The Student Room Group

June 10 2011 Maths 4H

Post Answers here and hopefully this 'Mr M' person will give us a unofficial mark scheme. !!!:smile:
Reply 1
Everyone keeps asking about the last question.. 90% sure it was 4.
(you are talking about IGCSE right?)
Reply 2
Original post by YThursday
Everyone keeps asking about the last question.. 90% sure it was 4.
(you are talking about IGCSE right?)

yup i got 4 as well.. something like 4/5(4b-a) was one of them and the other was 1/5(4b-a)

ca't remember exactly but yeah.. thought it was quite easy to be honest! but so was the 3h haha!
Reply 3
yes it was 4
Reply 4
Yeah, I find vectors easy.
I just didn't get the surds but it was like 2root5 or something.. I got lots of working (which turned out to be in the right direction), but crossed it out and didn't write anything else because I'm silly and thought I'd go back to it later, do you think it will be marked? I heard for normal GCSE if there is working crossed out but its right you can get the marks..

Also what was up with that x^2 +90x - 1200 question?! You know? the one with the person who spent 50x on stocks then got back like 600 + 5x, and x% it was WEIRD and I don't know anyone who knows they got it right.. any ideas?

Also, I know for the functions question the last part - the inverse ( (g)^-1) was like x/x-1 or something, but what were the answers to the other bits before it? I can't remember and its annoying me like crazy!
Reply 5
yea i agree with you those questions were hard and i left them out as well
Reply 6
Original post by YThursday
Yeah, I find vectors easy.
I just didn't get the surds but it was like 2root5 or something.. I got lots of working (which turned out to be in the right direction), but crossed it out and didn't write anything else because I'm silly and thought I'd go back to it later, do you think it will be marked? I heard for normal GCSE if there is working crossed out but its right you can get the marks..

Also what was up with that x^2 +90x - 1200 question?! You know? the one with the person who spent 50x on stocks then got back like 600 + 5x, and x% it was WEIRD and I don't know anyone who knows they got it right.. any ideas?

Also, I know for the functions question the last part - the inverse ( (g)^-1) was like x/x-1 or something, but what were the answers to the other bits before it? I can't remember and its annoying me like crazy!

i got that question.. basically you do the sale price - original price/original price = x/100
and you work it out from there.. it rearranges to give you that :smile:
now for the surds question, it said give it in the form of k rt 6
2 root 5 is a surd, but so's root 50, so it depends on the mark scheme... i'm not so sure right now!
Reply 7
Modular maths paper mark scheme????????????????????? ='(
Reply 8
Original post by CE.Guy
i got that question.. basically you do the sale price - original price/original price = x/100
2 root 5 is a surd, but so's root 50, so it depends on the mark scheme... i'm not so sure right now!

so it would be

600+5x-50x /50x = x/100
600-45x=50x^2/100
600-45x=x^2/2
1200-90x=x^2
0=x^2+90x-1200
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Need a Mark scheme nowwwwww!
Reply 10
For the shares question (which solve correctly) I used the equation:

50x(1+x/100)=600+5x
=50x+(x^2/2)=600+5x
=100x+x^2=1200+10x
=90x+x^2=1200
=x^2+90x-1200=0 as required

Is this correct?
Reply 11
Original post by CE.Guy

With the surd question, I concluded at 5root2, 2root5 doesn't make root50. o.o

2root5root6 =/= root48 + root108

5root2root6 or root50xroot6 = root48+root108

IMO, if we wrote either 5root2 or root50 as k it would be correct. I wrote both in my method (Got 5root2 first, but decided to make it root 50, knowing that 5 is root25 so root25root2=root50)

I don't think it would be right to penalize you if you wrote root50 instead of simplifying it to 5root2 since they're the same thing in terms of value. 7.07...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Woops double post.
Reply 13
mark scheme pleaseee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending