator some work?
Doesn't Shift Clear All work?
Reply 12
If it's a Casio FX83s then you may want to change the interface from Math Mode to Line Mode, or vice versa .... I don't know if that would change the order it does BIDMAS etc, but it does change in the input/output

On this calculator do [Setup] which is [Shift][Mode] and choose 1:MthIO or 2:LineIO

MathIO gives results like AB \frac{A}{B} , line just gives them as A/B

Personally I perfer Math Mode.

Quick Reply

Latest